Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2007, 12:12   #1

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
Latches for hatches and floorboards

My new boat doesn't have any latches on any of the floorboards on the cabin sole nor the hatches that lead to storage areas on the deck. If we take a knockdown, I would expect these to open and allow water to enter(bad) and the floorboards to come flying around the cabin(bad).
Any suggestions as to where I might get latches or catches to resolve this problem and suggestions on installation?
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 12:42   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
If the hatches have ‘finger holes”, you could screw a couple of small (1/2”W x 1.5” L x 3/16” Thick) aluminum restraining plates to the underside of the hatch.
The plates would extend beyond the hatch cover, and secure to the fixed sole/deck.
The plate nearest the finger hole would be fastened “snugly”, but loose enough to move, whilst the other end would be fixed “tight”.
There are "commercial" solutions, but I'm getting ready to fly out to a reserve, and can't search them, right now.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 12:52   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1977 Cuttyhunk 59 Ketch, "Diva" in Trinidad
Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff S.
Ahoy;

Not sure how traditional your Liberty is such that your aesthetic leans toward brass/bronze vs. stainless, but I've been looking at these for sole plates at Classic Marine. They're not cheap, but they appear well-built and shouldn't be toe-stubbers. They've got a number of nice hatch latches, hinges and ornamental hardware too:
Never Mind the Bowlocks - It's Classic Marine

While on the subject of hardware, I've also been looking for some nice heavy duty bronze icebox latches and hinges, if anybody has a link for me.

Cheers,
Geoff
Old 24-10-2007, 12:57   #4

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
Hi there, Southco are the premier latch company in this area. A few years ago they bought out Mobella in Sweden who do latching for all the big European builders. Check out Southco - Latches, Hinges, Fasteners, Engineered Access Hardware for a local agent as they may have minimum order quantities buying direct. A draw latch would solve the locker problems, but look at their lockable latches too for security. The website contains an interactive catalog with tolerances and all specs, and you can download CAD if needed. Good luck!!
Old 24-10-2007, 12:59   #5

Sorry Jeff, your post got in before me . . Southco don't do brass I don't think . . try Sagatsume or Tochigaya - both Asia based, but might help . . .
Old 24-10-2007, 13:42   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1977 Cuttyhunk 59 Ketch, "Diva" in Trinidad
Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff S.
Thanks, Mick, though Google couldn't find Sagatsume, and Tochigaya seems to focus on stainless and aluminum too. (though they may have some items of interest to mestrazat: TOCHIGIYA CO.,LTD. | Product Directory) Getting hard to find good repro bronze stuff any more. I keep hoping to wander into a salvage store and find the goodies I need, but so far no joy.
Old 24-10-2007, 15:03   #7

PYI Inc. Max-Prop PSS Shaft Seal Seaview Radar Mounts R&D
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 15:18   #8

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
I just installed three of these aboard my Pearson Triton: eBay Motors: SOLID BRONZE HATCH PULL WITH LATCHING DOG 51027B (item 4645818788 end time Nov-22-07 18:00:06 PST)

I've purchased several items from this seller and, although shipping is slow (from Canada), I've always been happy with the merchandise. This is a good price for these pieces--I believe they're made by ABI. Very solid and good-looking as well.

Installation is somewhat involved and requires routing out where the piece sits on the floorboard. Also, you have to craft a piece for the other end of the floorboard that keeps that end down--a bracket out of thin SS or bronze with two, 90 degree bends.

Anyway, this would be one way to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	latch.jpg
Views:	955
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	2007  
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 16:21   #9

Geoff, it's www.sugatsune.com , sorry, got the spelling wrong - brass don't seem to be there either though - I reckon one of the big UK chandleries would do lots of it, i'll try again from this end and ask around . .
Old 24-10-2007, 18:38   #10
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
I picked up 5 of these Perko's off of e-bay for $15/each

All five are keyed alike and can be used unlocked. They mount easily with a 2" hole saw. The locking tab needs to line up with the underside of the adjacent deck but given the depth you might need to add blocks for the tab to lock into. I think the max thickness is 1". If you can't find them on e-bay I think most online retailers list them for about $25 each.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2007, 00:30   #11

Boat: N/M 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestrezat View Post
My new boat doesn't have any latches on any of the floorboards on the cabin sole nor the hatches that lead to storage areas on the deck. If we take a knockdown, I would expect these to open and allow water to enter(bad) and the floorboards to come flying around the cabin(bad).
Any suggestions as to where I might get latches or catches to resolve this problem and suggestions on installation?
To keep the floor boards in place I ran 2" flat head coarse thread screws through the floor boards into the keel grid and screwed the floor boards into place, two screws for the small boards and three for the large ones. I did have to prepare the glass-over-foam grid by over-drilling the holes and squirt in a resin and milled glass plug into which the screw threads - and the boards haven't gone anywhere. I use a screw driver (or cordless drill with a driver bit) to remove the screws and access the bilge. Not as convenient as a large latch, but the screws are flush with the floor, small, readily available, not to mention inexpensive and easily replaceable. I also didn't need to create a large hole into which the lock mechanism seats.

For cockpit lockers/lazarettes I like Perko's external hasp locks (they call it a "lockable hold down clamp") - again not as slick as the flush-mount locks mentioned above but hasps are readily available and simple, you supply your own Sesame padlock.

- beetle
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2007, 02:19   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Flounder Pounder Marine & Trading Co
Offer Southco & other Hardware & Latches
Goto: Marine Latches and Mobella hardware

FP Marine
750-C Mullet Dr. Cape Canaveral, FL 32920
Tel: 321-868-1688
Fax: 321-868-1680
Email: Sales@FPmarine.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2007, 04:11   #13

By the way guys, I work in marketing for a European fastener distributor (not manufacturer), if anybody needs something specific researched our guys could most times point you in the right direction as to where to get it. I am NOT touting for business (never mix it with pleasure), but would be happy to send a handfull of free samples should we have a certain item in stock. (obviously not a free bag of lockable marine latches, but you get my drift) Mick
Old 25-10-2007, 10:10   #14

Boat: 44 footer
Jay,

I'd love to see some pictures of those installed in your triton! I've been looking for a solution to the finger holes in the floor. The top of my head glides along the overhead while I'm barefoot... so no teak and holly for me!
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2007, 11:23   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Bronze goodies:

Search: bronze marine hardware
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
latches