Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2010, 21:27   #1

Leaking Teak Decks - Seattle . . . Repairs ?

I have a 40' trawler. This is a 30 year old Chinese boat with lots of brightwork and, yes, teak decks. The decks were screwed down. Sound familiar? Yes, I know... there have been a lot of posts on this subject but I haven't found the answers to some of my questions.

Our boat has teak decks on the cockpit, sides, bow and vberth cap. The two-level bridge takes up most of the surface area and has never had teak decking. I have found a bit of a spongy spot in the cockpit and a leak in the vberth that I think comes from broken down deck caulking and water getting into some loose screws. I assumed water would be getting into all of the cores, but the deck core is exposed and visible in the anchor well and it's not wet. So, my assumption was wrong and we obviously have some good areas and some bad areas.

My questions:
- I've seen a number of treatment suggestions posted here. They include "cut and fix" (removal of the teak, saw cutting the suspect fiberglass decking, removal of the bad core and fitting in new core, then rebedding and filling the glass deck and painting with non-skid) and some exotics like injection of nitrogen to dry out the wood and then injection of wood treatment or painting the deck with pickup bedliner. Are there really any effective and attractive alternatives to "cut and fix?
- I got a quote from a boatyard for removal of the teak decks. They assumed incorrectly that all of the cores would be at least wet. Their quote was big enough to make me want to do it myself. Can those of you with firsthand experience tell me what professional work should cost?
- If you're from Seattle, do you know which pros see the most of this sort of work and are likely to be better at diagnosing problems and the most cost effective solutions?

Thanks!!
rlp1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 21:44   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
wow--there are some folks done this work--they are the leaky teaky yacht club, a yahoo group-- the folks have taiwanese boats. some have done decking already---there is also a leaky teaky group in facebook -- same folks. started by a mich firefighter who has a leaky teaky. mine is a formosa. there are pictures of the process in the group in yahoo groups...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 22:19   #3

It's not so bad if you do it in pieces. I had a guy quote me 16K just to pull the planks and lay them back down. lol

I did (and do) all my deck work myself. Took me a while but I finally got good ag it. I'd start with one area and go from there. Once you have your technique locked in it will be cake to do it all over the boat. Unscrew some boards, scrape out some junk, lay in new cloth and epoxy, build up with epoxy filler, sand, screw boards back down, recaulk.

It takes a lot of time, and I can see why the yard would give you an over inflated bill. Teak decks are notorious black hole projects. Probably more so than any other construction effort land or sea. If you work on them one weekend a month, you'll have them under control in a year's time and you might even enjoy it. I do.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 23:05   #4

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'
Leaky Teaky

I'm going to Treadmaster.
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 10:49   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 41 Summer Wind 1
I can't find the leaky teaky yacht club

I can't find the leaky teaky yacht club. Is it still up and running?

I have a 1980, Defever designed 41' Marine Trader. I have done my fly bridge and trunk cabin top with Coelan. It appears to be working. No leaks in rainy Vancouver.
grahamdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 11:07   #6

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlp1949 View Post
- If you're from Seattle, do you know which pros see the most of this sort of work and are likely to be better at diagnosing problems and the most cost effective solutions?

Thanks!!
RLP...Im going to put a plug here for one of our members that just started a boat yard last year..

CharlieCobra

Just search for him and his projects ..hes a straight shooter and will give you an honest days work for the money...I wish he was in business when I needed him.

Here is his most recent project. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ish-48841.html

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 11:10   #7

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Unfortunately you can't just remove the teak fix it and then replace it. Look for the CHB Yahoo group and register. Lots of links to people that have done the job and you can ask questions from folks that have a boat like yours and have done extensive repairs. Good luck. Fortunately the previous owner of our trawler had the work done professionally, which is a big reason why we bought the boat. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 11:10   #8

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
RLP...Im going to put a plug here for one of our members that just started a boat yard last year..

CharlieCobra

Just search for him and his projects ..hes a straight shooter and will give you an honest days work for the money...I wish he was in business when I needed him.

Here is his most recent project. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ish-48841.html
Another member of Charlie's fan club
Old 28-10-2010, 11:19   #9

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
the previous owner of my boat (Ohlson 38) went through it - removed the deck, put new plywood subdeck, west system, dynel, west system, Teak Decking System teak deck glued down. A LOT of work! Pretty insane.. but it sure is pretty!

I know I don't have the skill, time or money to do it this way.

Pictures are a bit out of order, but you can get the idea:

phpAlbum.net

phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 11:24   #10

phantom....will you please stop posting pictures of your boat....I get horny every time you do.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 28-10-2010, 11:31   #11

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlp1949 View Post
I have a 40' trawler. This is a 30 year old Chinese boat with lots of brightwork and, yes, teak decks. The decks were screwed down. Sound familiar? Yes, I know... there have been a lot of posts on this subject but I haven't found the answers to some of my questions.

Our boat has teak decks on the cockpit, sides, bow and vberth cap. The two-level bridge takes up most of the surface area and has never had teak decking. I have found a bit of a spongy spot in the cockpit and a leak in the vberth that I think comes from broken down deck caulking and water getting into some loose screws. I assumed water would be getting into all of the cores, but the deck core is exposed and visible in the anchor well and it's not wet. So, my assumption was wrong and we obviously have some good areas and some bad areas.

My questions:
- I've seen a number of treatment suggestions posted here. They include "cut and fix" (removal of the teak, saw cutting the suspect fiberglass decking, removal of the bad core and fitting in new core, then rebedding and filling the glass deck and painting with non-skid) and some exotics like injection of nitrogen to dry out the wood and then injection of wood treatment or painting the deck with pickup bedliner. Are there really any effective and attractive alternatives to "cut and fix?
- I got a quote from a boatyard for removal of the teak decks. They assumed incorrectly that all of the cores would be at least wet. Their quote was big enough to make me want to do it myself. Can those of you with firsthand experience tell me what professional work should cost?

Thanks!!
For Seattle experts, contact Bakketun & Thomas 206-282-8790
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 11:49   #12

Boat: Boatless
We have just had our Tayana 55 decks done. The old teak was removed, sanded, groves recut, relayed with sikaflex and all 2-3000 bungs replaced.

The deck looks like a new one. It took two carpenters working 8 hour days a month to do the work, which in Cartagena, Columbia cost $2,800 for the labor and about $1,000 for the 90 tubes of calking.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 11:51   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
phantom....will you please stop posting pictures of your boat....I get horny every time you do.

ROFL

I think posts are more interesting with pictures. Gives the OP an idea what he is in for .. if he decides to do it himself! I wouldn't tackle it. This is why I bought the boat already done!

Think you get horny looking at it..wait til you get on board
Old 28-10-2010, 11:56   #14

So is that an invite?

Old 28-10-2010, 12:01   #15

Make it to boston during the summer, im sure we can work something out!

Tags
leaks, repairs, seattle