Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 11:14   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Looking for a tiller to wheel conversion kit

I'm thinking the tiller is better for cruising because even when forced to steer you can be close to the cabin and up under the dodger protected from the elements.

Also, autopilots are cheaper.

When anchored (or at the marina), you can raise the tiller and have the whole cockpit open.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:08   #17

Quote: "I'm not sure what Calif.Teds issue was that it took two people to turn at the dock. He must have had the pedestal brake on."

I'm sure Ted means that it takes two peiople to turn the BOAT, not the wheel. The vast majority of the responses are "DON'T!". I concur. Wheel steering in SMALL boats is a PITA, a waste of badly needed space and money.

Your problem with people having to move is all in your own mind. For two reasons: 1: The boat - Cat27 IS a SMALL boat - LIKES to have as many people on the weather side as you can contrive. The Cat 27 more than most, because she is fat and has little deadrise but much freeboard. 2: The people haven't been trained by you. The actual evolution of going about and shifting people (ballast) at the right moment is a piecacake and actually a part of te fun for the crew - even if they are total lubbers.

Trente Pieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 17:58   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Too many and they’re all for sale

Spend your money on a below mount autohelm. You can use that to hold your course underway and keep the tiller flipped back if the cockpit is loaded with people looking for a boat ride. Keeps your cockpit free and gives you a highly desirable upgrade.

Feel free to ask me about actual full service brokerage for only 7% with Knot 10 Yacht Sales - find me on our crew page, Spencer Kent
FutureStories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:58   #19

Boat: 1968 Morgan, Yawl, 41 ft.

I had a Hughes 29 that I converted from tiller to wheel with motor controls on the pedistal for several reasons. On long hauls, the constant weather helm with a tiller was tiring particularly for wife and kids. In manouvering in tight marinas, having motor controls and steering directly at hand was much safer. Finally, when it came to selling, the idea of wheel steering was appealing to far more buyers.
I bought a pedistal at a used sail shop in Annapolis, and the rest of the gear at various mail order shops. It helps if you have 4 ft long arms, the strength of a gorilla, and a small contortionist body.
We sailed the 1000 Islands for 20 years with wheel steering and sold for more than we paid for her.
Go ahead and do it.
JohnSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:09   #20

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Another great source for wheel equipment is in consignment shops. I am not familiar with any in Michigan however there are several good ones in the vicinity of Newport Rhode Island. The ones I visited had a lot of good equipment. I suppose you could call them and see what if anything is available. The two I know of are The Ships Store (www.ShipsStoreRI.com) and Newport Nautical (Newport Nautical Supply)
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel