Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2013, 12:27   #31

Boat: Columbia 24
Re: Living aboard a 25 ft while crossing oceans

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
Having built your boat from the hull up and thus knowing and taking ownership of every system on-board already gives you a better basis for voyaging then I would say many others have.

For those stringers, the type of pipe doesn't matter. On mine it was sliced lengthwise to give a half-moon cross-section. The only purpose of the pipe is to stand-off the fiberglass tape that you laminate over it. The FG is the only part that gives the strength in this technique.
Eumelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 12:33   #32

Boat: Vancouver 27

"Fair prices" as it relates to the six letter word "marine" is a tough one, and I echo what webwench said about using the best. At least for the "essentials" like rigging and structural components as it relates to ocean-going, you'd really be best served by going with the higher end stuff like Loos rigging (as opposed to discount rigging made in China) and good quality marine plywood for your bulkheads.

The nice thing about a small DIY boat is that the best stuff in the quantities you'll be looking for still isn't all that difficult to swallow. Find a local lumber supplier who sells marine-grade. One nice sheet of 1/2 or 3/4 ply will be the most expensive piece of ply you've probably ever bought, but will go a long way on your boat and be well worth it not only structurally but also aesthetically. You want tight layers with good quality glue and no voids. Biaxal cloth/tape is an excellent tabbing material for bulkheads. It expensive and usually sold in large quantities ($600 or so for a 50yd roll I believe), but that should be all you would need for everything.

Having made the mistake in the past, I'd recommend taking on projects more or less one at a time and researching the hell out of each one before you get carried away with buying supplies. At the same time, try to make sure you have everything you will need on hand for the project at hand.

And if you're re-doing your portlights, if you've got factory right now I doubt those will be strong enough to take a punch from a breaking wave. You will probably want to replace.

Also make sure you invest in good quality thru hulls and sea cocks. If you're going simple and install a composting head over the traditional marine toilet, you should only need a few holes in your boat (one for raw water for inboatd if applicable, one for sink drain, and maybe one for sea water intake for sink).

Lots of high-end marine hardware here, but some of the best: http://www.robinhoodmarinecenter.com/spartanmarine/

When you (re)bed any deck hardware, cut holes larger than needed, fill with epoxy to seal off balsa core and then re-drill to size. Countersinking the final holes slightly is a good idea to give whatever sealant you use a nice O-ring type seal that has plenty of room to flex. I been using marine-grade butyl tape recently for bedding compound and love it. Need Butyl Tape ?? Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 12:38   #33

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Yep. Guess being polite gets overlooked sometimes.
It's alright skipmac I think you're a good guy
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 12:45   #34

Boat: Newport 30 mk11

For all the people that want to debate whether or nota project like ths has merit. I have set up a thread for you to debate it. The threadfs heading is "TO BUILD AND REFIT OR NOT" have fun. Charley
trapoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 13:07   #35

Adelie the inner for-stay sounds like a very good idea, i think a small bow pulpit and move the forward stay to the end of it. I could then use the original mounting point for the inner stay. I particularly care for roller furling jibs,it seems like more parts to fail whats your opinion ? as for the shrouds I believe this boat already has double shrouds. I plan on upgrading the wire size. Thanks again Charley
Old 31-10-2013, 13:21   #36

Laika I appreciate your input. I have already found out about the low quality Chinese stuff on the market. With all the storms and hurricanes that have happened in the last 10 yrs there must be a lot of stuff of sufficient quality on the used market that could save some cost. I would like to keep the systems simple and redundant. I have done a small amount of research on composting heads and would like to hear from people who are currently using them. Thanks guys this is great information.
Old 31-10-2013, 13:54   #37
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

you're planning on crossing an ocean in a bayliner 25? good luck
Old 31-10-2013, 13:58   #38

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
TROLL or Disturbed.
See I thought troll but after seeing how committed he is to this I would just say someone that cant take criticism.

The idea of refitting and customizing that boat is awesome! (I wish I have the time and funds to do that just for the fun of it.) However the idea to take it water sailing">blue water sailing IMO not so awesome. But shhhh don't tell him that boat may be ill suited for that type of trip he might get angry.
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 14:55   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

We all have our daemons, I hope he handles his before he gets in deep water. Maybe he will realize then that we were not posting for our entertainment. I wish him safe journey and more importantly, enlightenment.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 14:55   #40

Boat: sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapoc View Post
I have a buccaneer 250 that I have completely gutted out. I have removed the factory bulkheads and am installing new bulkheads in different locations and more of them.
Good for you for getting into a project that you dig.
Putting aside where or how you want to sail, only thing I question is relocating bulkheads in different locations and or adding more of them.
Bulkheads are typically structural components located in key areas for a reason....
misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 15:05   #41

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
(That said, if I was in your shoes...I saw a bare hull Nor'Sea 27 for sale for $2000 recently..something like that).
FYI that sold some time ago. I was tempted in it myself but don't need two of them.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 15:26   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapoc View Post
For all the people that want to debate whether or nota project like ths has merit. I have set up a thread for you to debate it. The threadfs heading is "TO BUILD AND REFIT OR NOT" have fun. Charley
And this is still an open forum and any member is still allowed to comment as they like on any thread they like.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 15:28   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
We all have our daemons, I hope he handles his before he gets in deep water. Maybe he will realize then that we were not posting for our entertainment. I wish him safe journey and more importantly, enlightenment.
Unfortunately do not see any chance of a change of course here.
Old 31-10-2013, 15:35   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
See I thought troll but after seeing how committed he is to this I would just say someone that cant take criticism.

The idea of refitting and customizing that boat is awesome! (I wish I have the time and funds to do that just for the fun of it.) However the idea to take it blue water sailing IMO not so awesome. But shhhh don't tell him that boat may be ill suited for that type of trip he might get angry.
I once met a guy that sailed a 26' Macgregor to the USVI so he might make it, with luck or good seamanship.
Old 31-10-2013, 15:39   #45

Rhapsody the bulk heads in the front this boat were designed to take the load from the mast. I am changing the mast support to a compression post which goes from the base of the hull to the deck. I am then building a new support structure for the chain plates. This is where the relocating of the forward most bulkheads comes into play. I will be adding several more bulkheads in various locations and making some areas water tight. I have been told that because bayliner built this particular boat that it has to be junk, I'm wondering what people would think if it had been built by Pearson, Triton or us yachts. What I have is an absolutely bare hull now other then the bolts holding the two halves together what has the manufacturer done wrong? The glass is in great condition other then some coring around the windows the deck is solid and in good shape. I will replace the coring material and install fixed windows. I'm looking for a good weather seal for the forward hatch any suggestions ? Thanks Charley

Tags
living aboard