Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2018, 15:48   #1

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58
Looking For A Yard In The SE To Have My Rigs Pulled

Hey all. been gone a while but I'm back with a question for you. I'm looking at buying a 58ft ketch but the masts need to be repainted which to be done properly will require that they be unstepped. the boat is currently in the Virgin Islands and I'm taking the boat to Maine so I'd like to do the work somewhere int he islands or somewhere in the southeast US so I don't have to worry about it being warm enough to work like I would in Maine. anyone have any recommendations for a yard that is reputable and can pull and re-step the rigs on a boat this size? I also need a yard that allows owners to do their own work. I figured I'd ask here first before I just started googling every boatyard in the southeast.

thanks in advance.
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 16:01   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Looking For A Yard In The SE To Have My Rigs Pulled

There are several boat yards in SE Florida that allow you to do your own work, and have facilities to pull your rig.
* Playboy Marine in Fort Lauderdale
* Cracker Boy in Riviera Beach and Fort Pierce
* Riverside Marina in Fort Pierce

Good luck!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 16:25   #3

there are a couple near Oriental, NC
Sailcraft
Bock Marine

-dkenny64
dkenny64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 16:33   #4

Boat: Looking for a new boat

In terms of price you will absolutely not beat Maine. Most yards there are DIY. My family owns a yard on scenic Islesboro and I could probably get you a good deal on a haul out and unstepping of the mast. April is right around the corner!
Old 20-01-2018, 16:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
In terms of price you will absolutely not beat Maine. Most yards there are DIY. My family owns a yard on scenic Islesboro and I could probably get you a good deal on a haul out and unstepping of the mast. April is right around the corner!
man I love Islesboro. haven't sailed in penobscot bay since I was at Maine maritime. Portland is my homeport now and where I run my charter company out of. this ketch was out of the water in december so it really doesn't need a haulout. I just need to pull the rigs so I can paint them.
Old 20-01-2018, 16:46   #6

Boat: Knysna 440

We are currently working on a refit at Wilmington Marine Center here in Wilmington, NC.

Our refit includes all new standing and running rigging, re-configuring our bowsprit to accommodate a Mantus anchor as well as a new reefing system which will now be led to the cockpit. We are about 1/2 way through the rigging project and pleased with the project...we are under budget and on time!! Our level of participation on this project has been fairly minimal since we are also re-powering and completing 100 other small items.

Wilmington Marine Center is headed by Hank Hinckley (Hinckley Yachts from Maine). He essentially was born in to the sailing industry and probably knows more about your boat than you could imagine.
BillsWife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 16:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsWife1 View Post
We are currently working on a refit at Wilmington Marine Center here in Wilmington, NC.

Our refit includes all new standing and running rigging, re-configuring our bowsprit to accommodate a Mantus anchor as well as a new reefing system which will now be led to the cockpit. We are about 1/2 way through the rigging project and pleased with the project...we are under budget and on time!! Our level of participation on this project has been fairly minimal since we are also re-powering and completing 100 other small items.

Wilmington Marine Center is headed by Hank Hinckley (Hinckley Yachts from Maine). He essentially was born in to the sailing industry and probably knows more about your boat than you could imagine.
how are the rates?
Old 20-01-2018, 17:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenhawaiian View Post
how are the rates?
I find them very reasonable. Hank does not charge for his time for advice and guidance and has an open door policy to assist us on our DIY projects.

We were at another yard near Beaufort, NC when we first started our refit. After 3 incidents of feeling like we were being pick pocketed we made a trip down the coast visiting a number of yards. As soon as we sat down with Hank we knew it was the right fit. As much of an ass pain as it was we relaunched and moved to WMC. It was the absolute best decision we made.

Our prior yard either charged us for every single minute somebody glanced at our boat (and I believe over charged us when we were not present). In addition their final bills were double to triple any quote they gave us.

They would not give us any guidance on our DIY projects. I was not looking for free help, but you can not seriously answer a single simple question??? A simple question like "Can I gel coat over this product?" (that we bought from you) We were told ""I'll send a technician over"...that's $75 per hour billed in 15 minute increments to have 1 question answered!

Every single bill we have gotten at WMC has been at or below quote. I will say that I do keep a log book to make sure I pay for all services used and not billed for things I did not. I believe that their prices are listed on their website.
Old 20-01-2018, 17:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsWife1 View Post
I find them very reasonable. Hank does not charge for his time for advice and guidance and has an open door policy to assist us on our DIY projects.

We were at another yard near Beaufort, NC when we first started our refit. After 3 incidents of feeling like we were being pick pocketed we made a trip down the coast visiting a number of yards. As soon as we sat down with Hank we knew it was the right fit. As much of an ass pain as it was we relaunched and moved to WMC. It was the absolute best decision we made.

Our prior yard either charged us for every single minute somebody glanced at our boat (and I believe over charged us when we were not present). In addition their final bills were double to triple any quote they gave us.

They would not give us any guidance on our DIY projects. I was not looking for free help, but you can not seriously answer a single simple question??? A simple question like "Can I gel coat over this product?" (that we bought from you) We were told ""I'll send a technician over"...that's $75 per hour billed in 15 minute increments to have 1 question answered!

Every single bill we have gotten at WMC has been at or below quote. I will say that I do keep a log book to make sure I pay for all services used and not billed for things I did not. I believe that their prices are listed on their website.
sounds like a fantastic place. think their crane is up to the task of pulling the rigs from a 58ft boat?
Old 20-01-2018, 18:10   #10

Quote:
sounds like a fantastic place. think their crane is up to the task of pulling the rigs from a 58ft boat?
They have two different options. 1) the travel lift has a crane attachment that can handle smaller masts. 2) an actual crane.

Our air draft is 63' when attached. We opted for option 2 since our mast is pretty beefy. I believe that my husband posted photos on our facebook account. SVCaterpillar or maybe on our website Home - Sailing S/V Caterpillar

Keep in mind that this is a small yard. Everyone is super friendly and almost all of us have some level of DIY augmented with services from the yard. I think until Hank took over it did not have a great reputation. They do have some growing pains, but I have always felt that 1. they do the right thing 2. they are honest 3. they will work with you to make sure things are moving in the right direction. Hank and his team often ask us "Is there anything you need from us?" Mostly they are decent humans. Our last yard I always felt like they were looking to charge you extra to smile at you.

For your rigging project you will be working with Lars. He's a great guy and lays everything out for us, including items that we should do ourselves to save $$.
Old 21-01-2018, 10:03   #11
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon, 420 owners version

An ex-Mainer, Hank Hinckley is running the service side of Wilmington Marine Center on the Cape Fear River in Wilmington, NC. Great yard with good people.
Old 21-01-2018, 15:55   #12

Boat: O'Day 34

I've been a customer of Riverside Marina in Ft Pierce, Fl for 20 years. DYI friendly. Big, modern travelift in a family owned and operated facility for 40'years. There's 2 parts of this Marina so make sure you deal with Sally.
Joe, her son, just completed a radar/ solar panel arch on our boat. Great job and 1\2 the cost of other quotes.
Attached pic is before aft cockpit rails were added. $3k range.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	162619  
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 17:13   #13

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
man I love Islesboro. haven't sailed in penobscot bay since I was at Maine maritime. Portland is my homeport now and where I run my charter company out of. this ketch was out of the water in december so it really doesn't need a haulout. I just need to pull the rigs so I can paint them.
Awesome man. Swing by any time. PM me for details. If you are just looking for in the water pulling of the sticks I believe there's a couple of places on the Hudson with DIY cranes where you can do it for free! I'm a bit of a miser! LOL
Old 21-01-2018, 18:25   #14

Seminole Marine in Palm Beach Gardens. 561 622-7600
Var Korall is offline   Reply With Quote