Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2010, 19:24   #1

Question Macerator Pump Blow Up !

Has anyone experienced a Jabsco maceration pump fall apart at the brass
threaded rods - corroding. This was a very bad thing and could have been much worse if I had allowed solids to be flushed. I have a 4 year old Hunter 33 and was horrified by the this failure-never heard of such a thing and want to avoid it in future-ANY IDEAS what may have caused this would greatly apprecated.
CS33H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 19:29   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
I had exactally the same thing happen. When we bought the boat the holding tank was emptied by the jabsco macerator pump. Well, I needed to empty the tank, so I turned on the pump, and it popped. Exactally the same failure you describe, the threaded rods gave up.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 19:32   #3

How old do you think your pump was?
Old 15-11-2010, 19:37   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
I can only guess it was between 2-6 years. I think it's just a bad design. If I had gone back with a pump type system I would have gone with a diaphram type discharge pump.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 19:41   #5

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
It is more likely due to a poor plumbing design. If the pump was originally installed at a low spot in the run to the tank such that waste sits there, the corrosion is inevitable. When you consider the pump isn't used often with corrosive fluid sitting in it, this is almost to be expected. Replace the pump and make sure it is properly located.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 19:46   #6

This makes sense. I just had never heard of this type of pump failing in such a way-pump is sealed from the threaded rods. My system is now re-piped to allow for fresh water flush when at dock I will monitor this pump close in the future. Thanks for your advice.
Old 15-11-2010, 20:50   #7

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
I've had several of these fail because of the brass rods some were only a couple of years old and installed on showers and in such a position that no water could sit in them and only fresh water with soap had gone through them. They occasionally get clogged with hair and need to be disassembled. I find that the rods seldom survive more than two disassemblies. I think the rods are so soft it is very easy to over tighten and fatigue them. I think the rods are just crappy materials and considering the price of the pump they could put a few pennies into higher quality rods.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote