Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2006, 18:04   #1

Well Rick.

You most definitely have your work all laid out before you!!

How long did the designer say it should take you to build one of these boats?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2006, 18:27   #2

$38,000 CDN.

Not bad at all!!

Yeah. Whatever you do. Don't take any shortcuts. You'll only be folling yourself. Or the next owner if ya do!!

Stick to the building plans at all costs!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 30-05-2006, 20:58   #3
Kai Nui

Rick, I have to commend you on this thread. I look forward to following your progress as the project takes form. I think it will be beneficial to many of us to see, not just the plan, or the finished project, but the process.
Old 30-05-2006, 21:03   #4

I'm in total agreement with Kai. On the subject of wanting to see how your boat building project comes along, as you're building it.

Alot of us on this forum could greatly benefit from seeing your fruits of labor being presented in the fullest form. As you're doing it!!

I will now wish you the best of luck on your "pet" project. And may you learn "much" from this endeavor?

Old 31-05-2006, 05:09   #5

Rick.

That's almost 2 whole years.

I originally thought, that you were going to start building that boat alot sooner than 2008!!

My bad!!

Old 31-05-2006, 19:08   #6
Kai Nui

Sure looks easy from that perspective It is really hard to comunicate all the work that goes into a project like this with simple photos.
The time frame is good as it will allow plenty of time to ponder all the variables. Like I said, this is a great opportunity to see what is really involved in building a boat.
Old 31-05-2006, 19:21   #7

Yeah.

Rick if ya could post the photos, of the stages of your build.

Including the shed, where you're building the boat in.

Everything shown would be very good to have, as part of your photo documentry.

Old 03-06-2006, 07:44   #8

Boat: caliber 40lrc Soul Searcher
When you get into this you need to be careful of building things on the ground that go on a boat it usually doesnt work. like cabinets, there is nothing square on a boat. In my career Ive been involved in the construction of about 9 differint boats mostly passenger vessles I put some pics of the one I'm currently on in the photo gallery If I can help let me know. One way I considerd building my own boat was to just find a hull that I liked and starting with that just a bare hull. anyway Good Luk!!
Old 03-06-2006, 08:00   #9

Boat: caliber 40lrc Soul Searcher
Tou have the advantage of not haveing to comply wth fire loading rules so coverings are abundant get ready for a sticker shock seizure, ach urk phfft resin is now 718.00 US a barrle thats OEM price.
Old 03-06-2006, 17:53   #10

That looks like a reasonable realistic figure to me, Rick.

Nice job with the spreadsheets too!!

Old 05-06-2006, 17:59   #11
Kai Nui

Rick, its only money. I think your numbers are pretty close, and there are deals out there if you have the time to find them. The one thing you did not factor in (unless I am missing something) is your labor. But, as long as it is a labor of love, you will still come out ahead.
SS, building cabinets on the ground can work, you just need a grinder and lots of patience to fit them. As for the comparison between houses and boats, I have never owned a house with square walls I started with the bare hull on the trimaran, and it has been the best choice I have made. A spiling block and some door skins work great for building the cabinets on the ground.
Old 05-06-2006, 18:44   #12
Kai Nui

I am curious about the cost of the repair on your engine. $4000 sounds steep for mains.I just covered mains in a Series 60 that ran on it's side and it was only about $1200.
Old 05-06-2006, 20:16   #13

$4,000 for mains.

Rick, you're getting ripped off, methinks?

Have you shopped around to different shops/facilities?

Old 05-06-2006, 21:44   #14
Kai Nui

K, not necessarily. It's the additional R&I that kills ya. Kinda like the boat project. Screw and glue is cheap, but the jigs and other things that get thrown away are the hidden costs. R&I on the oil pan for the Detroit is 6 hours. Add 12 gallons of oil, and assume the rods are not damaged, the crank is not damaged etc. That is why I asked. If there are no hidden issues, the mains are 15 minutes each to change, and about $450 for the set. Again, these are Detroit numbers. I do not remember the exact numbers for other makes off the top of my head.
Old 06-06-2006, 00:09   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Spun Mains on a Detroit?!? How'd that happen

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote