Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 06:43   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin
Re: Kemah Canvas Shop ?

Ocean Girl

And I thought all the drama was at Marina Del Sol. LOL.
WE lived aboard in Waterford from 2006 to 2008. My slip in Waterford was not good for backing out a 39' boat with a full keel. Then moved to Marina Del Sol for 2009 to 2010. I got a slip with a wide fairway. Then they doubles their rates and when I looked at waterford again, they had a slip available with a decent size fairway and so we went back to Waterford. My sailboat went up for sale last year and so we moved the boat back to Marina Del Sol this year and the new-to-me Mainship is under cover in Blue Dolphin.

In Rockport we were boatless waiting for insurance settlement from Katrina and were living in my RV. When we bought the sailboat in Fl. we sailed across the Gulf to Kemah.
I really liked Port A but was very bored in Rockport. Anyway, Kemah made the better choice because my work assignment offshore shifted from flying out of Port O'Connor to flying out of Houma, La. Living in La. was out of the question and the Ms. coast was devastated.

Living in Austin has got to be the coolest place to live. My step son was there for 4 years at the University. WE enjoyed visiting there.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 20:39   #17

Boat: Morgan 41 Out Island 416

Sundowner Canvas
900 Anders Ln. Ste. 11
Kemah, Texas 77565
832-385-2584
sundownercanvas@gmail.com
Never used them...going to try them
New Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:01   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS

My bimini was done by North Canvas. It's excellent workmanship but it was tough to get the job done. They would come out in fits and starts, building and assembling it over the course of a few weeks. It seems like they are very busy at the moment. Good quality work though.
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 15:57   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to L.Angeldelamer

That was not me in the picture. I was not working for him at that time.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bikin...homepage_panel

This is me. If anyone would like to contact me for a referral on Mike Sorensen.
832-257-0289
I am up in the North part of the Houston Area near the Woodlands. So I'm going to bloom where I'm planted. Plenty of boats and sailboats on lake Conroe.

The pattern looks nice and tight. And The girl had a smile on her face.
Old 26-04-2015, 14:22   #20
Marine Service Provider

You got a phone number for reference and I have photos.
Mike Sorensen Canvas and Upholstery Kemah, Tx
Old 28-04-2015, 14:26   #21
Marine Service Provider

Another new kid on the block is Phyllis Mitchell Canvas in Kemah.
She is very, very, good and very, very, honorable.
She patched up some of Mike Sorensen's disaster on my boat. That is another long story.
Old 29-04-2015, 08:17   #22

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Tony, were you in Port St Joe a month or two ago? Saw a mainship that looked like yours. Actually my hubby was pointing it out saying if we went power, those main ships would be our first looksey :-).

We are cruising and still very happy with our dodger from Banks. And we had the same issue of them coming out a few times before getting it right, but they got it very right. Plus, I had them do something rather unusual to our dodger, so that was a challenging.
Cheers,
Erika
Old 29-04-2015, 17:35   #23
Marine Service Provider

Sorry Erika, it wasn't us. We are still up on the Tennessee River. We just started our new cruise a few days ago. We left Joe Wheeler State park in NW Alabama a few days ago. Only traveled about 100 miles since then.
It's kind of wild to think that we left Texas on a boat and are now in the foot hills of the Adirondacks - and all by water. I don't remember the exact number, but I think it was about 26 Locks and Dams ago. The tallest was about a 93 foot lift. The weather up here is cool at times but spring and fall are great.
We will probably make it down to the coast again in a year or so. I made friends with some sailors up here and so I get my sailing 'fix' quite often. Lake sailing is fun but not the same as the Gulf - not even in the same ball park.
Tell Hubby, we love our 36 Aft cabin Mainship. perfect for 2 people. The hardest thing to get used to when converting over is that when we plan a trip, we allow for $2/mile in gas. I think that since wind is free, so shouls everything else be.

Banks has a very good reputation and they make good. Glad you are happy with it.

BTW, where are you guys located now?
Regards

Tony B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Tony, were you in Port St Joe a month or two ago? Saw a mainship that looked like yours. Actually my hubby was pointing it out saying if we went power, those main ships would be our first looksey :-).

We are cruising and still very happy with our dodger from Banks. And we had the same issue of them coming out a few times before getting it right, but they got it very right. Plus, I had them do something rather unusual to our dodger, so that was a challenging.
Cheers,
Erika
Old 30-04-2015, 06:15   #24

We are meandering through the florida keys. Near Cudjoe key now. We try to stay out for two weeks then hit town for water, food,fuel, etc. just spent a month at Garrisons Bight moorings in Key West. Fun, but stayed a week too long :-).
Thanks for the $/mile tip, that is really helpful. :-). Hope to see you around.
Erika
Old 01-05-2015, 04:40   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
...............Thanks for the $/mile tip, that is really helpful. :-). Hope to see you around.
Erika
I really miss sailing. We made the conversion because when we were finally about to plan our cruise, the Admiral developed a degenerative lung disorder, then thyroid removal and then eye surgery within a span of 6 months. It was the degenerative lung disorder that killed our sailing career.
The lack of full lung capacity and physical weakness caused her to not want to sail anymore. She did however, not want to give up living aboard and the boating lifestyle. So I came up with the trawler idea and she loved it. And now we are boating inland and loving it.

BTW, are you on a perpetual cruise or are you going back to Tx.?
Old 03-05-2015, 22:39   #26

Perpetual cruise. I'm kinda in a similar situation as your wife. Since my brain surgery to "cure" me, my brain has a very hard time with movement, sudden or long easy rolls. So far we have done rather well picking our weather windows, but a beautiful sail, perfect day on the gulf, nearly sent me to the ER. I'm convince my brain will get the hang of it, I've sailed many miles offshore, love the rowdy seas and big waves. Even now as I sit here we are in 30 knot gusts in a not so perfect anchorage, I am joyous and happy but my brain is NOT. so we will give it a year, look at what works, are we using the sails? and rethink.
Erika
PS sorry for the thread drift.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:26   #27
Marine Service Provider

I wasn't aware that you had brain surgery and it can be a lifestyle changer.
Let me say this about that. The admiral loves being a river rat and so do I.
When the thought of converting from sail to power came into being, I was not the least disappointed because I had mixed emotions. I love sailing and the sense of freedom that comes with it. I love the physical side also, like the general 'feeling' of sailing. On the other side of the coin, I always loved running rivers also. Open water gets very boring after the first day, whereas the river view is ever changing. It also felt good to get out of hurricane territory. I cant count the times we had to remove sails and hurricane prep only to put everything back again a week later. Losing everything in Katrina also was not a fun trip. So we ended up swapping hurricanes for tornados. Tornado fears only last a few hours while hurricane fears start from when the dust storm leaves Africa until they finally hit somewhere. That could be as long as a 3 week worry period. River running also has it's set of challenges and beauty. The psychological conversion was pretty smooth and seamless. And I still get to day sail with friends. As long as we are on the water, I am happy.
The admiral also loves the no-heeling. We are probably much older than you guys so the conversion is easier. I am 68.49 and she is 75.
The hard part was to give up all the work and prep on the sailboat, but life opens up new doors and we are happy. Today we woke up to 54* and the high today will be 71. For me - that is as perfect as it can get.

Have a great day and keep an open mind.

Regards

Tony B
Old 04-05-2015, 06:48   #28
Marine Service Provider

Oh, just wanted to add - the thread drift is a little refreshing, thank you.
And as you have already noticed, cruising sailing requires a lot of motoring also.
When we first started looking at power boats we were still sleeping in the V-berth of our Allied 39 ketch. When we looked at the first power boat (the 36 Mainship that we now have) and climbed inside, the admirals first reaction was "OMG - a real bed!!!!!" I gotta admit, it was a new concept for be too, after living in V-berths for over 16 years.
The Mainship 36 Aft Cabin (DC) has probably 3 times the interior space as the Allied 39 ketch.

Tony B

Tags
canvas, kemah