Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2019, 02:03   #1

Boat: Najad 400
Leave it in or pull it out?

What are the pros and cons of overwintering your boat in the water Vs hauling out?

...And what do you look for in a yard?

What do you do before you leave it?

Any hints and tips welcome?
goeasy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 02:10   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Leave it in or pull it out?

I've never under stood the out crowd. I get it if you're somewhere with extreme frosts obviously, but in many places (eg UK) freezing is only an issue if you're out of the water, then you need to drain everything for overwintering. Staying in the water usually keeps the temperatures high enough not to have to bother. It presumably only makes sense if the lower mooring fees are enough for you to bother with the whole haul in/out and winterising and recommissioning, or if you're on a mooring that might prove flaky in winter.

Personally I like to get out on the water at least once a week all through winter. I couldn't handle not having the boat available.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 02:34   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Location will play a part. Those up in the Great Lakes will want to pull out and completely de-water fresh water systems due to the risk of ice in the pipes and tanks.

In southern England I stay in since the sea water is always 5'c so little risk of freezing pipes, not so for those who lift out, then there is a risk. Some claim that it helps to dry the hull, personally I don't believe it. How is a hull covered with dozens of coats of antifoul paint going dry out in a damp cold winter?

Final thought though it may be trivial and not worth considering. We have a protected marina berth for the winter so when a storm comes through and it can be 90mph plus the boat leans to the gusts and the energy is dissipated. What happens to the that energy if you are held firm in a metal frame?

However, we do strip the sails off, clean the boat, lift the sole boards and ensure there is lots of ventilation. Doesn't matter if its cold on board so long as there is good ventilation you won't get mold. Batteries stay hooked up to solar, fuel tank topped up, water tank nearly empty, dinghy and outboard taken home and petrol drained. Diesel Engine serviced etc.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 02:50   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

Location usually determines what the best answer is. I’ve never not taken my boat out of the water for winter. I’d love to be able to leave it in, but where I cruise that isn’t an option.

Hauling out and winterizing is not really a big deal. All you need to do is get all the water out. The surest way to do that is replace it with antifreeze, although if you’re confident, you can vacuum drain all the systems as well. I prefer the surety of using antifreeze.

The risks of haul out, other than it going badly, are freeze-thaw on any water in the boat, including decks. I suppose the risks in the water are due to sinking, storm surge, etc.
Old 16-09-2019, 04:04   #5

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

As others have said, the determination will be location specific. Here in the Great Lakes of the US, a haul out is a must, along with a winterization. Most marinas will not even allow a boat to stay in the water over the winter due to ice damage and the greatly increased risk of sinking.
Old 16-09-2019, 04:17   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Perhaps the take away is that if you complete your profile you will get more useful answers!

Just playin' with you! But it does really help others to make smart comments.

----

I stay in warmer water (Chesapeake Bay). Depending on the marina, 25-50% stay in through the winter. Personally, I like to sail all winter. As for damamge, I've seen more damamge on the hard than in the water (split rudders from ice and bent rails from snow), but it can go either way.
Old 16-09-2019, 04:32   #7

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Todd View Post
What are the pros and cons of overwintering your boat in the water Vs hauling out?

What do you do before you leave it?

We stay in, most winters. In our climate, we have to winterize everything... and would have to do that in either case.

Given that we pay for our annual slip, and we do a haul once/year anyway for underwater inspections/work... the downside to wintering out of the water is all the extra monthly $$$ for dry storage.

-Chris
Old 16-09-2019, 05:25   #8

Boat: Najad 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Perhaps the take away is that if you complete your profile you will get more useful answers!

Just playin' with you! But it does really help others to make smart comments.

----

I stay in warmer water (Chesapeake Bay). Depending on the marina, 25-50% stay in through the winter. Personally, I like to sail all winter. As for damamge, I've seen more damamge on the hard than in the water (split rudders from ice and bent rails from snow), but it can go either way.

Profile duly completed. It looks like we'll winter in Northern Spain. Maybe Gijon or further round the coast. I think it rarely freezes here.
goeasy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 08:39   #9

Hello Andy Todd, in northern Spain there is of course the possibility of frost. so all precautions must be taken. Usually the dry storage is in a closed compound, so there is less danger of damage through vandalism or thieving. Before getting back into the water You will have the oportunity to improve the antifouling, while staying in the Water will cause plenty of growth. So You better have it taken out!
Greetings
nw
mariner-dovb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 08:44   #10

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Boat been in 2 winters now , very little growth on Hull if any ? I will pull her out in March to re do antifoul and anodes and striaght back in , theres sailing to do .. I use a dehumidifer on my boat and have no dampness issues or condesation or mold on my boat , also warmer in the water thana fgreezing yard
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 08:58   #11

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Geez....
I got all excited when I read the headline.
Then I realized that you were talking about your boat.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 09:30   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
I've never under stood the out crowd. I get it if you're somewhere with extreme frosts obviously.....
You would understand if you went somewhere where there are hard freezes over the winter.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 10:23   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

Another solution is to cruise down to Florida and sail all winter.
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 10:37   #14

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

In New England, with our previous boat, we would alternate -- one winter in, the next winter out. We did the bottom in the "out" years.

Now we use our boat year-round and sail south for the winter. Still, we haul every other year for bottom paint, but rarely stay on the hard more than a few weeks.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 13:15   #15
bmz

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

There is no need to take your boat out of the water regardless how much ice there is. If water is confined within a closed area such as a bottle or a hose, it will expand when frozen and damage the container. But if a boat is floating on a waterway that then freezes, it will simply freeze around the boat without damaging the hull. In the 37 years that I've owned it, I have never taken my boat out of the water, even though it has been iced in for weeks--no damage.
bmz is offline   Reply With Quote