Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2012, 14:36   #31

Re: Maintenance - Tricks of the Trade

[QUOTE=Strait Shooter;891175]I too spent my life working in an aerospace manufacturing environment as a tool design engineer.
I sure miss having a full blown machine shop with all the accompanying support available. We'd have made short work of my "little" projects. We made quite a few "experiments".

Yeah, things are a lot harder now! That's funny, I started as a tool design/process/project engineer too! I loved it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 20:20   #32

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Before you shrink the tubing fill in each end of the tube with 5200 or another good sealant. Messy but keeps the water out even if it gets dunked
Old 21-02-2012, 05:35   #33

Boat: Watkins 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako
Yeah, it's the iron content in the 17-4ph etc and 400 series that does it. With 300 series, when work hardened without annealing it tends to realign the grain structure.... which makes it more magnetic. I spent my working life in an aerospace manufacturing environment. Had my guys make a lot of neat boat parts! (One was a 6Al-4V titanium fuel tank for the bilge!) Anyway, I bought a flat bar of 304 stainless to make some parts out of. Typically these bars are cold rolled on the final pass at the mill. The surface was a little rough, but fortunately , due to the cold work, it was so magnetic my guys were able to put it on the surface grinder (a magnetic table holds the metal in place) and grind it smooth before further work. In the end the assembly was annealed in a vacuum furnace & passivated so it came out well.
Yes. A more complete answer. I simply find it annoying when people complain about "cheep stainless steel" rusting. Ive been a mechanical engineer for over 20yr and can tell you the stainless is anything but cheep

And yes, I have a machine shop down the street that I'm always pestering to make parts for my boat. CNC's are wonderful machines
gpdno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 00:05   #34

Boat: Beneteau 473

Of prime importance is to use a die crimping tool which has a ratcheting action. It will NOT release your crimp until you have applied the correct pressure. They are a bit more expensive but are the ONLY type crimper you should use on marine wiring. The crimps they make are gas tight.
Wireless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 03:04   #35

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

Dielectric grease was used Because it was "non conductive", especially in or near a distributor cap.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:06   #36

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Actually this is not true. SS is often magnetic if it has been "Work Hardened".. ie: bent, formed, rolled and even machined. The screws on clamps often seem to be magnetic even if the calmp says "all stainless". Also, FYI: once SS is work hardened, it is more prone to rusting.... unless the surface is polished or passivated....
The more I read the more I learn, but it is also frustrating. Here is a reference re SS and magnetism: Magnetic Response Property of Stainless Steels

I was looking at this when removing the SS base for my compass wondering what will affect the deviation.
carlspackler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance