Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2011, 07:43   #1

Boat: Shell Swifty 14, & 24' Culler / Bolger cat ketch sharpie
Leeboard Rigging Question

Anyone else with leeboards? If so, how do you have their lines rigged? My concern is where the line crosses over the corner of the sheer. It has to go from a vertical line that attaches to the leeboard, and thereby changes angle with the swing of the leeboard, to a horizontal line back to the cockpit.

I'm thinking of a small chock, such as this:

The boards are around 40 pounds apiece. I don't think I'll need a 2- or 3-part purchase using blocks, but maybe.

The past owner is dead, and i have no pics of this detail. If you have leeboards, could you show a pic of how you have the pendants rigged?
Thanks!
bassman1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 10:14   #2

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Leeboard Rigging Question

Just curious, but one of my first boats was a horrid abortion made from a sunken cedar runabout, and with leeboards and a junk rig. Thankfully it was crunched by a snow plow the first winter so I never did manage to drown myself.

My leeboards were about 4 feet long, cut from 1 inch plywood. I forgot to put a ballast into the bottom of them so they never sank. I assume yours have the required weight to sink into the vertical position?

As for running the lines, I think those chocks should do nicely. Perhaps radius the bottom edge a bit more, and repolish to give a bigger radius for the line but otherwise they should be just peachy.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 11:27   #3

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Saw a little lee-board boat on a lake just south of Gatwick.
Had Tufnol bulls-eyes with wrap-around support strap at gunwale, in line with raised board pennant knot, off to Tufnol jam-cleats. Looked really ship-shape.
I think Gibb made the Tufnol fittings.

Really looking forward to seeing this finished boat.
Old 31-08-2011, 12:43   #4

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin

Check on line resources for info. Try John's Nautical Pages. Also look at Bolger's books, as he has the info there. Try RD Culler, too. And Chappelle. There are several approaches, some of which depend on how the board is attached to the hull. Will the board feater up? Is there a restrainer bar? Etc. Look to Bolger first, as he designed your boat.
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 18:36   #5

Boat: Shell Swifty 14, & 24' Culler / Bolger cat ketch sharpie

Actually, Pete Culler designed the hull. Bolger's input was via a letter, concerning the rig, and leeboard placement. It does not discuss how they are rigged. I have Herreschoff's book, and can state that the pivots bare a strong resemblance to those of the Meadowlark. But the details of the rigging for the leeboards is very sketchy, as it is for the Golden Ball and other leeboarders in the book. I have Bolger's 100 Small Boat Rigs, and his Boats With An Open Mind, neither of which feature details for this. I do have Bolger/Payson Black Skimmer plans, maybe I should dig those up. But I do remember, his approach on those was simply 3/8 line at the pivots, and nothing much more complex for the pendants. The Chappelle book I have doesn't have a good shot of leeboards. Never heard of John's Nautical Pages, will need to check them out.

Thanks folks!
bassman1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging