Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2010, 17:46   #1

Boat: Tartan 34C
Latex House Paint on Hull and Deck?

I'm getting conflicting information on the pros and cons of various types of paint. What I think I have learned is:
1) both 1 and 2 part polys are very thin, so it takes several layers to get any decent color coverage, and they run easily whether sprayed or rolled.
2) all oil based paints have breathing and environmental issues incumbent.
3) several coats of white primer can help with color depth.
4) any good quality primer will do above the waterline.
5) latex house paints are not as durable but much lower cost and easier to use.
6) covering most of the deck with anti-skid can make up for the supposed lack of durability in latex paints.

I'm very good with a sprayer and latex semi-gloss. How severe are the limitations of top grade house paint? This will go on a Catalina 27 that was primed with (I think) grey auto primer 3 years ago, then abandoned.

There are no wrong answers - tell me what you KNOW.

Thanks,

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 17:51   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
There are water based yacht paints available. System 3 is one of the brands, there may be others.

When we bought our boat, the non-skid area was painted with Sears Weatherbeater Latex. It was quite old, over ten years, and was worn away completely in may places. It did not, however, fail, peel, etc. If I had to paint a house with the stuff, I would do so without hesitation. I would rather paint the boat with a more durable finish, so, I used a one part poly. If I had known about the system 3 paint, I am sure I would have tried that.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 18:50   #3

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
How much would you really save over using interlux brightside on the hull, and interdeck for the non skid?
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 19:03   #4

Boat: Islander Mark II 30, 30ft - Zephyr
One part Poly not that hard

I just finished repainting the deck of my 30 ft Islnder today. I used Interlux Brighside for the smooth surfaces and Interlux interdeck for the non-skid areas. It really was not that hard. As long as you put the coats on thin (Especially on vertical surfaces, it is pretty easy. I have never painted a boat before and was concerned just like you.

I would think that as long as you prep the surface according to the instructions, you will be good.
Captin_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 19:59   #5

Boat: csy 37
i personally will be painting the topsides with one part poly. but an old timer living on a boat in titusville routinely paints with 'porch and deck' paint he buys at ace hardware. needless to say, he's living on a small income....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 20:16   #6

Boat: 880 waller catamaran
frist let say as a painter, thick paint is a waste of materials and your time.
first wetsand the hull with 220 paper, then if painting with enamel clean with thinner if painting with a water base paint like syster three paints clean with water. This is so your paint looks the best and don't pealing in a year so so.
Day 1, sand and clean, day two or same day, Paint. Give at least three coats ( I would do 4). If your using system three, you can do 3 to 4 coats in a single day, (it's 1-2 hours between recoats depending on the temp of the day.)
when you consider your time and yard time latex i feel is a waste of money in the long run.
Polunu880 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull paint