Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2010, 04:33   #196
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Question for "Gord-o-pedia" or any knowledgeable pipe fitter type person.

Will a schedule 80 2-1/2" pipe fit inside a schedule 80 3" pipe

I'm looking at this chart and it seems 0.025" might be an interference fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	schedule80pipedimensions.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	18038  
Old 28-07-2010, 06:16   #197
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Yes, a schedule 80 2-1/2" pipe will fit inside a schedule 80 3" pipe.
I don’t think that allowance (0.025") will result in an interference fit.
Tolerancing

Old 29-07-2010, 07:17   #198
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Gord. Here's what I have in mind. I'd like to construct a two part mast similar to the one on this TW28.....

The first part of the mast would go from the keel step to the cabin top (approx. 8') and be permanently fixed. The second part would form the upper part of the mast (10'). The two sections would be joined by the 2.5" pipe (1' inside each mast section for a total of 2') inside the 3" mast. See where I'm going with this? I'll be able to easily remove the upper portion of the mast for bridge clearance etc. There's not enough structure in the cabin top to use a deck step or tabernacle for a mast like this without adding a lot of weight which is a concern from the designer.

I'm thinking schedule 80 3" ALUMINUM 6061 T6 PIPE will be a bit of overkill but at some point in the future I might want to hang a set of paravanes from it. Think this will work?
Old 29-07-2010, 07:47   #199
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I think the 2.5" pipe could be used as an internal splice joiner, provided the 3" mast is only intended for light dutry (small riding sail, antenna & anchor light).

Rigging paravanes (flopper stoppers) might (or might not) require a tighter fit, which could be machined from round stock if required at that later time..

Old 07-08-2010, 13:14   #200
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Update: Not much to report though. I went to see my Amish buddy who's cutting the wood for my bow shed. Unfortunately the order isn't ready yet and will likely be another two weeks. *sigh* I understand they're busy fella's with a thriving garden shed & gazebo business. They probably accomplish more before breakfast than we do in a week! Anyhow with no materials to work with all I could do was setup the blocks to build the bows. I know it ain't much but it's all I got to report.

This is half a bow. When it's up the shed will be 20' wide by 32' long and 17' at the peak.

That's it, that is all. Standby.... I am
Old 20-08-2010, 13:59   #201
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I know it ain't much to look at but this is the first bow for the shed.

I gave up trying to find 20' strapping. Couldn't get it anywhere, even my Amish buddy let me down. So onto Plan "C". Gluing & Screwing.

One bow down only 37 more to go.

If I ever get this stupid shed built, building the boat should be a breeze! Standby....
Old 20-08-2010, 18:26   #202

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Well if you were closer Id say lets build a saw mill together...I have the engine and clutch already..and will probably use an old truck frame I have for the sled ...I really just need the head works...unfortunately that's 2 grand...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 20-08-2010, 18:34   #203
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
I know it ain't much to look at but this is the first bow for the shed.

I gave up trying to find 20' strapping. Couldn't get it anywhere, even my Amish buddy let me down. So onto Plan "C". Gluing & Screwing.

One bow down only 37 more to go.

If I ever get this stupid shed built, building the boat should be a breeze! Standby....
Just remember this quote, Rick:
Quote:
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Lao-tzu
, The Way of Lao-tzu Chinese philosopher (604 BC - 531 BC)
Old 21-08-2010, 04:04   #204
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Well if you were closer Id say lets build a saw mill together...I have the engine and clutch already..and will probably use an old truck frame I have for the sled ...I really just need the head works...unfortunately that's 2 grand...
I don't think they grow trees 20' high anymore! Sounds like a good idea though. I talked to one fella with a portable mill and he's booked up till next year!
Old 21-08-2010, 18:49   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
I don't think they grow trees 20' high anymore! Sounds like a good idea though. I talked to one fella with a portable mill and he's booked up till next year!
Dang!....Im in the wrong buisness....what is he cutting?...Hardwood?..soft wood?

What part of Canada are you from Mate?....BC and parts of the Yukon has some of the most buitiful timber in the world!

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 22-08-2010, 10:29   #206
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Dang!....Im in the wrong buisness....what is he cutting?...Hardwood?..soft wood?

What part of Canada are you from Mate?....BC and parts of the Yukon has some of the most buitiful timber in the world!
Mostly softwoods around here. Spruce & pine. Some maple, cherry & ash too but not much.

Pretty close to the opposite end of the country, well 2/3rds of the way. I'm on the St. Lawrence River about half way between Montreal & Kingston. All the big trees around here got cut down in the last century I guess. Anyhow, no biggie, we'll carry on doing what we're doing. We'll get there it'll just take a while longer. Standby...
Old 06-09-2010, 05:39   #207
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just getting this bow shed up is turning into a major production! I kinda underestimated how much work these things are. It doesn't help I'm doing it all by myself. My back and knees hurt somethin' fierce!

Looks a lil' more like a messy construction site now. I've got 3 more bows to make, had to take a break for awhile, back seizing up on me. I don't like working on the ground. I'm building one more arch so I can double up the center span, that's where I'll lift the engine into the boat.

The next report should be the actual assembly of this monster! Standby....
Old 06-09-2010, 12:47   #208

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Cool....holding my breath for the next batch of pics.
Old 06-09-2010, 13:23   #209

Well at least you still have sunshine...My moniker is holding true around here.....Oh and my back always hurts...quit your whining..

Old 06-09-2010, 15:00   #210
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Oh and my back always hurts...quit your whining..
Yes dear!

PS. I forgot to mention the ole' Tennis Elbow is kicking up too!
Closed Thread