Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2017, 19:15   #1

LF: Sample GANTT project management charts for haul out

I'm trying to manage the work needed on our catamaran using Excel. I would very much appreciate it if someone could share a sample GANTT chart that they used to plan, manage and track multiple projects. Any insights would be helpful at this point. We haul-out in late September.

Also, it's rainy season in Trinidad. Does anyone have an opinion on how that might affect the pace of painting the bottom?
Becomingasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 02:26   #2

Re: LF: Sample GANTT project management charts for haul out

I use this Excel chart scope of works for all my work refits on large projects, it has it all from cost.who/when/where/parts/condition/etc etc,just need to fill in the blanks

Have tried to attach but first time lets see how it goes other wise send me a private message

Cheers Steve
Attached Files
File Type: xls Blank Scope of Works.xls (48.0 KB, 373 views)
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 02:28   #3

Wow looks like it's there, just un click protected view to fill in(you probably know that!)

Cheers Steve
Old 22-08-2017, 05:20   #4

Thanks - I will give it a try. I really appreciate it. I was trying to create something in Excel but it was not working out at all. I'd love to see a filled in version of your project plan. You could anonymize it as much as you like, stripping costs and what not. I'd like to get a better sense of how to build a workflow.
It might help spawn further ideas for us. We plan to unstep the mast, drop our rudders, pulling both propellers, paint the bottom and so some glass work among 150+ other items.
Becomingasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 05:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becomingasailor View Post
I'm trying to manage the work needed on our catamaran using Excel. I would very much appreciate it if someone could share a sample GANTT chart that they used to plan, manage and track multiple projects. Any insights would be helpful at this point. We haul-out in late September.

Also, it's rainy season in Trinidad. Does anyone have an opinion on how that might affect the pace of painting the bottom?

With some tarps and shrink wrap tape, using the toe rail as a ridge pole, you might keep direct rain away from the top sides and painters - tenting off the work area. More moisture and less sun will likely extend drying times. A pro in this skill area will know more but the manufacturer of your brand would have insight as well.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 06:22   #6

OK, here's the same Scope of Works chart partially completed but you see the idea, it's a simple matter of filling in by row and or high light and delete as required, It also took me many hours to complete set up and still haven't got around to using the auto sum in the columns in this version

Cheers Steve
Attached Files
File Type: xls Scope of Works Sample.xls (52.0 KB, 232 views)
Old 22-08-2017, 09:24   #7

Boat: Boatless

Dang, I'm a disorganized sod!

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 09:40   #8

Boat: DownEaster 38

I have used CPM software of many flavors over the years for large industrial projects. Excel (or Numbers on Mac) will work, but very tedious to set up. Do a search for GANTT charts on your phone or tablet. You will find a number of apps available at low costs. I have not used any, but they would probably be easier to use than setting up the details on a spreadsheet.
Good luck
ps. Just searched myself and found viProject2 on my iPad which looks promising and is free.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 14:53   #9

Boat: L420
Thumbs up Re: LF: Sample GANTT project management charts for haul out

I'm not advanced enough for an excel doc for a work sched. I try to get in and our in 4-5 days, because I'm not willing to give up more than one or two days of vacation, so I generally straddle a three day weekend and use a calendar to manage the daylight of long days.
I concentrate on the paint dry time required for launch, between coats and work backwards. Plan for paint or epoxy drying while working other jobs, etc. Perhaps you will have more than 5 days... I keep a notes page on the back page incase the sun, paint and dust inhibit my memory.

I do keep an excel for repeat purchase parts with manufacture numbers: seals, oils, filters & gaskets. This way everything is "mise en place" before we haul. For me there's nothing more frustrating than shopping and waiting for parts while hauled out.

Paint adhesion is incredibly important, the hull needs to be clean and dry.

If help shows up the calendar is an easy way to share. Some folks like to paint, some are more mechanical, some just like to watch, and maybe bring lunch. I take all comers.

We just finished our haul out in May, it sure feels good to have that behind us.

Aloha, hope you have some fair weather.
AB808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 17:26   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcd625 View Post
I have used CPM software of many flavors over the years for large industrial projects. Excel (or Numbers on Mac) will work, but very tedious to set up. Do a search for GANTT charts on your phone or tablet. You will find a number of apps available at low costs. I have not used any, but they would probably be easier to use than setting up the details on a spreadsheet.
Good luck
ps. Just searched myself and found viProject2 on my iPad which looks promising and is free.
+1. I used to manage IT projects and used various PM tools...Excel aint a PM tool.

Also, traditional PM methods seem like over kill for a haul out and some yard work. I mean, you dont really need to calculate a Critical Path, etc, for something like this.

I think just a "punch list" of tasks, grouped by category (bottom, engine, glass work, etc...) would be plenty adequate. Something where you could tick off status (started, on hold, complete...) would be handy. Maybe % complete if you wanted to get fancy. All this could be done in Excel relatively easily. But, even basic PM functionality like task dependencies, resource dependencies, scheduling...would be horrendous to try and do in Excel (unless some poor soul has already done it).

I just use a simple piece of todo list software on Android.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 22:20   #11

Yes, I'd be that poor soul that set up the Excel chart so that it can be used freely for any one on the Cruiser Forum or further afield,

Just let me say I personally used this chart from single vessels @ drydock through to our over 200 vessel company fleet from 18 ft through 350 ft for major overhaul or conversion and found it easy to use and Quick to fill in for example each column heading can be changed just by highlight/ delete / type in what you want, so the out line format can be changed if you require from detailed to simplicity it's self,

At the time it would take me an hour daily to monitor 4-5 vessels under conversion/regular maintenance (with 100's of items each) to fill in all the columns and have the answers to any party who asked a status report (such as the financial or directors or superintendents and the boat yard itself),

No I'm not an IT guy so thats why it's simple

Cheers Steve
Old 23-08-2017, 03:33   #12

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

I prefer the KISS method to CPA or Gantt stuff.

"KISS is an acronym for "Keep it simple, stupid" as a design principle noted by the U.S. Navy in 1960. The KISS principle states that most systems work best if they are kept simple rather than made complicated; therefore simplicity should be a key goal in design and unnecessary complexity should be avoided."

Use a list!
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 04:14   #13

Thanks, Capt Steve. I will try it next haul out.
Var Korall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 09:06   #14

Boat: DownEaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captsteve53 View Post
Yes, I'd be that poor soul that set up the Excel chart so that it can be used freely for any one on the Cruiser Forum or further afield,

Just let me say I personally used this chart from single vessels @ drydock through to our over 200 vessel company fleet from 18 ft through 350 ft for major overhaul or conversion and found it easy to use and Quick to fill in for example each column heading can be changed just by highlight/ delete / type in what you want, so the out line format can be changed if you require from detailed to simplicity it's self,

At the time it would take me an hour daily to monitor 4-5 vessels under conversion/regular maintenance (with 100's of items each) to fill in all the columns and have the answers to any party who asked a status report (such as the financial or directors or superintendents and the boat yard itself),

No I'm not an IT guy so thats why it's simple

Cheers Steve
Your spreadsheet is very nice, Steve. For me, the key to effective project management is to define the tasks (Scope of Work) very well and then specify the stages each task must go through to completion. Your spreadsheet does this well. Costs can be added if desired. The advantage with the spreadsheet is that the user/manager has to think the project through. One can define the rows and columns to suit. It's much more tedious and time consuming to add a visual time scale (bar chart) using a spreadsheet and is not necessary for most small projects. Much of this can be done with the available apps but often it takes more time to learn how to use the app effectively than it would to write everything down on a piece of paper or use a spreadsheet.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, haul out, men, project