Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2009, 17:28   #1

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Looking for Consensus on Paint to Buy

I am about ready to start redoing the topsides on Espina, and I figure the choices are either Pettit Easypoxy 1 part polyurethane or Interlux Brightsides 1 part polyurethane

Looking at the specs, both are more or less the same for application method, coverage and drying time. Price is the same on both as well.

The boat is a steel hull and deck, which was epoxy primed and can be sanded fairly smooth without a primer coat. The coach roof is epoxy coated glass cloth, again easy to sand before painting, so no primer is anticipated. (The coach sides are rotting off and will be repaired this fall so no need to worry about them. They are wood, epoxy coated )

So which one do I go with?

Sabre

106 days n a wake up.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 17:34   #2

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Neither! Interlux Toplac is the real deal. WAY above Brightsides...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 17:36   #3

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Neither,

1 part poly, is by nature a poor compromise. I have used both of these paints, and while they can work well you are better off using a 2 part paint IMHO.

The 1 part paints remain relatively 'soft' and are easily injured for some time. I know you are painting the decks, and not the hull, but any water that falls and sits on the newly painted surface can case it to bubble and fail over time.

For instance, my cockpit seats were painted with Interlux Brightsides applied IAW the label over their own primer. It failed where it was under my cockpit cushions and subjected to frequent moisture exposure. We painted the cockpit 42 days before we went crusising and the paint had not fully hardened.

I also saw failures on the toe rails where the dew ran down the decks the next morning, even though the paint was applied on a dry day at approximately 10am.

You can go to an auto store and get a good quality 2 part poly, or go to a marine supply place and get the same paint with a marine lable for more money... but I recommend a 2 part paint....

... Just one guys opinion.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 17:40   #4

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Neither! Interlux Toplac is the real deal. WAY above Brightsides...
Toplac is better, I only used it for my bootstripe (based on the Paxton rep's recommendation). It failed horribly, but the life of a bootstripe is a hard one so I have no reason to dispute Christian's opinion that it is better.

WM sells a ton of brightsides, and their store brand (which they swear is the same thing). Some folks are happy with what they get. I don't knock their experience, only share my own.

Good luck whatever you choose.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 18:53   #5

Boat: Westsail 32
Any finish you decide to utilize should be applied over the manufacturers approved primer for that product, follow directions to the letter concerning prep and application. I have used Interlux products on my own and customers boats for years and would not recommend using Brightside without primer over epoxy coatings without primer, the paint will start to fail very soon. Trying to save time and money will cost you money and time in the long run when you have to re-do the work over again. That being said I have absolutely no experience painting steel vessels however the information should be fairly easy to obtain, find out how the commercial operators of steel vessels do it. One part paints for decks will wear through very quickly; see the link for Durabak coatings, (http://www.nonslipcoating.com/) the toughest stuff I have ever used for decks. If the two part polyurethanes can be utilized on steel, (Interlux Perfection, Awlgrip) you are talking about a 7-15 year life expectancy of the coating vs. a couple for the single part paints. I have also provided a link for Hawkeye Industries maybe a source of help for surfacing products prior to coating, (http://www.duratec1.com/). I have attached pictures of a 72 Egg Harbor deck restoration that was completed with the Durabak product.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cutting Rotten Deck Area.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	511.6 KB
ID:	9415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Filled and Faired.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	483.7 KB
ID:	9416  

Name:	Applying Durabak to Foredeck II.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	500.8 KB
ID:	9417   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Foredeck.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	475.7 KB
ID:	9418  

Name:	New Durabak Foredeck.jpg
Views:	866
Size:	492.0 KB
ID:	9419  
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 07:19   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
The recent Practical Sailor had a comparision on paints.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 08:39   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
With a steel hull you going to be chasing down rust bleeds no matter how fancy the paint. I would would use a really good one part marine paint given the frequency of having to do touch up painting over steel. I don't think you will want the expense and the hassle of having to touch up with something like Awlgrip.

For the wood, a one part relatively flexible paint is fine. I painted over the exterior brite work of my boat with Petit Easypoxy (not actually an epoxy) with really good success.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 09:31   #8

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
I used the Brightsides enamel on some projects about 4 years ago, and found it was not easy to apply--hard to find the right amount of thinner to keep it from sticking and running. However, the end result still looks good.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 15:22   #9

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Quote:
Looking for Consensus on Paint to Buy
Consensus? On this forum? Get serious.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 15:35   #10

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Ok, I checked out Topsides, it appears to be unavailable in Canada. Probably our governments concern for my health. (thanks guys!)

As for the two part, I agree it is a much superior paint, and if this was Sabre Dance there'd be no question that 2 part would be the way to go. However, Espie is an old boat I'm trying to sell, and Im already way down on any return on my investment. She needs to be painted in the worst way, and one part will have to be it.

I have a quart of Brightsides already so I may as well just get some more and have at it. I will sand the deck and bulwarks, pressure wash it and see how it looks. If a prime coat is required, then that will be next. Finally a coat of paint with some nonskid added.

Many thanks for the replys gents, its appreciated.

Sabre
105 days n a wake up
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 15:57   #11
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Good old oil based enamel is what I'm using now.. I tried some two part poly on my last boat. After some years of hard service when I went to repaint, the darned stuff wouldn't feather and all had to come off. Oh yeah the enamel only cost 15 a gallon.Surface prep is the key to good adhesion. Don't skip the primer.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote