Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2008, 04:45   #46
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
John, you are a sucker for punishment!

Maybe you should get one boat finished then you'll have a place to live when the Admiral kicks ya out! Or you can just move her aboard instead!

You'll have to start posting some pics of your projects. Make that the Admiral's job. Once she gets involved she just might enjoy it!
Old 15-07-2008, 05:13   #47

Boat: 13 mtr Adams steel cruiser-"Lady Eileen".)
Aye- I'm a sandwich short of a picnic.

Rick,

Yep,
Can't be happy with one bloody project the admiral says -you gotta go out and buy another steel bathtub.?
Guess what -the new boat comes with a 25x10 steel shed in the deal too.
The new doghouse ?
The new boat has a 3.8 mtr wide aft cabin with an ensuite shower area and toilet.That made her happy.

Old rusty will have to go I'm afraid.This new boat is a much better option for me and I am doing most of the work on my own to an extent so I need to be realistic.Having said that I will recover all of my costs ( and then some ) so far on the original project with out any problem which is good.
The Adams was an absolute steal.
Still pinching myself.

Will post some pics soon.

Regards
JC
Old 17-07-2008, 18:24   #48
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The latest candidate for diesel/electric propulsion system for the TW28 I've found is e-Pods. Primarily designed for retrofit into sailboats they appear as if they might be a viable alternative to some of the more expensive systems we've looked at before.

http://www.re-e-power.com/E-Pods.html

Roughly estimating the cost of a "cat" setup (2 pods) with 8 Lifeline GPL-4DL AGM's would cost just a tad over $20K. From my estimate about $5K more than a conventional diesel direct drive system. It might be worth the investment down the road in resale if you market the boat as a "Diesel Electric Hybrid"!

If I can get more details from the mfgr of the e-Pods maybe we can work out some performance specs. Anybody got any experience with e-Pods?
Old 11-08-2008, 14:56   #49
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My goal today was to turn $40 of very nice baltic birch plywood into a pile of sawdust. I did a pretty good job of that. Thank gawd for the shop vac or KG would have killed me!

This is a 1/2 scale (13" x 13") of a deck hatch.

The top (clear) is 1/4" lexan bedded with mastic tape. It'll be rounded over on the sander and sealed along the edges with some 4200. The depth of the box is so that it can be put through the deck and tabbed inside. Still figuring out dimensions for the seal allowance etc. Hinges will be external flush type. This is only a prototype to see if I could do it. Been a long time since I butchered any wood.

I learned a few things though.....

My cheapo table saw couldn't cut a straight piece if it's life depended on it! My $450 Craftsman sliding compound mitre saw will cut perfect 45 deg angles! I used my vacuum pump and infusion equipment as a vacuum press when I had to laminate the 1/2" and 1/4" ply. Worked like a charm!

We also got the binding tape attachment for our sewing machine that folds and holds the binding tape as you feed the material into the needle. Works like a third & fourth set of hands.

More later, gotta go clean up the basement b4 the Admiral gets home!
Old 19-08-2008, 04:43   #50
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We gotta make room and the ole' boat's gotta go!

For Sale: 1987 25' Sunray Mirage express cruiser (Sunray Mirage)
Old 24-08-2008, 14:56   #51
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ok, one of the challenges to building your own boat is finding a place to build it. I'm cheap, I admit it so I'm going to build it in my own backyard as opposed to renting space at a nearby marina. Besides it'll save a lot of trips back and forth for tools etc.

The next hurdle in getting space to build is to level off our backyard which dips down to a ditch. Some of you might remember a couple of years ago this ditch captured our boat and we had to call a tow truck to pull it out. Anyhow. The plan is to build a 30" retaining wall, install the drainage pipe and backfill. This will bring the entire yard up to grade with our neighbors on the right.

The one problem I have is moving my shed. It has to come 20-25' towards the house so we can do the landscaping. There's not enough room to get the Jimmy in there to tow it out of the way. So I was thinking of hooking some cables to it, anchored to the shed and our porch (4x4" posts sunk into the ground as anchors) and a few pulley's (to give me a 2 to 1 mechanical advantage). I'm guessing the sheds 800 lbs or so and it's got to come up grade a few degs. We'll slide in some soaped up 2x10x16' planks for it to slide on.

What size cable should I look for? 1/4" to big or too small? Am I nuts?
Old 24-08-2008, 15:48   #52

Boat: 13 mtr Adams steel cruiser-"Lady Eileen".)
Gluttons for punishment

Hey Rick,

Congrats on starting your new project and good luck
Many years ago I had to move a really large shed ( hardwood to boot )approx 20x 10 ft in a similar fashion up an inclined back yard.Would be a alternate idea if you could jack up and slip a few round sleeper logs under the shed and roll it while you pull it rather than slide.Might make it a little easier although the soaped up plank idea has a lot of merit going its way too.Depends on how much help you have available and the construction strength of your shed
I tied a chain around a large tree and used one of those ratchet type lever winches with a lever approx 2 ft long.attached a few pulleys to each corner of the shed at lowest level for max pull and fed them to a central bigger one which went to the ratchet winch
One hand winching -one beer in other hand.Kind of multi skilling that I like.
Nice and slow.

PS.
Been meaning to tell you this for a while.
We should be both certifed mad.!!!! LOL.
How many projects can 2 grown men do?
You with your new roof,cabin cruiser and now this little "interlude"

I have just bought another boat ( a 27 ft steel Roberts Spray ) so I have to be mad- thats 4 now with the original 40 footer one off to the scrap yard as it was too much work..The 43 ft Adams is the main focus overall.
An old 24 ft traditional steel fishing half cabin in progress on the side for good measure.

My guess is we wont be going off to the pub with the boys for a few cool ones for quite a while ?

Regards
JC
Old 24-08-2008, 15:52   #53
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I like the log idea John but the ground is probably too soft for that. If I empty the shed out I think it'll be down to maybe 600 lbs. I've got some ratchet straps but they won't give enough pull. Maybe some "come alongs" (ratchet cable winches) would work too.

Life would be so much more boring w/o any handy dandy Do It Yourself projects eh? Yup some of us are gluttons for punishment. The best is yet to come though!
Old 24-08-2008, 16:07   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Not sure 1/4 inch cable is enough. Years ago I did something like that to straighten a garage. The cable snapped and it would have killed me if I was taller. The force on the end of a snapped cable is very powerful. Brute force works but stored energy in a over tensioned cable released in an uncontrolled fashion could take your head off.

Have you considered jacking it up and going more "old world" and use rollers and planks to slide the shed along. It would save some of the cables pulleys and ripping the foundation off the porch. A couple guys should then be able to push it. This stuff never moves like it's supposed to. It may only weigh 800 but is may slide like 8,000 and dig into the ground more than expected. It's hard to get a real grip on a shed so it won't get damaged from too much pull and not enough go.

BTW, you could still be nuts. It may be useful later. Always good to save a little for reserve.
Old 25-08-2008, 03:14   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by john connell View Post
... Would be a alternate idea if you could jack up and slip a few round sleeper logs under the shed and roll it while you pull it rather than slide...
The formula for computing the SWL of a wire rope is the diameter of the rope squared, multiplied by 8.
SWL in tons = D x D x 8 = .125 x .125 x 8 = 1/8 Ton = 250 Lbs

Hence 1/4" Dia Wire Rope should be sufficient for a ½ ton load, and a 1/8" dia. Rope for a 250 Lb. Load.

Provided you limit frictional* loading, your horizontal load might be on the order of only 100 Lbs or so.
* Use “Rollers”, not a soaped slide to reduce friction.

Even a cheap light duty single line come-along should suffice, if you cannot push the shed by hand.

Old 25-08-2008, 06:11   #56

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
Have you considered jacking it up and going more "old world" and use rollers and planks to slide the shed along. It would save some of the cables pulleys and ripping the foundation off the porch. A couple guys should then be able to push it. This stuff never moves like it's supposed to. It may only weigh 800 but is may slide like 8,000 and dig into the ground more than expected. It's hard to get a real grip on a shed so it won't get damaged from too much pull and not enough go.
I would do it this way also. If the ground is soft put a sheet or two of plywood down. You could roll it on pvc pipe.
Old 25-08-2008, 09:02   #57
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Paul View Post
I would do it this way also. If the ground is soft put a sheet or two of plywood down. You could roll it on pvc pipe.
Oh yeah, plywood, that's the stuff you build boats out of isn't it?

I'm trying to figure out which materials I'll need that I can use later. If I go with the planks soaped up I'll use the planks for the retaining wall. If I buy some round posts (or pvc pipe) I won't have any use for them later, same goes for the plywood. Hmmm?
Old 25-08-2008, 09:13   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The coefficient of friction of a ramp (greased planks) might double your load over rollers.

Old 25-08-2008, 09:58   #59
Kai Nui

If it was me, I would rent a small skid steer with fork attachments, and use that to move the shed. If you have a gate you can walk through, you can get a skid steer through. The shed is not very heavy, so getting a machine that qwill lift it should be no problem.

Old 30-08-2008, 10:16   #60
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It moved! It moved!

About an inch and a half.

Is this how they make custom hardware? I splayed open two perfectly good 3/8" eye bolts. Couldn't get a decent grip on anything with the eye bolts and they mostly just pulled out.

I think the shed is heaver than I thought. I'm not as think as smart I am! Now to jacking it up to grade level and find some rollers long enough to do the job right! Yes Gord, I should have listened and got some rollers. But I do have a nice new 2000 lb 12V winch and attachment for my trailer hitch and about 50' of nice new 5/16" aircraft cable.
Closed Thread