Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2016, 12:28   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: UPSTATE NY
Boat: Cape Dory 27D
Posts: 57
Images: 2
Re: Laquer instead of varnish?

Lacquer, in most formulations is waterproof. Case in point, most car touch up spray cans were lacquer up until acrylic urethane took over. Many older cars had original finish of lacquer and many a hot rod was painted in lacquer since the finish can be fine sanded and then buffed/polished to a high shine. It does crack more readily than enamel and the various acrylic enamels that have taken over the automotive finish fields. Some colors were very UV resistant. Others, particularly the reds. yellows were prone to fading. Another wide usage is lacquer wear - wooden dishes ect. . Most pre made kitchen cabinets are finished with lacquer. Mainly because it is a harder finish.

That said, I would not consider using lacquer over varnish for exterior marine surfaces. Varnish can be easily sanded and redone. A light sanding to afford better grip between layers and old varnish can be coated with a fresh layer and will look good as new.

Just my opinion.
__________________

__________________
MCOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 13:39   #17
Sponsoring Vendor
 
HopCar's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Miami Florida
Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Posts: 2,908
Re: Laquer instead of varnish?

If you want to spray marine varnish, you can do it with one of these.
Preval Spray Unit Complete

You'll need to play with thinning the varnish but I've seen some good results with these.


Since your time is limited you might want to try Awl Wood. I haven't tried it yet but I'm going to soon. They claim you can put on two or more coats a day.
http://www.awlgrip.com/products/clea...s/awlwood.aspx
__________________
Hopkins-Carter Marine Supplies & Fishing Tackle
What You Need, at the Price You Want...with Service!
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 14:34   #18
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,882
Re: Laquer instead of varnish?

I had to google what you meant by 'laquer' as the term is comminly used here to refer to varnish

Inside ive used just marine varnish.

Outide where i have wood, im about to use a varnish with high UV resistance from Norglass. Many people here use a two pack varnish for outside work, which dries super fast and is hard.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 14:41   #19
Registered User
 
billdre's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Boston
Boat: 1979 O'Day 28
Posts: 37
Re: Laquer instead of varnish?

If you are looking for a way to protect your wood and keep it simple and durable I would recommend Sikkens brand Cetol Marine Wood Finish. We're short on season too in Buzzard's Bay Massachusetts. I was never willing to deal with varnish. Everyone I see who uses it spends crazy amounts of time sanding and redoing it. I redid all my exterior teak three years ago. At the time it didn't have any finish left from a prior owner. The gray look. After cleaning I applied two coats of the light finish. Didn't need to do anything for two seasons. Last year we retouched parts with no other prep. Depending on how fussy you are it looks very nice. This year we will do a more comprehensive job. But it protects from UV, gives good color and the first two years of zero maintenance make it a winner for me.
__________________
billdre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 14:49   #20
Registered User
 
deblen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Grand Manan,N.B.,Canada N44.40 W66.50
Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Posts: 1,190
Images: 1
Re: Laquer instead of varnish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
If you want to spray marine varnish, you can do it with one of these.
Preval Spray Unit Complete

You'll need to play with thinning the varnish but I've seen some good results with these.


Since your time is limited you might want to try Awl Wood. I haven't tried it yet but I'm going to soon. They claim you can put on two or more coats a day.
http://www.awlgrip.com/products/clea...s/awlwood.aspx
Thanks-more possibilities.
__________________
My personal experience & humble opinions-feel free to ignore both
deblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 15:02   #21
Registered User
 
deblen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Grand Manan,N.B.,Canada N44.40 W66.50
Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Posts: 1,190
Images: 1
Re: Laquer instead of varnish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I had to google what you meant by 'laquer' as the term is comminly used here to refer to varnish

Inside ive used just marine varnish.

Outide where i have wood, im about to use a varnish with high UV resistance from Norglass. Many people here use a two pack varnish for outside work, which dries super fast and is hard.
Lacquer is commonly used in furniture factories & in some boat interiors.
It dries in 1/2-1 hr & allows several coats per day. Very strong fumes-like glue sniffing. Acetone like.
Not sure yet about it's suitability outside & in marine environment.
Can be brushed or sprayed-even available in spray (rattle) cans.
My working/sailing outdoor season is very short & wx is very changeable @ N45deg on east coast of Canada. Looking for something to use outside without taking weeks to build up coats & /or requiring special eqpt. Day dreaming I guess-can't hurt to ask.

Thanks
__________________
My personal experience & humble opinions-feel free to ignore both
deblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 15:05   #22
Registered User
 
deblen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Grand Manan,N.B.,Canada N44.40 W66.50
Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Posts: 1,190
Images: 1
Re: Laquer instead of varnish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdre View Post
If you are looking for a way to protect your wood and keep it simple and durable I would recommend Sikkens brand Cetol Marine Wood Finish. We're short on season too in Buzzard's Bay Massachusetts. I was never willing to deal with varnish. Everyone I see who uses it spends crazy amounts of time sanding and redoing it. I redid all my exterior teak three years ago. At the time it didn't have any finish left from a prior owner. The gray look. After cleaning I applied two coats of the light finish. Didn't need to do anything for two seasons. Last year we retouched parts with no other prep. Depending on how fussy you are it looks very nice. This year we will do a more comprehensive job. But it protects from UV, gives good color and the first two years of zero maintenance make it a winner for me.
Thanks. I have heard very good reports of Sikkens. Some cedar shingled houses locally have used Sikkens with good looking durable results.
Yeah-you need a lot of time & patience for varnishing outdoors in our latitudes.
__________________
My personal experience & humble opinions-feel free to ignore both
deblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 15:12   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oviedo Florida
Boat: 55 fleming
Posts: 94
Re: Laquer instead of varnish?

The best product for exterior teak I have used is Honey Teak made by Tom Fibula Signature Finishes. It has a very high UV protection, dings are easy to repair and maintenance is once a year with light sand and over coat. I live in Florida and my boats get a lot of UV exposure.
__________________
wesevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 15:12   #24
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,882
Re: Laquer instead of varnish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Lacquer is commonly used in furniture factories & in some boat interiors.
It dries in 1/2-1 hr & allows several coats per day. Very strong fumes-like glue sniffing. Acetone like.
Not sure yet about it's suitability outside & in marine environment.
Can be brushed or sprayed-even available in spray (rattle) cans.
My working/sailing outdoor season is very short & wx is very changeable @ N45deg on east coast of Canada. Looking for something to use outside without taking weeks to build up coats & /or requiring special eqpt. Day dreaming I guess-can't hurt to ask.

Thanks
Why don't you use one of the two pack varnishes then? Norglass and International both make one.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 15:25   #25
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 18,169
Re: Laquer instead of varnish?

There are Lacquers, and there are Lacquers. Paint companies sometimes call things that dry fast Lacquer that really aren't. I've done quite a bit of "real" Nitrocellulose lacquer work on musical instruments. I would not recommend it for sun exposed uses. I believe Ta Chaio and some other Chinese companies used a sort of lacquer on interior work some. It certainly seemed to be on my CT.
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 15:29   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Boat: various over the years
Posts: 52
Re: Laquer instead of varnish?

I second the recommendation for Honey Teak. It holds up over 3 years in South Florida, which translates to almost forever in northern latitudes.

Drawback: Expensive. A bit of a pain to apply, as five coats are required (2 honey teak base, 3 clear coats) for the complete job.

Tom Fabula will ship the materials most anywhere via FEDEX.

Signature Finish and Honey Teak Products - Home
__________________
ex-12m-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 15:32   #27
Registered User
 
leftbrainstuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Francisco and Australia
Boat: Liberty 458
Posts: 1,865
Re: Laquer instead of varnish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Any experience using laquer & specifically "spray can" laquer instead of varnish(any "varnish") on boat brightwork-interior & exterior?

I use spray can laquer often on "home" projects-wood & metal-& it works great.
Fast dry,tough,easy-smells horrid-need good vent. or do it outdoors on nice day.

I've Googled & read,but can't seem to find convincing evidence of it's UV tolerance & general weather/ longevity on exterior wood.

We have too short a season & very changeable wx to accomplish much outdoor varnish work locally. Varnishing requires removal of items & taken indoors here.

A rubbed laquer finish on an auto used to be the epitome of quality.

Note: I have consistently misspelled lacquer throughout. Take a deep breath,& live with it!

Tks/ Len
Lacquer will deteriorate when subjected to UV light. It also has poor hardness relative to varnish so it will scratch and mark easily.

There are no shortcuts to sanding between multiple coats of varnish for a gloss finish.

If you replace the wood with any of the good artificial pvc based replacements, like dek king, then you get color stability.

We replaced our teak deck with dek king and couldn't be happier. Maintenance free.

We plan to replace the remaining teak hand rails over time. Until then we use a teak stain. Less work than varnish but no gloss.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 15:33   #28
vjm
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 313
Re: Laquer instead of varnish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesevans View Post
The best product for exterior teak I have used is Honey Teak made by Tom Fibula Signature Finishes. It has a very high UV protection, dings are easy to repair and maintenance is once a year with light sand and over coat. I live in Florida and my boats get a lot of UV exposure.
This product sounds great, and based on testing it looks promising. More details? How did you prep? How long has it lasted?

I am also in Florida and this seems like a great product for the area.
__________________
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 17:06   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 15,977
Re: Laquer instead of varnish?

I have used can spray lacquer (=varnish) on surfboards. When you finish a repair in epoxy it is 'mate', so you spray it to return the gloss. I never saw the lacquer peel off or anything.

b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 02:24   #30
Registered User
 
deblen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Grand Manan,N.B.,Canada N44.40 W66.50
Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Posts: 1,190
Images: 1
Re: Laquer instead of varnish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Why don't you use one of the two pack varnishes then? Norglass and International both make one.
How long do they last? How often do you re-coat? How difficult to remove or repair if UV or physically damaged? Thanks
__________________

__________________
My personal experience & humble opinions-feel free to ignore both
deblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
varnish

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Varnish or not to Varnish ? keelkicker Construction, Maintenance & Refit 45 04-02-2016 14:35
Varnish over Polyurethane? And PU over Varnish? MarkJ Construction, Maintenance & Refit 8 06-08-2013 15:31
Run 2 12v Batts in Series Instead of 4 6v? jeffe Construction, Maintenance & Refit 6 11-07-2009 05:10
To VARNISH... or NOT to varnish............. High Cotton Construction, Maintenance & Refit 9 30-11-2007 11:22
cedar instead of teak for interior ? Aquah0lic Monohull Sailboats 6 17-08-2007 08:58


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:55.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.