Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2007, 09:15   #1

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Lewmar Hatch - dismantling the hinge

Hi:

I have a Lewmar hatch (yup, same one I wanted to colour) that has to go into a tight space. To get it there, I have to take it apart, put the frame on, then reconnect the cover. I am having trouble with the dismantling of the hinge.

It is a Lewmar LP40GRY (low profile) with an exterior hinge spring assembly. The spring assembly is easy to take off, but I can't get the main hinge assembly apart. I have removed the little plastic covers and the split-spool device that fits over the 1/8" shaft to hold the hinge "pintles" in. I have no idea if these hollow cylinders, upon which the hinge rotates, are pushed in or screwed in, but they will not move. Anybody have experience here?

So far, Lewmar does not answer my email.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 11:48   #2

Have just today been ripping apart a large Bomar hatch. The hinge i.e stainless tube or roll on these is just pressed in , it took a lot of heat and banging but they do come eventually, i will replace them with a nut and bolt in a nylon sleveso hopefully not to get the two metels reacting and make the job easier for another time.Yours may be different though i doubt it, good luck Carl.
CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 04:46   #3

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Success

I got an email from Lewmar.com, complete with a reasonable pdf file showing the hinge construction. Once I was sure that the pieces were banged in and not screwed in, I was able to dismantle the hinges. They required a lot of tapping from a lot of directions, but ultimately they came loose, last night.

Thanks for the help.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lewmar