Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2011, 11:44   #1

Machine Shop Near Miami / Coconut Grove

Hi,
Anyone know a machine shop near Miami/Coconut Grove?
I was replacing a broken alternator bracket, and I think the threadng on the bolt is damaged (I'm fairly sure it's the right size) so I need to fix it or get a new one made.
I'm at dinner key mooring field and there's a great weather window on Tuesday to cross to Bimini that I am trying to make. So if anyone knows somewhere that I can get this taken care of I'd greatly appreciate it!

-S
sgtPluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 13:42   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Pluck, if it is just the bolt that is damaged? I'd look for an inexpensive tap and die set at Harbor Freight and just clean it up yourself. Or a small triangular file for a coupe of bucks, and clean it up the old fashioned way.

With tomorrow still being part of a holiday weekend...you'll have more luckfinding a hardware store or retailer open than a machine shop.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 09:37   #3

Re: Machine Shop Near Miami / Coconut Grove

Sorry I never replied, I got it sorted out and set out for Bimini and forgot about it.
It turns out that I was incorrectly assuming that the thread was damaged. What actually happened was : the original alternator bracket used two bolts, and the threads for one was US and the other was metric. I did not realize this, and when I ordered the replacement part, I assumed the threads were the same as the original. In fact they were both US on the new one. So I was trying to screw the metric bolt into the US thread on the new part. I finally figured this out after some head scratching, and a quick trip to Home Depot for the right bolt sorted it out.

Thanks for the tip though, I think I'll pick up a tap and die set when I can.
sgtPluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 10:52   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Machine Shop Near Miami / Coconut Grove

" So I was trying to screw the metric bolt into the US thread " ROFL. I think that is why metric parts were anodized blue or orange or similar for a number of years, to make it less confusing when you reached for something in the parts jar and it was rarely metric.
It's a good thing you needed a "US" bolt size, Home Depot sometimes has a rather sparse selection of metric, stainless, or other "special" parts.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miami