Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2013, 03:02   #16

Boat: Beneteau 456
These are not that bad. Why not trying to machine studs that will thread to the existing studs. It is a common repair.
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 06:50   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 35, Corroboree
Re: Keel J bolt replacement in lead keel

Funjohnson--There isn't going to be any cheap way around this--good keel bolts are essential to the safety of the boat, period, especially so if you intend to sell it soon. You'll have to disclose the repair, and so it better be really good. I know the people at Mars Metal and at I. Broomfield, and they will give you the best service. They also both have the advantage of a factory environment where the keel can be treated with the utmost care, tools, and skills.

I don't know anything about the fellow from California, and he may be very good. Keelco was a known keel casting company back in the heyday of California boatbuilding. He may be quite good. Ask him directly for references of jobs that he has done before, and talk to those customers to see how they liked his work.

You should also ask for a direct written quote from Mars Metal and I. Broomfield for complete work--bolt replacement plus the shipping costs to and from. It will be easiest then to make a decision based on hard numbers. If you haven't received a written quote from the fellow in California, include him, too.

One other thought: I. Broomfield may very well have been the original caster of the keel. I suppose there is a chance that they still have the patterns or mold and could cast a new keel for you. If you shipped them your keel, you could get a credit for the lead and put that money towards the price of a new keel of the same shape. They could use your keel bolt pattern to make a precise arrangement for the new keel. It's just an idea that would give you some reference to judge what is the best way to make the fix. If the cost of repairing the keel is close to the cost of a new keel, maybe a new keel is a way to go.

I hope that helps.

Eric
ewsponberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 08:50   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewsponberg View Post
Funjohnson--There isn't going to be any cheap way around this--good keel bolts are essential to the safety of the boat, period, especially so if you intend to sell it soon. You'll have to disclose the repair, and so it better be really good. I know the people at Mars Metal and at I. Broomfield, and they will give you the best service. They also both have the advantage of a factory environment where the keel can be treated with the utmost care, tools, and skills.

I don't know anything about the fellow from California, and he may be very good. Keelco was a known keel casting company back in the heyday of California boatbuilding. He may be quite good. Ask him directly for references of jobs that he has done before, and talk to those customers to see how they liked his work.

You should also ask for a direct written quote from Mars Metal and I. Broomfield for complete work--bolt replacement plus the shipping costs to and from. It will be easiest then to make a decision based on hard numbers. If you haven't received a written quote from the fellow in California, include him, too.

One other thought: I. Broomfield may very well have been the original caster of the keel. I suppose there is a chance that they still have the patterns or mold and could cast a new keel for you. If you shipped them your keel, you could get a credit for the lead and put that money towards the price of a new keel of the same shape. They could use your keel bolt pattern to make a precise arrangement for the new keel. It's just an idea that would give you some reference to judge what is the best way to make the fix. If the cost of repairing the keel is close to the cost of a new keel, maybe a new keel is a way to go.

I hope that helps.

Eric
You could probably lift your whole boat with one keel bolt or stud. There is
Old 19-02-2013, 09:06   #19

Keel bolts and studs are the most overdesigned element in your boat. Read Don Casey's articles. You could probably lift your whole boat with one stud. If you hit a rock it is probable to damage the fiberglass extensively before any stud breaks. There are plenty of options before replacing the whole keel.
Old 19-02-2013, 13:32   #20

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Well, we had the bad ones replaced locally (Oasis Boat Yard). They were able to melt out the old lead, keep a wet edge on the keel and weld back in the new bolts just like how Mars does it. Looks better than ever, and I'm completely convinced we will have no issue with the keel. We also double nutted the studs to act as lock nuts. Expensive repair, but something that we had to do.
Old 15-10-2014, 08:53   #21

Boat: 1968 Columbia 36

Hey there, I am in Jacksonville FL, and just starting to go through what you have with your J bolts. Could you give me an idea of what Oasis Boat Yard charged. I have also sent off to Mars to get a price quote. My bolts on my Columbia is 3 times worse then what I saw on your pics. Thanks
CrazyColumbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 09:40   #22

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Oasis was about $600 a bolt (I paid by the hour), but being right in Florida, I didn't have to pay travel expenses and it worked out to less overall. He did a great job, and there have been no issues since replacement....except a lighter wallet.

Matt
Old 17-10-2014, 12:28   #23
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

The guy from Cali is good, but save yourself some dough and sister those bolts instead. No big deal on a boat that size. Plenty of previous threads on this.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 21:40   #24

I know this is an older thread but was hoping I could ask you about your keel repair.
My name is Allan Lowery and I am having same keel bolt corrosion problem you had in a lead keel on a Tartan 38, 1978 model.
I happen to live in California, the state which you mentioned that you had found someone that could do a repair like this for you.
Please reply----- 1958allanlowery @gmail.com or 805-710-4404
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Allanlowery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 04:11   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Allan.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel