My boat was stored for about 3-5years before I got hold of her. She was stored with the mast
up, so all the running rigging
. Worse, the furling gear
was still up, and wind
vibration caused the mainsail furling
to give way at the top end, and come crashing down. Given the forestay was the same vintage and no parts
available, I replaced both.
As for the engine
, it was in great shape. Started right up with a huge puff of smoke then ran fine. Apparently the owner did come done periodicly and turn the motor
over by hand and put more antifreeze
in the systems.
Water system was emptied and partly filled with antifreeze
, and the pressure system was filled as well. The head
tank was emptied and partly filled.
Both batteries were reading 12.45 volts in the dead of winter, so he must have been keeping them up, although its possible he replaced them both before selling the boat. I can't find any date stamps on them so its hard to tell.
Interiorwise, the cushions
were clean and only slightly damp but they are also moldy. Im replacing them in stages. All the lockers were open, and there was only a bit of mold
in one. The boat was keep shut up all the time with no cover of any sort. I guess he came down in the spring and aired her out, then shut her up again.
This winter, I've winterized the engine, and water system. The mast
is down, and wrapped up. Batteries were both charged at the end of october, and read 12.26 and 12.35 last month, when I put the charger
on for a bit. Back up to 12.45-47. All the lockers are opened up, and the forward 2 ports
on either side are open with a tarp over the deck
at that point. Good airflow. I had originally closed her up completely, but found that the inside surfaces were very damp to dripping wet due to heavy condensation
, so I opened the ports
and rigged the tarp to keep snow out. Worked ok.
Next winter I intend to build a greenhouse over the cockpit
and aft part of the cabin
, about 13-14 feet long, This way I'll be able to keep snow out of the cockpit
, and allow the main hatch
to be cracked open, and also the galley
overhead. I am replacing the head
mushroom vent and the hanging locker mushroom vent with a large diameter solar
powered intake/extraction fan. These will be exposed to open air and should help with the condensation