Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2007, 13:33   #1

Lewmar Folding Steering Wheels

Has anyone bought & installed one? If so, how big is the remaining upper & lower (more important) piece that remains?
or seriously considered and changed your mind? If so, why.
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 14:41   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Expensive toy, seen a couple but can't think why one would want one. Beneteau has a better idea where the whole wheel swings sideways, right out of the way. Apparently you can still steer in this configuration.
Old 16-07-2007, 16:17   #3

I've chartered a beneteau with that swing wheel...........it works but cuts off the side you move it to..........expensive - yeah, I looked at the list price just before I posted the thread.
Why - provide much easier cockpit access on both sides when at anchor or stern to at dock?
Old 16-07-2007, 18:17   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I just take my 54" wheel off with the spin of a hand nut and hang up out of the way. If I need to put it back on it takes me 15 seconds. I've timed my self in case of an emergancy.................._/)

delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 20:39   #5

Big D: Yup that's the #1 solution...........but was curious on Lewmar since I've seen advertised but never on a boat.
Old 19-07-2007, 11:46   #6

Lewmar Folding Wheel

We installed one last year and like it. Got a "deal" on it at the boat show. Comes with a leather wrap and, if I recall correctly, takes 8-10" off the radius of the wheel. In our T cockpit, that is just enough to open up the aft corners making access to the grille and aft seats much easier. It works in our configuration but I its certainly not worthwhile for everyone.
wallandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 19:57   #7

Boat: GulfStar 52 - Pomaika'i
Like Delmarrey, I like to remove the wheel when at anchor, but an alternative to having your rail-mounted wheel stolen or have to lock it to the stern pulpit with an expensive mount is to have an emergency 'tiller-wheel'.

I took a salvaged SS 'Destroyer' wheel and cut all the spokes off at the hub except one. That one spoke was cut so that there is a T-handle.

You now have a neat one-spoke 'wheel/tiller' that stays in a mid-ship position so it doesn't take up any c'pit space, and is always at the ready just in case of emergency in the anchorage.

John
Kuapa'a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 10:08   #8

WAJ - Thanks for reply..........sounds like the deal has worked great.

K- Interesting idea . solution
Old 20-07-2007, 15:17   #9

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
These are on all of the new Hunters.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 20:23   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Thumbs up Not a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuapa'a
Like Delmarrey, I like to remove the wheel when at anchor, but an alternative to having your rail-mounted wheel stolen or have to lock it to the stern pulpit with an expensive mount is to have an emergency 'tiller-wheel'.

I took a salvaged SS 'Destroyer' wheel and cut all the spokes off at the hub except one. That one spoke was cut so that there is a T-handle.

You now have a neat one-spoke 'wheel/tiller' that stays in a mid-ship position so it doesn't take up any c'pit space, and is always at the ready just in case of emergency in the anchorage.

John
I'm thinking of just building a hub to fit the tapered shaft with a square hole off set and then just use a winch handle to lock in and turn it. With hyd. steering that works out great. The hub can be stored away neatly in a small place and the winch handle can go in it's boot..............._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 14:12   #11

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuapa'a View Post

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I'm thinking of just building a hub to fit the tapered shaft with a square hole off set and then just use a winch handle to lock in and turn it. With hyd. steering that works out great. The hub can be stored away neatly in a small place and the winch handle can go in it's boot..............._/)
Excellent Ideas.
Another idea might be to have a couple of spokes (length and angle tbd) off a hub and on the outboard end of the spokes have a 90 degree 3 or 4 inch tube coming off each spoke. You would then still have a means of steering in an emergency at anchor and could also make a small table that could interlock into the tubes. You would have to lock your wheel in order to use the table of course.

There is a more recent thread talking about folding wheels also.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post388195

Best Regards,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lewmar