Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 02:15   #1

pirate Looking at a project boat

Trying to get a realisted idea about the cost of a do-up.
The problem is the big items namely 1. Motor is frozen, it has been on the hard for three years and won't turn.The motor just looks so good, like new.2.The standing rigging is low quality SS and needs to be replaced.
The boat is a 45 foot Ketch rigged.
The hull ,sails and most other systems all seem in good to excellent condition.[from survey]
What's your best estimination at the cost of freeing up the engine and replacing the standing rigging.
saltiepaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:10   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Your question is a little vague. Is it a Ketch, Sloop or??? I'm curious about the hull material. I you sure it's the motor? It could be in gear. If you are paying anything substantial for it, have a mechanic look at the engine. What is the horsepower? What make of vessel? With some of this info, people can toss some numbers for you.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:05   #3

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Allot depends on if you do it yourself. If you use swedge fittings on your rigging, for materials I would guess at the least 3K more like up wards of 4K you could add 2K for Sta-Lok's. Then labor. The engine depending on size and make, for parts for a complete overhaul you could spend as much as 4K. A new engine depending on size you would probably need something larger than 65 hp for the size of boat. You could spend around 15K. So for both items 8-30k depending on what your involvement would be.
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:32   #4

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea
Just remember that what ever your final estimate is....double it! Has always worked for me.
Old 07-03-2009, 17:21   #5

Thanks for your advice /comment.
I intend to inspect the boat during the Easter holidays. To date I have been sent parts of a previous survey and seen pictures of the boat.Waiting on xtra information to help to see if it is worth the $'s and time.
saltiepaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 17:23   #6

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Please post the manufacturer if you can...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote