Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2016, 14:47   #1

Boat: Sceptre 36
Leaking Toe Rail

My C&C 41 just developed a leak at 3 bolts on the toe rail. Removal and re-bedding the entire toe rail is not an option. Would pulling the 3 bolts and application of lots of sealant to both bolts and holes and spinning in the bolts have much chance of sucsess?
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 15:13   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Leaking Toe Rail

Painting it over with polyurethane will do too.

But it is all just a temporary fix.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 15:53   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

What's the guess on why it started in that location? As if that's identifiable, it may help you in preventing other leaks. In the short run anyway.

EDIT: You might talk to some Cal owners, online or otherwise. In that the 34' is supposed to have an internally glassed over, bolted toe rail, to prevent leaks. And in theory, without leaving the bolts soaking in seawater. While other early model Cal's need to have their bolted toe rails glassed over, usually from the outside. But I'm guessing that a few have done something akin to the configuration of the 34'. So it could be worth finding out if they did so, & how. There's an owner's group on Yahoo, & a few sites which show the usual, external, re-glassing process.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 04:38   #4

Not 100% certain how C&C did the hull/deck/toerail joint on the 41, but if it's like the slightly older designs just try tightening the 3 bolts and see what happens.
"3.3 Deck/Hull Joint
The patented C&C hull-to-deck joint details are illustrated in Fig. 1. On assembly, the top of the hull flange is capped with butyl compound upon which is fitted a vinyl rub rail topped by another layer of buty compound. The deck is then lowered onto the hull and a layer of butyl compound placed on top of the deck. The anodized toe rail is then placed on the deck and fastened to the hull by means of stainless steel thru-bolts. When these bolts are tightened, the butyl compound in the joint is forced into the exposed crevices. It should be noted that if a leak should develop at the hull/deck joint, the thru-bolts in the area may be tightened, care being taken not to allow the bolt to turn while tightening the nut."

Copied that from my C&C manual.
Pretty simple first thing to try! A Phillips screwdriver and a socket.....
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 04:49   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

You might get lucky & find something searching on the C&C owner's website. As it's unlikely that you're the first one to have this problem. C&C Yachts - C&C Photo Album & Resource Center
And have you had any luck with a general online search?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:39   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
... "3.3 Deck/Hull Joint
The patented C&C hull-to-deck joint details are illustrated in Fig. 1. On assembly, the top of the hull flange is capped with butyl compound upon which is fitted a vinyl rub rail topped by another layer of buty compound. The deck is then lowered onto the hull and a layer of butyl compound placed on top of the deck. The anodized toe rail is then placed on the deck and fastened to the hull by means of stainless steel thru-bolts. When these bolts are tightened, the butyl compound in the joint is forced into the exposed crevices. It should be noted that if a leak should develop at the hull/deck joint, the thru-bolts in the area may be tightened, care being taken not to allow the bolt to turn while tightening the nut."

Copied that from my C&C manual.
Pretty simple first thing to try! A Phillips screwdriver and a socket.....
Figure 1 is on page 54 of the manual.
http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/download/40manual.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:49   #7

C&C must have used the same basic manual for a number of boats, you linked to a '77 40 manual, I have the 25... same diagram and word for word about the deck joint!
Old 12-09-2016, 08:07   #8

Thank you all. Sometimes you overlook the simple solutions. Will tighten the bolts as soon as I get home.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:47   #9

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

If tightening the bolts doesn't work, I've had good success with Captain Tolley's Crack Cure Sealant on leaky Genoa track bolts and a few other tricky spots. It's easy to use and reasonably priced IMO. I used multiple applications in spots that were particularly troublesome. Good luck!
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 16:02   #10

Tightened the toe rail bolts today as it was warm and dry. Some were quite loose. Will know with the next rain if it worked.
Old 20-09-2016, 16:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Delay View Post
My C&C 41 just developed a leak at 3 bolts on the toe rail. Removal and re-bedding the entire toe rail is not an option. Would pulling the 3 bolts and application of lots of sealant to both bolts and holes and spinning in the bolts have much chance of sucsess?
It might. Remove the bolts, get yourself a dental pick. drag out sealant where the deck and hull attach and where the toe rail meets the deck.... any mating surfaces inside the holes. Using 5200 do your best to get those areas which you cleared out refilled with sealant. rebolt it with the bolts slathered with 5200 also.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 16:59   #12

Boat: Seafarer36c

I would drill the hole oversize a bit, that would leave some room for the "5200". I've heard that not turning a bolt is better.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 14:26   #13

As suggested, I just carefully tightened about 3-4' of toe rail bolts on the leaking side being careful not to let the bolts turn. Raining hard today - no leaks!!!!
Old 23-09-2016, 16:14   #14

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

Congrats, always good to have it work out!
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 02:24   #15

Was pretty sure that would fix the problem as long as there was no damage. Mine is 42 years old no leaks. Butyl is still soft where you can see some squeeze out in the forepeak.