Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 16:23   #226

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
If it starts getting too expensive you could always put a li††le cross on the †op and ask for donations.
Old 02-10-2010, 19:42   #227
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
The church of the holy smoke what did I get myself into now!

Old 02-10-2010, 21:26   #228

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Ya know....your gonna have the local police force watching your power meter now don't ya?...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:15   #229
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
If it starts getting too expensive you could always put a li††le cross on the †op and ask for donations.
Or move the build down to the Jacksonville Florida area, where Sully has a building (and some boat-building materials) for sale.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:18   #230
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Or move the build down to the Jacksonville Florida area, where Sully has a building (and some boat-building materials) for sale.
What was/is Sully building? A cat? I don't think I'll be moving this monster anywhere for a few years! Sheez it's turning out to be a major undertaking all on its own! Here's an update!

There's not too many things I'm afraid of on this planet but this diabolical device is one of them!

It sounds like a Concorde taking off! A little unsettling at first but it does get the job done!

I set out to make the barn doors today.

I'll hang the top of these with the wonderful hinges a fellow boat builder gave me and my neighbor Robert gave me another pair of extra heavy duty hinges for the bottom. I don't think they'll see much service and will be semi-permanently closed. When it's time to pull the boat out of the shed I should be done with the shed so it can be dismantled at that time.

It took a little trial and error to get used to the flame thrower! It seems there's a bit of a time lag between applying heat to the plastic and it actually starting to shrink. If you linger too long over an area it melts.

If you look close here you can see where I did exactly that. Good thing I bought the patch tape when I bought the heat shrink plastic. It works wonders. If you get too close to the plastic the flame thrower will burn straight through. That's what I did here.

That patch tape works wonders. Hopefully as I get a little more used to this equipment I'll need less and less of it.

Well that's probably it till next weekend. Standby......

PS. When working with a flame thrower have the garden hose on standby, don't ask how I figured that out! Standby to standby......
Old 03-10-2010, 21:22   #231

Dismantle the shed on completion?????

Don't you know you never dismantle any building you conned your wife into allowing you to build in the first place?...Sheesh!......You don't give ground man...that's a battle already won...Destined to be a fine man cave me thinks...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:54   #232
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Dismantle the shed on completion?????

Don't you know you never dismantle any building you conned your wife into allowing you to build in the first place?...Sheesh!......You don't give ground man...that's a battle already won...Destined to be a fine man cave me thinks...
Well that's an option too or maybe just dig a pool underneath the shed maybe!
Old 04-10-2010, 12:58   #233

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
Well that's an option too or maybe just dig a pool underneath the shed maybe!
Either that or it could turn into a green house.
Old 04-10-2010, 13:04   #234
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just a thought, Rick, but wouldn't it be less gloomy in there in the winter if you used some clear plastic instead of all blue material?

TaoJones
Old 04-10-2010, 13:14   #235
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Tao, with virtually nothing up here all winter but grey skies, snow and ice to look out on, blue is probably cheerier than clear!

Brad
Old 05-10-2010, 05:11   #236
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Just a thought, Rick, but wouldn't it be less gloomy in there in the winter if you used some clear plastic instead of all blue material?
White would have been ideal. I went cheap and got the blue off of e-Bay for about half price. Like SouthernStar said, there's not much sun up here in the winter so the blue kinda reminds me of nice blue ocean! Duh! Well, not really. It was just the cheapest.

I've got 4 x 4' dual fluorescent lights and a bunch of halogens, if that's not 'nuff I can always add some clear panels as sky lights.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:40   #237

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Pretty impressive Rick.
I sure appreciate you taking the time to document this...its a real eye opener for many members who want to do a home build.
Thanks Rick
Old 09-10-2010, 12:34   #238
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think I'm slowing down in my old age! *sigh* Things just don't seem to be going as easy as they should. Been pretty tired lately. Dunno why.

Had my buddy Andrew helping today. We got the barn doors hung and the plastic on the back of the shed up. We tried to hang a large piece on the side but the wind kicked up and tore out all the staples we had holding it in place.

You can see the piece we tried to hang on the right hand side in the back corner. It took off in a light breeze just like a sail!

Backside view of the barn doors. The one on the right is semi-permanently fixed in place. It has hinges but I screwed it to the door jamb to hold everything in place so they wouldn't flop around in the wind.

I put the blow torch to the door on the right today. Didn't use as much heat or linger waiting for the plastic to shrink. It worked perfectly.

We'll try again tomorrow to hang the rest of the plastic. Put some thought into it and instead of going from the back (east) working towards the front we'll start at the front and work back. Less likelihood the wind will work against us. Standby....

PS. Thanks for the kind comments James. I'm glad someone's reading this drivel I keep typing!
Old 09-10-2010, 14:45   #239

What is the advertised wind rating for this structure by the way?

Old 09-10-2010, 16:03   #240
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
What is the advertised wind rating for this structure by the way?
According to the designer 60 MPH.

I don't think we've had anything like that around here with the exception of an odd micro burst.
Closed Thread