Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2016, 15:43   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Leaking chainplate

The survey for the boat I just bought indicated that there was a leak -

The port upper shroud chainplate shows stains in the cabin from past or present leaks. The starboard aft lower shroud chainplate is actively leaking. The active rainwater leakage at the starboard aft lower shroud chainplate is causing beginning damage to the wood of the seat back shelf. Moisture meter Marine Consultants, Inc. File No. S310116H Notes Only File Page No. 5 of 16
readings with a GE Protimeter Aquant moisture meter found apparent elevated moisture adjacent to the shroud chainplates on deck.

Prior to closing the sale, the previous owner cleaned and chaulked the affected plates. When the sale closed, I spent the weekend on the boat and had heavy rain twice with no leaks.

What I'm concerned about is the moisture. Is this something I need to take care of immediately, or am I good till this fall, when I plan to haul the boat and do the bottom.
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote