Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2016, 09:26   #136

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Keel sump repair

Best keel post ever!!! wow......
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 14:39   #137

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Best keel post ever!!! wow......
Let's expand that sentiment a bit, Neil: Best keel repair ever!

Jim
Old 11-05-2016, 16:09   #138

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Are you going to continue on now and rebuild the entire rest of the boat to be as strong and pretty as the keel?😉 Seriously, an altogether awesome job!

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 16:45   #139

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42

Hell man I have to get out sailing. Refit under way in think they call it. Need that boat in the water. Pronto!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1463010270065.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	124171   Click image for larger version

Name:	1463010287181.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	124172  

Hooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 16:49   #140

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Need that boat in the water. Pronto!
Please don't forget to plug all those big holes in the bottom!!

Shouldn't be too long, now.

JIm
Old 11-05-2016, 17:22   #141

Boat: Bristol 41.1

In the past, we owned a Wauquiez, a 1986 Centurion 40, Scheel keel, no teak decks. Always thought it was a wonderful boat, great sailing, easily single-handed, beautiful (people asked if it was a Swan). The only boat that my wife cried over when we had to sell.

With a couple of minor exceptions, I always thought it was a well-built boat, built when Wauquiez was at the height of their game.

Now I am not so sure

Hooked - How are you dealing with all this, both left brain and right brain? This must have been an emotional experience.

This also clearly illustrates what a difference an experienced craftsman can make, as opposed to a skilled DIYer.

Best of luck with your project. It looks outstanding!
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 20:13   #142

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

Hooked (my buddy)said it was ok to issue this teaser . . .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_0.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	124230   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_0-1.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	124231  

CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 01:48   #143

Keel sump repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
In the past, we owned a Wauquiez, a 1986 Centurion 40, Scheel keel, no teak decks. Always thought it was a wonderful boat, great sailing, easily single-handed, beautiful (people asked if it was a Swan). The only boat that my wife cried over when we had to sell.

With a couple of minor exceptions, I always thought it was a well-built boat, built when Wauquiez was at the height of their game.

Now I am not so sure

Hooked - How are you dealing with all this, both left brain and right brain? This must have been an emotional experience.

This also clearly illustrates what a difference an experienced craftsman can make, as opposed to a skilled DIYer.

Best of luck with your project. It looks outstanding!

I look at it this way. The boat was strong and well built enough to sail thousands of miles with the keel sump in that shape. Some of it was luck but some don't believe in luck. She is a production boat and has the good and bad that goes with that. I imagine that most production boats could not withstand the type of grounding that this one went through. The repair that they did way back when was totally ineffectual and did nothing to strengthen the boat.
I'd be lying if I said I am having fun doing this. I am screwed by this boat. I can't sell it like it was, insurance won't cover it, no one to sue (if I was that type and I ain't), and it is a ton of money. I had to break open a retirement investment to fund this. Not cool. That all being said, since I HAVE to fix her, we will fix her right.
Minaret has been my rock through this and had made it a much better experience than if I was having a boatyard do this. I'd be out many many thousands more and they would not have even come close to the quality that I am getting. He and his helper have busted their asses on this job and have maintained an attitude that can only be described as joyous. They love what they do. It is infectious.
So I have moments of enjoying this experience and others of just shaking my head at the cash heading out the door. As we get closer to splashing the boat, I am starting to lighten up. But for awhile there, it was just grinding and grinding and grinding. So many man hours wasted, absolutely freaking wasted on fixing what should have been done right when the damn boat was built. I can touch on the white hot rage within me just thinking about it. So damn stupid to put that brown gelcoat over EVERYTHING!!!!! Makes me want to scream.
This touches on another point. I get super defensive when people talk bad about my boat. I don't think I'm alone on this. Want to get a spark going, make fun of someone's boat. My boat is like my kid or something. I'll defend her. Even after all this, I still will defend my boat. I think Wauquiez made a good product. Are they comparable to Swans? Island Packets? HRs? Hell, I don't know. Maybe. All boats have their issues.
The one thing that I keep going back to in my head is that I had my family on this boat with the keel like that while we sailed Mexico. We rounded Point Conception in a gale with the keel like this. My wife and three kids did over 8,000 miles onboard with the keel like this. The nightmare that I had after the damage was discovered still rattles around in my mind. I can feel the water on my body and the fear in my soul as I swim to the keel-less upturned boat, desperate to get my family out of the cabin, knowing that I can't...

Well enough of left brain.
Keel went on yesterday. Easy peasy. I don't think Minaret took any photos as he was running around getting stuff done. So I'll post what I have.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-05-2016, 02:18   #144

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1463130053.110678.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	124235
The main man minaret drilling out the aft two keel bolt holes. We had to do this with the boat in the slings and raised way up as the drill bit would fit with the keel in the way.

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1463130150.311492.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	124239
The keel just before we slathered on the slikaflex 291.

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1463130214.648488.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	124240
The squeeze out of the 291 after dropping the boat on the keel.

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1463130274.695165.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	124241

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1463130293.228319.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	124242
Forward most sump.

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1463130333.879045.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	124243

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1463130349.805614.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	124244

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1463130389.654799.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	124245

http://youtu.be/OvyclN6wXlM
The video of the drop. You can hear minaret in the beginning of the video. Canal Boatyard did a great job getting the boat back on the keel. Talented folks operating the lift.
Once the keel was on, we tightened the keel bolts. When they were tight, we measured the keel to make sure it was hanging straight. This was a cool aspect that I never thought about. Boat on keel, nuts tightened on bolts. Caulking squeezes out of the gap. Then after measuring it was found that the keel was off center about one inch to starboard. After adjusting the boat stands to correct that, more caulking came out of the joint on the port side. I didn't think that would happen. I thought the weight of the boat would correct all that. I'm not explaining it very well. Maybe minaret can shed some light on that.

Minaret. What an incredible day. So much progress. Thanks for kicking ass today!

Old 13-05-2016, 02:40   #145

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

You have to think that boat looked after you and your family, she hung onto that keel for grim death... Now its your turn. Fantastic job, thanks for the sharing all the photo's

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-05-2016, 07:17   #146

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Are you guys planing in topcoat the bilge sump with something or just leave it like that?
Fantastic job!!!!!
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 07:33   #147

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
Minaret has been my rock through this and had made it a much better experience than if I was having a boatyard do this. I'd be out many many thousands more and they would not have even come close to the quality that I am getting. He and his helper have busted their asses on this job and have maintained an attitude that can only be described as joyous. They love what they do. It is infectious.

You are indeed fortunate. Plus your sweat equity counts too!

This touches on another point. I get super defensive when people talk bad about my boat. I don't think I'm alone on this. Want to get a spark going, make fun of someone's boat. My boat is like my kid or something. I'll defend her. Even after all this, I still will defend my boat. I think Wauquiez made a good product. Are they comparable to Swans? Island Packets? HRs? Hell, I don't know. Maybe. All boats have their issues.

Didn't intend to go there. Wife, kids and boat are off limits to criticism. My point was that as knowledgeable as we might think we are about boats (our own in particular), the things that remain hidden from view are extensive. We really depend on the integrity of the builder - sort of a faith-based relationship - to keep us, and our crew, safe. Maybe my Wauquiez was prior to Bruno!?

The one thing that I keep going back to in my head is that I had my family on this boat with the keel like that while we sailed Mexico. We rounded Point Conception in a gale with the keel like this. My wife and three kids did over 8,000 miles onboard with the keel like this. The nightmare that I had after the damage was discovered still rattles around in my mind. I can feel the water on my body and the fear in my soul as I swim to the keel-less upturned boat, desperate to get my family out of the cabin, knowing that I can't...

Agreed. On board my C40 (back in 1995/1996) was my wife, 12 year old daughter, and 18 month old toddler when we left the Chesapeake for the Bahamas for a year cruising. The comfort and safety, especially of the kids, was always an issue that was my highest priority. I never lost confidence in my Wauquiez, which allowed me to concentrate on becoming a better sailor/skipper/dad.

Well enough of left brain.
Keel went on yesterday. Easy peasy. I don't think Minaret took any photos as he was running around getting stuff done. So I'll post what I have.

Congrats!
Looking forward to some sailing pics!
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 09:05   #148

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Great job Min! Glad to see you use epoxy for something as critical as this.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 10:54   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
Looking forward to some sailing pics!
No offense or criticism taken. I just find it funny how we think about our boats. I was pretty wiped writing that so maybe it came out wrong.
Thanks for writing and making me think about this in a different way.

Old 13-05-2016, 10:55   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Are you guys planing in topcoat the bilge sump with something or just leave it like that?
Fantastic job!!!!!
Brown gel coat. 😂😂
I don't think I'm going to cover it with anything. Still pondering though. It is so pretty, I'd like to keep natural so I can see it.

Tags
keel