Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 11:56   #1

Keel Shoe on Monohull?

I have seen it done on multi since they often beach but not on monohulls.

My 43" ferro is being repaired after serious grounding from the previous owner. He had intended to fit a custom s/s keel shoe, which I have, to prevent it from happening again.

The guy that is doing the work suggests to simply repair the damage with epoxy and not put the shoe.

Any advise?
nsabardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 21:17   #2

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Keel shoe on monohull?

I've considered welding on a "grounding shoe" on my steel boat, but I would be a little concerned about dissimilar metals and turbulence.

I don't think it's a bad idea, but I would run it past an engineer regardless, because the matter of affixing such a chunk of metal to a concrete keel would take some thought in order not to create a new problem in an attempt to fix an old one.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 20:28   #3

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Keel Shoe on Monohull?

The best advice would be to avoid hitting things with the boat. Unless you can glue the SS shoe onto the repaired hull, attaching it will likely call for bolts or some other mechanical fasteners going through the hull. Making holes in the hull is what you are trying to avoid. If the shoe does bump into something, it could cause the fastenings to work, pull out, or crack the surrounding concrete - creating even worse problems than the bump in the first place. If the screws get pulled out because a shoe gets bumped on a wooden-keeled boat, there's still solid wood all around the screw hole; water won't get inside the hull. If the shoe is glued with no mechanical fastenings, there's a possibility that it could simply fall off, and you'd never know. If the solution was easy, everyone would do it. Good luck weighing all the options.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 21:23   #4

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

5 Gals of 5200 should do the job !! just a thought
Old 15-09-2012, 02:15   #5

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

ACTUALLY, its a damn good question, how do you protect the lowest most point of an FC boat.
I helped build a few Sampson designs in the 60s, but was not involved enough to see the bottom treatment.
On a glass, or wooden boat, with external ballast, the lead is usually cast to project a little lower than the deadwood area, and the shoe is fitted as an extension of that lowest line.
Hmmmm!!!
Old 15-09-2012, 03:45   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsabardin View Post
I have seen it done on multi since they often beach but not on monohulls.

My 43" ferro is being repaired after serious grounding from the previous owner. He had intended to fit a custom s/s keel shoe, which I have, to prevent it from happening again.

The guy that is doing the work suggests to simply repair the damage with epoxy and not put the shoe.

Any advise?
Actually quite common on boats over here (mostly tidal moorings - outside the Marinas).

I dunno about fixing stuff to a Ferro hull, but seems to be two basic approaches (for f/g / wood / steel) - additional (sacrificial) fibreglass or a keel band (usually plain steel - but seen wood used). The band does not get screwed / bolted on from the bottom (heads will grind off) - but fixed using (welded on) tabs at the sides, can't find a pic at the moment so:-

...\ /.......\ /.......\ /....

The dots is the keel band .

and the tabs \ / either glassed on or screwed / bolted on (into side of the keel).

Eventually it will grind / rust through......depending on the job and location (use) that could be a 10 year event. or a lot longer.

Some boats do have an actual shoe fitted, but not so common - likely to do with cost!

On smaller boats I have also seen done in plastic and simply glued on, dunno what sort of plastic though .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 04:06   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Just remembered where a couple of photos are........

This was on a catamaran (Cat Fisher) - That was steel on the bottom and glassed on (if you look closely can just see the tabs \ / ).....Monos exactly the same, albeit sometimes only F/g over the actual tabs - that job didn't look like it was going anywhere in a hurry!........sometimes they do fall off ).

This is on a Mono (albeit a twin engined motorboat) - can also just make out the aft tab. That's been on around 15 years (me Father's boat! - the blue rope is holding on the winter cover). tidal mooring - so bumping up and down twice a day.....never hit a rock with it though .

The above keel band must be around 30 years old (me father put it on a wooden mono sail boat). Boat long since been sadly neglected .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel, monohull