Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2013, 13:40   #1

Boat: Stevens Cutter 47'
Lexan Dodger window creases

My dodger is constructed with thin Lexan as the windows. Unfortunately, the main windshield of the dodger has some creases in the Lexan. Wondering in anyone has experience getting out the creases? Am thinking about trying a hair dryer but not sure. Help?
Gregg F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 15:06   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Lexan Dodger window creases

Gregg, Lexan is a fairly rigid and expensive material. You can't crease it. You've probably got Stratiglass, or generic PVC, or some other material that most of us would call "vinyl". Once that is creased it has stretched and the remedy is to replace it.

Very thin Lexan IS used as a specialty "window tint" film, to make glass windows shatter-resistant, but I've never heard of it being used as dodger glazing. I'd think it most impractical and unlikely for that purpose.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 15:42   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

Very thin Lexan IS used as a specialty "window tint" film, to make glass windows shatter-resistant, but I've never heard of it being used as dodger glazing. I'd think it most impractical and unlikely for that purpose.
Hmmmm....

5 year old Makrolon double sided AR polycarbonate dodger windows........

You could not pay me to go back to Strataglass...
Old 21-06-2013, 15:55   #4

Makrolon double sided ar polycarbonate Is that the same as EZ2CY or Costa Klear? Can it be rolled up, or do you have to snap the whole panel up? Sure looks good.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 17:01   #5

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

A friend of mine is in the canvas business and he uses polycarbonate for dodger windows all the time, I don't know what brand he uses though but he refers to it generically as lexan.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 17:25   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

More than likely what he is calling Lexan is Makrolon. I used it for my dodger. .060 AR stuff. It is truely great. when looking through it, you almost can't see it. The stuff I used is thick, but it sews with a heavy duty industral machine. You have to sew very slowly when using it or the needle heats up so much it melts the thread. But the end result is worth the trouble and extra expence.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat dodger 006.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	63004  
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 17:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by haw1961 View Post
Makrolon double sided ar polycarbonate Is that the same as EZ2CY or Costa Klear? Can it be rolled up, or do you have to snap the whole panel up? Sure looks good.
Makrolon is clear, and very stiff. You can not roll it up. You can sew zippers around and remove it altogether by unzipping the panel. I am unfamilar with the 2 products you mention so I can not comment on them. There may be other brands of Makrolon type products but I am unfamilar with them. Makrolon is a brand trademark name. They do make at least 2 different thickness but my supplier only handles .060 AR stuff so that is what I used, it comes in 4X8 sheets and is about $150.00 per sheet. At least that is what I paid whole sale for it.
Old 21-06-2013, 19:10   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Makrolon is clear, and very stiff. You can not roll it up. You can sew zippers around and remove it altogether by unzipping the panel. I am unfamilar with the 2 products you mention so I can not comment on them. There may be other brands of Makrolon type products but I am unfamilar with them. Makrolon is a brand trademark name. They do make at least 2 different thickness but my supplier only handles .060 AR stuff so that is what I used, it comes in 4X8 sheets and is about $150.00 per sheet. At least that is what I paid whole sale for it.
With equivalent care, what is the life expectancy (Markralon vs. Strataglass)?

The down side, as I see it, anyway, is the extra time required to open up for cooling or close down for rain.
Old 21-06-2013, 19:37   #9

From what I know, you can expect the fabric to fail before the Makrolon. Or the thread, They recomend using the thread that doesn't rot, it also is expensive but lasts a couple of times longer than regular thread. Depending on the climate I would expect it to last at least 2 times longer. I hope to get at least 5-7years out of it before replacing it here in Florida. I know some say it will last longer, I hope so, we shall see.
Old 21-06-2013, 19:50   #10

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
From what I know, you can expect the fabric to fail before the Makrolon. Or the thread, They recomend using the thread that doesn't rot, it also is expensive but lasts a couple of times longer than regular thread. Depending on the climate I would expect it to last at least 2 times longer. I hope to get at least 5-7years out of it before replacing it here in Florida. I know some say it will last longer, I hope so, we shall see.
Are you talking the gore type thread, like tenara.. sp? I wonder what that's like sewing this Makrolon with gore tex. I'll replace the glass at some point here and had already thought of switching thread to the tenara or equivelent. I've never even heard of the Makrolon, or seen it. Looks awesome, I will have to look at clearance for "swinging"or folding back the opening window rather than rolling. Do they open in and fold up? I'd use my dodger more if I could see through it. And of course open the window easily.

Will a sailrite LSZ1 sew it?
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 20:02   #11

Goggle Makrolon, and yes the thread is the tenera stuff you mention. I believe the sailrite LSZ1 would sew it. You may have to go to a upholstry supplier that deals with marine fabric to get the Makrolon. As I have said it comes in a 4X8 sheet that can be rolled but the rolled sheet is about 2 ft in diameter. I found the thread hard to sew with, my machine did not like it. I could sew about a foot using a very heavy needle then I would have to stop to let the needle cool off. The needle got so hot it melted the thread. I do believe that the Makrolon comes in .040 thickness and that would be much more user friendly but may not be as durable.
Old 22-06-2013, 04:35   #12

Boat: Stevens Cutter 47'

I say I have Lexan because that is what is int he previous owners meticulous notes. It is very rigid, does not bend or roll. It does look similiar to the post with the pictures except in the center panel of mine I have half moon creases. I suspect this has happened from unzipping 3 sides and pulling it back to fasten above to dodger, opening the window allows the air through. Anyone know how to get creases out? I can see through it very well.........creases are just annoying. thanks
Gregg F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 06:21   #13

I am sorry but I don't have the answer to get the half moon creases out. If it were mine, I might try a heatgun, heating it up slowly while being carful to keep it from getting to hot.
I do know that they build airplane canopys and windows out of Lexan, and to do it they place the lexan in a large oven, then when it gets to the perfect temp they drop it onto a form. Then let it cool slowly.
Old 22-06-2013, 11:27   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Makrolon is clear, and very stiff. You can not roll it up."
Yah. To me a dodger rolls up fairly small, a "hard dodger" or other structure is what you'd need for rigid glazing. Maybe I'm just getting stuck on what a dodger is but Maine's "dodger" doesn't look like it could roll up.
Of course if someone did try to fold spindle and mutilate lexan glazing, and managed not to crack it....that sure would leave marks.

Makrolon is apparently Bayer's version of Lexan, which is GE's trademark for a polycarbonate material.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 12:10   #15

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
I am sorry but I don't have the answer to get the half moon creases out. If it were mine, I might try a heatgun, heating it up slowly while being carful to keep it from getting to hot.
I do know that they build airplane canopys and windows out of Lexan, and to do it they place the lexan in a large oven, then when it gets to the perfect temp they drop it onto a form. Then let it cool slowly.
If you go the heat gun route, lay your window on a smooth piece of felt. Fake felt will also work also but it will also melt. Use clean white cotton gloves and try to smooth it out. I've made a few plastic windows for small planes and there can be all kinds of problems.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodger, lexan