Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2015, 08:17   #1

Lifeline maintenance

If your lifelines are looking tired..ie yellowing, scraped plastic cover, there is a simple remedy.

Recover them with shroud covers (I call them spaghetti) from West or other marine sources. Choose a size that fits tight on the original lifeline, yet with a gap that closes when applied.

Be cautious that the lifeline is not corroded before recovering. I am in fresh water..so not a concern.

Your boat will look refreshed at a fraction of the cost to replace the lifelines.
Dean Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:38   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Lifeline maintenance

Dean
I'd delete that telephone number, there are "bots" that harvest that kind of data
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:41   #3

Thanks a64...number deleted
Dean Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:54   #4

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Paul View Post
If your lifelines are looking tired..ie yellowing, scraped plastic cover, there is a simple remedy.

Recover them with shroud covers (I call them spaghetti) from West or other marine sources. Choose a size that fits tight on the original lifeline, yet with a gap that closes when applied.

Be cautious that the lifeline is not corroded before recovering. I am in fresh water..so not a concern.

Your boat will look refreshed at a fraction of the cost to replace the lifelines.
If the cover is yellowing it could be a sign to inspect everything, not only the wires. Be on the side of caution, they may fail when you most need them, that is why the trend now is to go bare wire or synthetics. In any case keep in mind that lifelines are not decoration.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance