Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2015, 12:46   #1

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti
Kevlar based paint for deck..

..Around here on the bay area the winter is awesome..
Temperature rarely went down to 40 so everybody can keep working on few project around boats.
Do you remember my "teak deck friend"?? he still juggling about different solutions in order to avoid the cost associate with teak remove/replaced.
He called me yesterday with a (he think) smart idea.. use a kevlar based paint in order to cover that deck..
He specifically pointed the paint used to cover the back of truck.
I went down to my parking spot and took at look at the linen I paint almost two years ago for my truck back..
After two years of wear and tear, linen looks dirty with few scratch but overall.. very good condition..
I took a second look and ask myself if I want that finishing on my shiny boat... I conclude could be utterly ugly but economy is economy.. paint have a good grip and tolerate everything you can put down there..
So... what do you think?? It's good (cheap and ugly) idea or it's gonna ended falling apart???
Old 02-01-2015, 12:51   #2

Re: Kevlar based paint for deck..

What's the point of Kevlar in the paint? I don't know that I've seen a problem with good paint wearing through from foot traffic in the past. Although it is susceptible to scratching... especially on racing boats with spinnaker poles banging around etc.....

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 14:38   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Painting a teak deck with truck bed liner. Very creative. It's probably pretty good non-skid, it's rough as a cob.

I think he should try it and let us know how it works. I suspect he would be the first person to do it.
Old 02-01-2015, 14:56   #4

..I gonna take a piece of teak and paint it.. Let's see what happened..
Really.. I never read another people do something like this.. back to the forum reporting about it..
Old 02-01-2015, 15:59   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Look at Durabak. Highly rated by Practical Sailor.

Urethane based. We put it on our boats and it has great traction. Very sure under foot. Better feel than tread master. Comes in colors.

http://www.durabakcompany.com/marine.htm

Truck Bed Liner
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 16:13   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Look at Durabak. Highly rated by Practical Sailor.

Urethane based. We put it on our boats and it has great traction. Very sure under foot. Better feel than tread master. Comes in colors.

Non-slip Safety Coating for Your Boat or Ship

Truck Bed Liner
Thanks! Gonna take at look and back to the forum...
..maybe we find a cheap way to paint top boats...
Old 02-01-2015, 18:22   #7

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Durabac is bad news. Both from our past experience with it and just about everyone else that has put it on a boat deck, they/we regretted it. I finally removed it all and coated with a product called Tuffcoat, Ultra Tuff and Tuff Coat Marine Non Skid Coatings . We're using it on our second boat and we are extremely happy with how it holds up, We do very extensive cruising so the decks get well used in about every condition. Here's a blog post we did on one application, Voyages of Sea Trek: Transforming the Non-Skid Decks . Although I don't recommend coating teak decks with anything. Any water intrusion under the coating is going to create all kinds of additional problems. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 19:35   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm not out to get in a pissing contest, and lord knows paint performance can vary.

But here is a link to a Practical Sailor "Best Of" article where they mention Durabak.

http://www.yachtpaint.com/Literature...-best-gear.pdf

We've had it on our big boat 2 years and will likely take off the tread master and replace it with Durabak.

Now, if you wanna talk anchors....
Old 02-01-2015, 21:31   #9

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

hpeer, A review that is now almost 3 years old isn't really helpful and there is absolutely no information as to what other products if any they tested. Real world reports including my own experience with Durabac is that it fades quickly, usually starts showing grey spots that get progressively worse, is impossible to clean once it gets dirty and the manufacturer is of little help and denies there is any problem with the product. We had to redo our decks 3 times because they looked terrible after only a few months. At first the manufacturer replaced the product, but that does little good to deal with all of the labor in removing and re-coating. Other than the fact that it looked like crap, the non-skid held up well. Finally he refused to acknowledge that the product just performed poorly. I have been in the marina service industry for 40 years and have a pretty good working knowledge on how these things are applied and what to expect from them. The Tuffcoat on the other hand is 8 years old on our former sailboat and looks pretty good today with little maintenance other than cleaning. It's now 7 year old on our trawler and has thousands of miles on it. The Tuffcoat looks the same today as the day we put it on. Everyone we have talked to that has used Durabac on their decks has the same problems we had. So that is our experience and others can certainly use whatever they wish on their boats. I'm not suggesting that anyone use one product or the other. I simply will relay my experiences and the other first hand experiences we have seen with our own eyes on other boats and let the OP make his own decision. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:50   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

And my experience is that, after seeing how it performed, others in our marina used it.

We haven't experienced any fading.

I can see the cleaning issue.

I agree it is rough as hell, gives a great grip under foot. That's why it's hard to clean. But we like the performance and secure feel it gives. Your have a trawler, presumably warm water folks. We have sailboats we have primarily used in Northern waters, we probably experience a lot more heel than you do and thus appreciate the grip more.

Boat next door did a combo type application, bottom coat of rough, top coat of smooth. That way they were able to get the degree of roughness they wanted without the aggressive texture we like.

They had experimented with it on a piece of ply. Interestingly they found the smooth was harder to clean than the rough.

They were using white, while I have used grey and sand color.

Could be there have been batch control differences, differences in the color, or just differences in expectations.

Glad you found something that works for you and we found something that works for us.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:21   #11

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

We used RUSTOLEUM for the deck (almond) , hull (white) , mast boom (forest green) , stripes (forest green).
Gorgeous looking and with the odd touch up still great after 12 years.
A bit soft but touch up is so easy.
Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 16:23   #12

Well that box liner stuff(Linex or Rhinohyde) might hang on to the teak if it is sprayed on when the teak is real dry but I wonder how long it would be before the expansion and contraction of the decking would cause a crack to form in the coating, letting moisture in again or "blister bubbles" would show up as moisture tries to escape through the waterproof coating. The bigger question though is what's going on under the teak, is the deck coring slowly rotting away, while your friend tries to "save" his money? I have seen boat owners try to seal up a leaking deck with various acrylic based sundeck coatings(anybody remember a product called Thorpe Easy-Deck) or in one case a troweled on coating of black Sikaflex, the same polyurethane compound used in the deck seams, and it worked, for a couple of seasons, BUT, sooner or later the damage initially done to the deck grew larger and less of the deck was "safe" to walk on.
That sort of situation is intolerable and should never be passed on to the next owner.
shipleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 18:22   #13

Well... this kind of paint are incredible strong, question is see how's long can stick with teak..
I think could be a good solution against the expensive teak deck replacement...
Old 04-01-2015, 13:52   #14

Boat: 1973 CHB sedan

Down here in Australia we have a product called" Tread grip" water based rubberised deck paint, a very good product, jumps 8 to 9 mm gaps, expands and contracts with current temp and forms a waterproof membrane, mild soapy water for cleaning with a soft broom.
chiefcoxswain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, paint