Originally Posted by jalfrezi
Crane hire 700 euros in my expensive boatyard. Standing rigging
rod, carbon mast,
Engine 150 kg.
surely main halyard, dyneema
, 10 mm, big boat harken
foot block, will do it and save me some money
Any disasters out there?
I supported my boom with the main halyard attached to the boom end. Then I used the main sheet and one additional 4 part purchase
. I reversed the mainsheet so the clam cleat was at the boom end. I strapped the 4 part purchase around the boom over my 2GM
20 engine through the main hatch
. Likewise with the cleat at the boom end. That way you are pulling down from the cleat which is easier than pulling up. Then once the engine was free I easily lifted it towards the main hatch with the 4 part purchase. I attached the reversed mainsheet to the same point on the motor
. Then lifting with the purchase and pulling with the main sheet; then loosening the purchase a little and then pulling with the mainsheet it was easy to walk the engine towards the cockpit
until it was hanging more or less under the boom end on the mainsheet. So it was now hanging supported by the mainsheet to the boom; the boom end supported by the halyard. Then I removed the 4 part purchase so it wouldn't catch on the cabin
when I swung the motor
. I had already attached my jib sheets
(removed from the jib) to the end of the boom then down to a block on each side deck
towards the stern. I used them to control the swing of the boom otherwise there would be 120 kg swinging out of control. Then standing on the marina finger and using the jib sheets
I swung the boom and motor over and lowered it down into a marina trolley. I did all that easily by myself.
A few points: I had released the lifelines
so as not to catch on the motor. When you swing the motor out the yacht (floating) lists a little so you need to allow a little height for that. It is much easier to have the mainsheet and the purchase cleats
up at the boom end as then you pull down with your body weight.
I did it with the boat in its marina berth. If you were on the hard
you would need to drop it alternately using both purchases and adding a length of rope
to one at a time for the extra height. I think it is easier floating.
I then wheeled the engine in the trolley almost 1 km to the workshop. That was the hardest part. A week later after the motor was reconditioned I reversed the process and reinstalled the motor. A friend came to help then but it was easy by myself and he took photographs. It took almost as long to write this as to do the job.
I believe there is more control doing it this way rather than just on the end of the halyard. I did not need to adjust the halyard / boom height during the operation.