Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2013, 16:11   #1

Mainship 36 aft cabin -89 waste tanks ?

Hello

We recently bought our 36 aft cabin. Live in Sweden.

Seems that this ome dont have any waste tanks mounted to the toilets.

Anyone know some normal good place where to put them ? What sizes did they make it on the factory and so on ? I only intend to mount it to one of the toilets. Not necessary to do it in both.

I see that it is prepared to empty them from the deck, so i guess theres maybe some dead space that they are meant to be placed in ?

best regards from sweden
tobbe69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 18:48   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Mainship 36 aft cabin -89 waste tanks ?

Our '87 Mainship III (34') had a head called a "Traveler" model... with its own integrated "holding tank" of about 8 gallons. That had a deck outlet for pump-out purposes. Don't know if Mainship used those in the 36 DCs, but if so... you'd certainly be improving things by fitting a proper holding tank of reasonable size. In fact, I would have thought one of the owners along the way might have done that already, by now...

-Chris
Old 29-11-2013, 19:03   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

I have a 1986 Mainship 36 DC (Aft Cabin). I also have the 2 travelers and the pump-out setup on deck. I too would have thought that after all these years someone would have come up with a newer system. I was thinking of plumbing them both into an ElectroScan/Electrosan unit. relatively small and legal in a lot of areas. The only other thing I could think of would be to remove the hot water tank and replace it with one on those 'instant hotwater" gizmo's. That would free up some space forward of the port engine. then you would either have to build a septic tank in place or get a bladder tank and 'box' it in somewhat. That would be no big deal except for the idea of a bladder tank kept nice and warm by the engines. Hot $hit, huh?
Hopefully someone else has come up with a better idea.
I never did ask the question on Yahoo Groups for Mainship.

Oh, and another thought was to make a fiberglass tank over a plywood form and lay it on the center area between the engines It would be approx. 6' long X 16" wide X 8" high for the outside dimensions. That would give around 26 Gal capacity. I haven't really pursued it because I think adding 8 " to the floor height would make engine work difficult. That takes me back to the bladder tank.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 19:24   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

A V shaped tank under the V-Berth would be the most logical solution for most people but for live-aboards' like myself it wont work. My tools take up all that space.

While thinking about this I just had another idea.
OK, You can buy a bladder tank and fabricate a plywood box around it with a lid. That would keep any odors at bay.
The next problem would be to transfer the waste from the Traveler tanks to the bladder tank. This could be moved with the macerator pump but you would have to monitor the bladder tank before the transfer so as not to overfill the bladder. If you have 2 9 gal Traveler tanks and a 20 gal bladder tank, that would give you 38 gal. capacity total. that should easily handle two people for a full week.

The only reason I wont fabricate fiberglass down there is because there would be no safe way to work with the fumes unless you had one of those breathing outfits with supplied air because you cant filter the resin fumes.

Another thought was to remove the travelers and make a new tank under the head but about twice as high. That would give you approx. two 15 gal tanks - one for each head for a total of 30 gals. that's getting more to a respectable amount of sewage. That would raise the potty seat substantially so a new foot rest would have to be made.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin, tanks