Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2019, 02:48   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32
Lee cloth fabric choice

First time sewing lee cloths, first time owning a boat. Which is a better choice of material - ultralight nylon ripstop or heavy duty cordura cotton? Or something else?
Manana5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:04   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Lee cloth fabric choice

We used sunbrella. The nylon, imho, is too light. If for no other reason than the human that is laying against it won’t trust it enough to really rest.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:21   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
We used sunbrella. The nylon, imho, is too light. If for no other reason than the human that is laying against it won’t trust it enough to really rest.
Thank you. I keep reading recommendations about sunbrella but it seems hard to find/outrageously expensive, at least where I am.
Manana5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:28   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manana5 View Post
Thank you. I keep reading recommendations about sunbrella but it seems hard to find/outrageously expensive, at least where I am.

The cordura should be fine then. I’ve seen lee cloths made of pheifertex or other shade cloth type of materials as well. That may be a more appealing option if you feel that more ventilation is required.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:00   #5

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
The cordura should be fine then. I’ve seen lee cloths made of pheifertex or other shade cloth type of materials as well. That may be a more appealing option if you feel that more ventilation is required.

+1 for Phifertex. The ventilation is helpful in the tropics and is very strong especially w/webbing around edges.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:07   #6

+1 for canvas-type lee cloths. Nix on the nylon.

Good luck!
LittleWing
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:24   #7

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Lol you can made them out of everything as far as the cloth can hold the human weight ..... I used my old mainsail.
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:26   #8

gmakhs is right. Anything will do. Just think it through: Lee cloths are not subjected to direct sunlight, rain or wind, so they don't deteriorate for the reasons "canvas" items above decks do. All that's required is that they will hold the weight of a person thrown against them as the boat rolls. Plain old cotton duck, which is what jeans are made from, is perfectly fine and can be bought for cheap at your local "Fabricland" or similar outlet catering to ladies who like to sew. You don't need a fancy sewing machine either. Mine is a garden variety domestic, light weight Bernina "MiniMax" with a #12 needle. Works a charm.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:52   #9

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

If you are anywhere hot definitely go for a soft net with a small mesh, about 1/2" is ideal. Much cooler than solid canvas. It is also a lot lighter and less bulky so stores easily under the bunk for settee berths. Very easy to make as all you need to do is thread a rope though it top and bottom, no sewing needed!
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:57   #10

Boat: Hunter 46

Sounds like a nice sewing project and useful. I would recommend Phifertex mesh since it allows airflow and is easy to clean. However, as noted above any strong fabric will, such as Sunbrella, cotton duck, soft trampoline mesh or polyester bag mesh. You might look at the web site below for more information on how to make lee cloth.

https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Make-Lee-Cloths-Video

sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:23   #11
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
First time sewing lee cloths, first time owning a boat. Which is a better choice of material - ultralight nylon ripstop or heavy duty cordura cotton? Or something else?
We spent the time to make Lee cloths and they lasted only a couple of days while sailing to Hawaii...they were torn down by crew reaching for hand holds.

Before making them figure out how you are going to hang them...not all boats an have available anchor positions for them; on my boat there was not a good way. At Hawaii we devised a better system using a series of upper and lower s.s. eye straps (about 10 inches apart) and weaving available rope through them, up and down. It worked very well, inexpensive, quickly installed, and can be removed when sailing in calmer waters.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 13:07   #12

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

We used netting, kids could see out, air flow was good, it worked just fine
BILL

Quote:
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 13:12   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Manana 5 wrote "lee cloths", the cloths that keep one in the sea berth when the boat's having strong motion.

Some people have answered relative to weather cloths. As Trente Pieds points out, very different applications. For weather cloths, I have used mostly Sunbrella (though any acrylic canvas will do), and most recently have tried WeatherMax. I find, however, that it fades pretty fast, and I don't care for the color the dark red fades to, a reddish medium gray. The medium gray WM I used for the dinghy chaps has merely become a bit lighter, and the color's okay. But for me, the 5 yr. lifetime for it means I'll be making a new set of dinghy chaps in a year, because it is sun-rotting. So, for weather cloths, yes, I prefer acrylic canvas, even though it is heavier than WM.

For lee cloths, use whatever you have that is strong enough to keep the largest person safe in the sea berth.

Ann
Old 03-05-2019, 18:37   #14

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Flax canvass. It will help keep you warm as well as in your cot. I made my hammocks out of it. Lotsa luck finding some though--
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 20:18   #15

Boat: Lagoon 42 TPI

I like the canvas (sail cloth from old sail is a great idea) Permanently fix in place along the bottom (lay them under mattress when not used). We found pockets on the outside very handy. On bunks that we’re difficult to climb in/out with the lee cloth up, use a snap shackle to attach the line holding the lee cloth up at lee cloth end.
MoorOrLess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fabric