Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2015, 21:24   #1

Boat: 1967 Mariner 40
Maintaining polish job on brass trim

Removed the brass trim on the windows inside the cabin. I think they had never been cleaned since the boat was launched in 67. They are nice and shiny now but while stripping them it appeared that under the grime and corrosion there was the remains of some kind of shellac or sealer. Any ideas on what it might have been, but more importantly, how would any of the members protect the new shine, or do I just keep a can of Brasso handy. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Larry
Larry T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 22:24   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Maintaing polish job on brass trim

There are only two ways of keeping the brass shiny.

1. Polish very very well and clear coat with a brass lacquer - there various products usually available at your local hardware store. This will stay shiny until the lacquer breaks down and lets the air contact the brass. Should get a few years or more depending on location of the brass object. Inside lasts longer than outside (UV etc).

2. Keep the brasso handy and use every week. More work but will last as long as you do and IMO, the shine will be slightly better looking
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 23:01   #3

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

Give ProtectaClear a try. We have had it on a bunch of our brass inside the boat for a few years now and it is holding up well. Also Maas polish is some of the best I have ever used, much better then brasso in my opinion. https://www.everbritecoatings.com/ca...-only-c-7.html
Old 31-01-2015, 13:42   #4

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

1. Polish very very well and clear coat with a brass lacquer - there various products usually available at your local hardware store. This will stay shiny until the lacquer breaks down and lets the air contact the brass. Should get a few years or more depending on location of the brass object. Inside lasts longer than outside (UV etc).

2. Keep the brasso handy and use every week. More work but will last as long as you do and IMO, the shine will be slightly better looking
Those are the choices. I would chose #1 if it was me.
Old 31-01-2015, 17:38   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

p a t i n a

the lovely greenish coating on bronze ports that folks who actually sail their boats allow happen.
some folks use varathane on their bronze, but i prefer the patina, is a warmer ambiance andless work,.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 18:52   #6

Boat: Owner Builder

I recamend NYALIC supposed to last 3yrs+
Google it find the supplier & request a sample pot
this will probably do your window trims
BriaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 19:13   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

The natural color of bronze is green.
The natural color of teak is silver grey.
Trying to maintain them in other states is against Neptune's will - mess with him at your peril!

Jim
Old 31-01-2015, 20:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
The natural color of bronze is green.
The natural color of teak is silver grey.
Trying to maintain them in other states is against Neptune's will - mess with him at your peril!

Jim

Steady on Jimbo.
Let's see where this takes us; the natural colour of steel is rusty red; the natural colour of GRP is a yucky greyish greeny browny colour; the natural colour of wood is rotten black colour.

So maintain the rage, hold the line and pass around the brasso; polish on lads and Neptune be dammed
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 01-02-2015, 10:15   #9

Boat: 1968 Sparkman and Stephens. '1 ton' 36 ft, Kauri
Send a message via Skype™ to Saltyrope

Brass or bronze? Have you thought of having them plated? Not chrome plated finish but a finish in the colour or your choice. I used to use Autosol on my bright work, including brass plaques but now use Prism cleaner polish as it brings up a nice shine. Good for fibreglass rejuvenation as well. How to use Prism is on Youtube,
I have also used lacquer for brass to spray a barometer case that I was restoring. As long as not exposed to the weather the lacquer seems to last a few years. Good luck with what ever way you decide to go. Regards, John
Saltyrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 19:42   #10

If you heat the brass before you laquer it will absorb better
lhusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:53   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, lhusty.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 17:47   #12

Boat: Scout 30

Ports on boats are never brass, they are bronze. Bronze is not a silly decorative metal like brass, it's a man's metal. Polishing it is like putting lipstick on Steve McQueen.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:35   #13

A little curious; what is having it chrome plated like?
Old 03-02-2015, 03:42   #14

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

Plus:

3. Coat with gold. Electrolytic coating with gold costs surprisingly little (it depends on the gold price of the day). You could possibly do it yourself by applying gold leaf (which is what happens in many temples in Thailand and Burma), but electrolytic plating should be better. Gold-coated brass looks wonderful. Caution: do not polish the gold. It's a thin coat of a soft metal.

Al
Old 10-04-2015, 21:27   #15

Boat: 1967 Mariner 40

Hello Scout 30, You are right. Our ports are indeed bronze but our dead lights are trimmed with a brass rim about two inches in width on the inside of the cabin.
Larry
Larry T. is offline   Reply With Quote