Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2014, 20:30   #1

Boat: Still Looking
Maintaining a 45' Cutter Rigged ketch

Hi all. First post here. I am looking at buying a boat to live on and cruise. One I like is a 45' Carious cutter rigged ketch built of ferro cement. She was build in a proper yard. My question is this. How much should I budget to maintain her in a usable condition per month? Look forward to hear what you think.
savell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 21:43   #2

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43
Re: Maintaining a 45' cutter rigged ketch

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 22:12   #3

Found this...

45' Ketch Sailboat | sailboats | Victoria | Kijiji

1971, ferro, wooden spars.

The only guess I'd take is that a boat of that age and construction might need more maintenance than some other types.

Not what you asked but:

5/16" chain on a 19-ton 45-foot 2-sticker seems a little thin.
Mizzen looks odd without spreaders.
Portlights look a little crooked for a yard built boat if this is the one you're looking at.
bornyesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 23:34   #4

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I would get a very complete survey of the hull condition / painting / wooden spars. Until you have an accurate survey or present condition and quality of construction, it's impossible to predict how much it will cost to maintain. Boats of that age frequently require a major refit which costs a ton of money.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 00:44   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Maintaining a 45' Cutter Rigged ketch

Assuming that is the boat the lack of interior pictures is concerning. Wooden spars are always a big red flag, no listed engine size, ferro is not generally indicative of a high quality boat.

Frankly for this price I would be very cautious about preceding. The boat isn't a deal and there are a number of concerns I have about even qualifying its condition.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 00:51   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I've kept a 1973 41' fiberglass ketch on the US East Coast for thirty years. I've spent an average of about $500/month over those years. Many months are with little or no expense and then there comes a big ticket item. I am doing much of the labor myself and I shop for price & quality. I'm offering this number of $500/month, but you should realize many who spend more could do well with less and many who spend less need much more! Your labor and the condition of the boat are huge variables.

edit: I just noticed the wood main & mizzen. My first thought was just wood spreaders that could easily be refabricated to aluminum as I did with my old boat. I would figure the entire cost of replacing the rig into the purchase price. Some years of maintaining the wood spars can cost as much as a new aluminum set. Once again, there is the DIY factor, but few have the facilities to keep up with this kind of DIY maintenance.
Old 20-04-2014, 02:09   #7

Boat: 45ft Ketch

A good ferro is a low maintenance hull, but the hull is a small part of maintenance. 1st question is how much sailing are you planning to do? Upgrading to comfortable live-aboard standard is reasonably expensive but upgrading for a safe ocean crossing is another deal altogether.
If cost is critical go smaller and with least equipment you would find practical.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 08:49   #8

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I've kept a 1973 41' fiberglass ketch on the US East Coast for thirty years. I've spent an average of about $500/month over those years. Many months are with little or no expense and then there comes a big ticket item. I am doing much of the labor myself and I shop for price & quality. I'm offering this number of $500/month, but you should realize many who spend more could do well with less and many who spend less need much more! Your labor and the condition of the boat are huge variables.

edit: I just noticed the wood main & mizzen. My first thought was just wood spreaders that could easily be refabricated to aluminum as I did with my old boat. I would figure the entire cost of replacing the rig into the purchase price. Some years of maintaining the wood spars can cost as much as a new aluminum set. Once again, there is the DIY factor, but few have the facilities to keep up with this kind of DIY maintenance.
This strikes me as a sound average on which to base your assumptions. A boat with a solar panel and two 6V Group 27s ganged to run a VHF and a berth light will be cheaper than a more elaborately equipped vessel, which is why your question is basically unanswerable. The constant, however, is that jobs rarely cost the same amount. I've had six months during which I've bought a cotter pin and two rolls of electrical tape, but I may have done a lot of painting, soldering, crimping and lubricating in that period: I just didn't spend anything. Then the VHF and depth finder go over the same weekend, and I have to empty the piggy bank.

So it's a function of complexity, your aptitude and your willingness to make daily maintenance...even if it's only 15 minutes of bilge checking and switch-flicking...a part of your boating lifestyle.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 09:05   #9

Boat: Still Looking

Thank you all for your time in replying. Yes Bornyesterday found the right boat. I was on it yesterday. The standing rigging is two years old according to the owner. The engine was a 45 horse I think. The spars as far as I could see up we're in nice shape. I missed the no spreader on the mizzen completely so thank you bornyesterday. She comes across as workman like not yachty and appears clean and we'll cared for. Bare hull is visible in some places and looks as well faired as a glass boat. The toe rail is pour epoxy cement mix with two strands of rebar and mess armature which is interesting at the least. She feels massive when you are on her. The interior is nice but functional. Things are finished well at the least. I see what you mean about the port light being out of line with the rest. Missed that too although it could be lens distortion. I will see if I got a pic of that myself. The comment about how much I am going to sail hit home. She is a lot of boat for one man. I am sure I am going to pass on it.
savell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 16:51   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by savell View Post
................. She is a lot of boat for one man. I am sure I am going to pass on it.
You're alone? The only reason I'm on a 41' is because our two children grew larger in their teenage years. My wife and I have remained, but we would do well on a 34' boat. We have space now that we don't use. We only keep this boat because we're famiiar with it and it's paid for. If I were alone, I'd probably choose something in the lower thirties.
Old 20-04-2014, 17:34   #11

Boat: CORBIN 39

keep looking mate!
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cutter, ketch