Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2006, 03:03   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
2 Lightning Fallacies

So called “Static Dissipaters” DON'T work.
http://www.strikeshield.com/Lightnin...issipators.pdf

A BLUNT tip (1/2" dia round) makes a better Lightning Rod (Air Terminal) than a sharp tip.
http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_...od_recent.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 07:43   #47

That's a good one Gord.

Thank you once again. For your wonderful insite once again.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 13:41   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
There is onlyone Sure way of avoiding a lightening strike. It's called "Warp factor 1 Sulu"

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 18:31   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
CaptainK
The boat came with 3 Maleron seacocks. They looked newer than the boat but there did not seem to be any damage repair where they were mounted. The previous owner did not mention that type of damage. The hull is plywood/epoxy and they are not located near the damage areas on the hull. It took out most of the electronic devices onboard also.
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 18:33   #50
Kai Nui

Old 24-02-2006, 19:58   #51

Steve.

At least a sinking of the boat was at least averted!

But, man. I have read the stories of some boats getting their seacocks blown right off the hull. Due to lightning stirkes!

I'm glad that your boat had the Maleron seacocks. Instead of the standard brass type. I hear that the Maleron are better? But maybe we could save that for another thread?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 25-02-2006, 16:03   #52
Kai Nui

I still prefer bronze to marelon. The big question with bronze is to bond or not to bond. The potential for lightlning damage is a very good reason not to bond bronze thru hulls IMO. The first haulout of any boat I have owned has always included replacing any plastic thruhulls, marelon or abs, with bronze. I do not bond the thru hulls.
Old 25-02-2006, 16:12   #53

Kai.

So that's the difference?

See. I'm still learning about these things!!

Old 26-02-2006, 01:36   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Kai Nui mistakenly supposes that ”... The big question with bronze is to bond or not to bond ...”

From a Lightning Protection (Amelioration) standpoint, there is no question regarding bonding seacocks for lightning protection.
Virtually very knowledgeable authority recommends that Bronze Seacocks be Bonded to the Lightning Protection System Equalization Bus.

The question of whether to bond or isolate is answered by the practical impossibility of adequately isolating against lightning potential.

Corrosion is an entirely separate issue.

Respectfully,
Gord May

Old 26-02-2006, 12:34   #55
Kai Nui

I stand corrected. I am aware that bonding is a function of corrosion prevention, however, I had assumed, while creating an electrical bond between the thruhulls the likelyhood of damage to multiple locations along the hull would be increased. This is just my understanding of it, but I am no expert whe it comes to lightning. If this incorrect, well, now I know. I still chose not to bond my thruhulls.
Old 26-02-2006, 13:54   #56

Eh! Nudge, nudge. Nudge, nudge. Say no more. Say no more.

Old 28-02-2006, 04:42   #57

Boat: Hereshoff/Ferro/45ft/ketch
Any advice for how I could protect my ferro-cement boat from a rib-cracking hit?
Old 28-02-2006, 05:46   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

BudgetBird

A typical Lightning Protection System consists of an Air Terminal, a #4 AWG (minimum) Primary Downconductor, an Immersed Grounding Strip (preferred over the plate), a #6 AWG (min.) Secondary Bonding System, and an (optional) Interior Equalization Bus. Don’t hesitarte to ask, if you require more information concerning the specifics of the above items.

However, I presume your question relates more to protecting the re-enforcing armature, which I am reluctant to comment upon. I have no experience with Ferro’ boats, and cannot recall any specific “expert” advice.

Old 28-02-2006, 10:42   #59

BudgetBird

Checkout this link. It'll tell you all about ferro's.

And about "lightning protection?" This subject has turned into one of the "hit n miss" scenario's. If you were to read more into "lightning protection" thread more throughly. You might find a way to better protect your ferroboat?

Mostly lightining protection is "just" a way of diverting the lightning bolt to avoid the most critical areas of your boat. Electronics, yourselves, your throughhulls and the hull!!

It would be best if you read this thread from start to finish. All the answers are all in there. I am in a mood, where I don't feel like repeating myself. But keep in mind that I had a brain fart (forgotten). And kept mentioning about the "static dissapator," and kept calling it a "lightning rod!!"

Ferrocement Link

http://www.cruisersforum.com/showthr...p?threadid=397

Lightning Protection Link

http://www.cruisersforum.com/showthr...?threadid=3138

Old 07-10-2007, 16:01   #60

Boat: Bayfield29, 31loa bowsprit
Doggonnit! Not again. Here's a real life example that hopefully other boaters can avoid my mistakes:
Angel's Dynaplate of course did not prevent this last lightning strike, but it seemed to help route the blast to ground and minimized the damage. Or I just got lucky. (Lightning, about a hundred million volts, is unpredictable and seems to do different things to different boats every time.) I was sleeping in the bunk at anchor when Angel took another blast in the mast. Lost my hearing for a bit and the air had a strange shock wave to it, but didn't feel anything "zappy". The bolt blew off her entire mastlight, melted the VHF antenna, blew off the steaming light- there's just two wires sticking out now. Then it branched down the mast to the ground plate and along the masthead wiring to blow the switch clear out of its circuit breaker. The charcoaled switch parts were found across the cabin. Fuses were blown, but oddly, her electronics- VHF, CD player, batteries, combiner, bilge pump ect, were unharmed. No through hulls were blown out- I've only seen that happen on boats that had no ground-to-mast set ups. The bilge and hull showed no damage, but I still have to dive on her as soon as this stormy weather clears and check the keel (Angel's last lightning wounds came out here). I'm a marine electrician and still, this phenomenon eludes me. The Dynaplate grounding method doesn't follow ABYC standards, but mine is one size larger than recommended for boats of Angel's size and I regularly dive on her bottom to clean hull and keep the plate clear. One wonders why the heck would one boat gets picked on so much? Isn't ligntning not supposed to strike the same spot twice? My background is native American and the totem that was given to Angel, chosen not by me, is a lightning bolt. I'm begining to wonder about that! (Any others out there who are more familiar with native tradition?)
rb
s/vAngel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lightning