Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2012, 05:28   #1

Boat: Leopard 42 Sailing Cat
Leopard 43/47 Mast Height & Bridge Clearance

Hello all,
We are considering a used Leopard Cat (2000-2005) as our family's next floating home. I have reviewed all the specs I can find on these models and cannot seem to find out what the mast height or more specifically the bridge clearance is on these models. I am NOT referring to the ever popular topic of "bridge deck" clearance which I have found piles of posts on. We'd like to be able to leverage the ICW if necessary and possible.

My question is:
Does anyone know what the "bridge" clearance requirements are for these models of Leopard Cats in the year range 2000-2005? Did they vary or change in these years and if so how?

Cheers, as always your time and insight is appreciated.
chrtucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 05:34   #2

Re: Leopard 43/47 mast heigh & bridge clearance

a Google search for the terms "Leopard 38 mast height" gets me to:
Mast Height 62' 0" (18.9 m.)

So it would be a pretty safe assumption that anything larger than 38' is going to be at least 62' or taller off the water.

You're basically screwed. I can think of three or four bridges right here within 100 miles of me that are 55'.

Don't feel bad, I'm having the same problem.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 08:01   #3

Boat: Rhodes 32

If you haven't, try going through all the current brokerage Leopards and see if you can find one that lists bridge clearance. I do not know on Leopards, but beware that on some model cats, such as the Lagoon 440's, there are tall rig versions. RJ
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 09:06   #4

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

If the Gulf side ICW is part of your cruiseing grounds your not gonna do it with any mast hight over 55 ft. You can get in from outside to most BIG harbors, but you can't go inside and stay cruiseing because of most all the bridges and even some power lines are at 56 ft or so !! just a thought!!
Old 30-03-2012, 09:53   #5
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

On the Gulf ICW the only spans less than 65' that I can think of are between Pensacola and Appalachicola and the short leg from Marco through Goodland.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 04:32   #6

Boat: Leopard 42 Sailing Cat

Thank you all for the information and insight. I would not be overly concerned about a mast height of 60-62' as we recently came down the ICW with 59' clearance without issue except for the one bridge just north of Miami. That being said, I doubt I'd be comfortable with anythinkg greater than 62'...just cutting it a bit too close for me. We'll have to see...I don't think any cats in the 40-50' range have a mast height that would work so if we go this route we'll just have to deal with jumping outside and watching for weather windows. Oh well, I guess that's one of the every present "trade offs" that is so prevalent with boats. Cheers all and be well. Chris-
chrtucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 05:51   #7

never thought about it, but smj is right - I thought there were more short bridges around NOLA and in Louisiana. P'cola area is my usual cruising ground

Destin bridge is 49', Fort Walton (brooks) bridge is 50', Navarre bridge is 50'

You can check bridge height quickly via ActiveCaptain fwiw.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 04:45   #8

Boat: Morgan Out Island 416
Re: Leopard 43/47 Mast Height & Bridge Clearance

Bridge clearance on the Gulf ICW is 73'. We have made the trip from Galveston bay east )once to the Mississippi River then south, once to Pensacola then south, once to the west coast of Florida). Between Texas and P'cola there is the 50' bridge at Navarre so you have to do an overnight (that's how we did it) on the outside between Mobile or west, I think, and P'cola. From Panama City to St Joe (I think) was an short outside sail, and then from Ft Myers we sailed outside to somewhere in the Everglades. This was in a MOrgan 416 with a 60' stick plus 3' antennas. We never had a problem anywhere. Also much of the East Coast ICW (although not much in Florida, we go outside there) and shortest bridge is the 64' Fairfield (I think) bridge in North Carolina.

But to answer your question about the Leopard mast heights (although this thread is a year old or so), the 43 has an East Coast ICW friendly mast at around 63'. We have known more than one cruiser who has done much/all of the east coast ICW in a Leopard 43. The 47 has a 70.4' or so mast. Although I don't know anyone who has done it, I assume it is Gulf ICW friendly but it takes you outside on the east coast.
SV Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard, mast