Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2014, 09:45   #61

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: Long rubber propane lines okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
...I will need a hose I can terminate myself. I am not concerned about US or Australian compliance at all. I don't plan to sail anywhere near those places and the compliance factor is not really relevant from what I can see....

...I am concerned about doing it right and having a safe boat for a long time.
This begs the question: Is ABYC compliance overkill?
I always thought that the rules and guidelines are supposed to help us do it right and have a safe boat for a long time... ...am I wrong?
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 10:06   #62

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Quote:
What? sorry about that. all you Europeans sound alike to me.
Might be able to find a French version.
I bought my wife a ukulele for Valentine's Day. She's now had it just three weeks. She had never played a string instrument before. She found some online video tutorials, and is playing a lot of stuff. Led Zepplin, for example. Just when you mistakenly think you know a woman...

I'm going to do the same for my new fiddle. the online lessons, I mean.

Now is this thread drift, or what?
autohijack?

Back on track, I have been following up on every link you guys have posted. I have gotten quotes for 100 ft. lengths of hose plus a dozen connectors and a tee. quotes have varied from under $ 100 to over $1200 for this propane hose. No kidding.

Thanks for the help. We're not going cheap cheap cheap on this boat. not doing $1200 either. That piece of hose and the fittings would cost me about $1900 by the time I had it in my hands. Obviously, I am not going with the high end.

I will need a hose I can terminate myself. I am not concerned about US or Australian compliance at all. I don't plan to sail anywhere near those places and the compliance factor is not really relevant from what I can see. This boat has been through at least four surveys that I know of, by USA surveyors, and has been USCG documented for it's entire life. Didn't stop someone from selling it to me like this in the good old USA.
I am concerned about doing it right and having a safe boat for a long time.
First off, let me say that with the Mrs. learning to play the squeeze box and you the fiddle, I feel for your neighbors...

Secondly, if your hose is going directly from a barbed or bulb bib at the pressure regulator end to an equally barbed or bulb bib on the appliance, I don't see why you'd need crimped fittings, when regular automotive clamps should be sufficient.

After all, there's no more of a pressure or vibration issue than you'll find in you're average non fuel injected car's fuel line, and they've been using them forever. If you want to go crazy and please your local surveyor, you might even find stainless T-bolt clamps to fit, but that's about as far as I'd go.*

Jacques

* Since I'm a smoking Frenchman, this last comment might be irrelevant.
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 10:18   #63
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

My local surveyor? ha ha. Thanks. That made me smile.

I am living in a country where it is not uncommon to use big nails to attach outboard motors twice the rated horsepower of the transom. The boat is probably a direct knockoff from a mold made on a Boston Whaler. I doubt 10% of the local boats here have either a compass, a radio, or a life preserver on board. They have an outboard, a gas can, and a bailing can. There is no registration. No inspection. No Coast Guard. You can ride standing on the bow of a bow rider. You can put twenty people into an 18 ft boat if you want to, and drive it right along side the marine police and exchange cold beers while underway. This is absolutely no problem at all.

And if that overloaded boat sinks, it's a tragedy, but no charges would be filed by anyone. The passengers could decide whether to board the boat or not. Their choice.

It's like this gas line thing. There's nothing driving me to upgrade it except my own personal desire to do it right. If I do it wrong and blow it up, there will be no investigation. No finding. No citation. Because I would have not broken any laws whatsoever. I can basically do to my boat whatever I want to do. Scary, eh? No Big Brother telling me how to do it.
With freedom, comes some responsibility. And some tradeoffs. For me it's worth it.

She's not playing the squeeze box, I got her a ukulele. And I've been playing the fiddle for five years now. I just want to learn to read music for it.
Old 19-03-2014, 10:36   #64

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

The yellow plastic pipe (PET I think) is used to carry natural gas in the USA, but only legal for buried installation by professionals, it has no UV protection. Having run a gas line to my outdoor kitchen at my house I looked into it, was not allowed, I had to run steel pipe, and they have steel pipe with epoxy coating to prevent rust.

Seems to me if you run the yellow plastic pipe inside a conduit to protect from UV and chafe, might work fine.

I used PEX for my gasoline lines in my custom car (because lightweight and E85 tolerant and flexible) and wrapped it with aluminum tape.
Old 19-03-2014, 10:59   #65

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Quote:
My local surveyor? ha ha. Thanks. That made me smile.

I am living in a country where it is not uncommon to use big nails to attach outboard motors twice the rated horsepower of the transom. The boat is probably a direct knockoff from a mold made on a Boston Whaler. I doubt 10% of the local boats here have either a compass, a radio, or a life preserver on board. They have an outboard, a gas can, and a bailing can. There is no registration. No inspection. No Coast Guard. You can ride standing on the bow of a bow rider. You can put twenty people into an 18 ft boat if you want to, and drive it right along side the marine police and exchange cold beers while underway. This is absolutely no problem at all.

And if that overloaded boat sinks, it's a tragedy, but no charges would be filed by anyone. The passengers could decide whether to board the boat or not. Their choice.

It's like this gas line thing. There's nothing driving me to upgrade it except my own personal desire to do it right. If I do it wrong and blow it up, there will be no investigation. No finding. No citation. Because I would have not broken any laws whatsoever. I can basically do to my boat whatever I want to do. Scary, eh? No Big Brother telling me how to do it.
With freedom, comes some responsibility. And some tradeoffs. For me it's worth it.

She's not playing the squeeze box, I got her a ukulele. And I've been playing the fiddle for five years now. I just want to learn to read music for it.
Sorry about the confusion, I'm sure your neighbors will a lot happier with the uke than they would have been with my granddaughter's squeezebox. On the other hand, learning to read music is like learning another language (read: basically a bitch unless you start young).

For the rest, I'm an anarchist at heart, so rules and regulations only serve to guide me in the personal choices I make and take full responsibility for.

This said, they do help cut down the homework.
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 13:28   #66
One of Those

Studied woodwinds for several years in my distant youth, sax, oboe etc. blues fiddle is my latest.
Old 19-03-2014, 13:30   #67
One of Those

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
The yellow plastic pipe (PET I think) is used to carry natural gas in the USA, but only legal for buried installation by professionals, it has no UV protection. Having run a gas line to my outdoor kitchen at my house I looked into it, was not allowed, I had to run steel pipe, and they have steel pipe with epoxy coating to prevent rust.

Seems to me if you run the yellow plastic pipe inside a conduit to protect from UV and chafe, might work fine.

I used PEX for my gasoline lines in my custom car (because lightweight and E85 tolerant and flexible) and wrapped it with aluminum tape.
Thanks,and I may have to import that. Cannot get any info on local stuff.
Old 19-03-2014, 13:31   #68
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Haven't seen it mentioned..
In another job we used nylon tubing to transfer pressurized Helium gas. Helium permeates almost any material, yet nylon tubing was considered good for the task.
Therefore should be more than enough for low pressure propane.
And it is inexpensive enough - some $28 for 100' 1/4" O.D. at ebay..
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 14:19   #69

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

canibul - it has been a few years but I worked for an injection molding company that made large thick walled gas fittings - the material was HDPE (think milk jugs) but this was for direct burial, HDPE does not do well with a lot of UV. assuming you have a solenoid shutting off outside the cabin, there is essentially no pressure when not cooking and very little while you are cooking. I just checked and the "yellow" pipe is also HDPE. Nylon tubing would also work (much better in UV), both would require ferrules. Replace it with "approved" yellow when you get to civilization.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane