Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2013, 03:30   #16

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.
Re: Keel cooling set up

I like the idea of bolting on your cooling pipes, that way if they prove inadequate you can just add more Surface area, All tubular heat exchanges should be firm one end free to allow thermal expansion use clamps, not necessary if using the box. I've only seen heat exchangers with thermostatic Y diverters, maybe you can get away with the Engine Thermostat as its only doing one circuit. You will need an expansion tk, any engine air vents must also go to expansion Tk, make sure you have a several thermometers fitted, if nothing else it will assist with commissioning. Or get a temp gun. Hellosailers idea is OK too, just turn part of the keel into a tank, less welding not more, no swirlbar if your worried about efficiency make your heat exchanger longer, tube thickness thinner. How will you solve the noise issue with a dry exhaust and the heat problem, I wonder.

Oceanrider
Once I thought I was a Marine Engineer.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 03:39   #17

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanride007 View Post
I like the idea of bolting on your cooling pipes, that way if they prove inadequate you can just add more Surface area, All tubular heat exchanges should be firm one end free to allow thermal expansion use clamps, not necessary if using the box. I've only seen heat exchangers with thermostatic Y diverters, maybe you can get away with the Engine Thermostat as its only doing one circuit. You will need an expansion tk, any engine air vents must also go to expansion Tk, make sure you have a several thermometers fitted, if nothing else it will assist with commissioning. Or get a temp gun. Hellosailers idea is OK too, just turn part of the keel into a tank, less welding not more, no swirlbar if your worried about efficiency make your heat exchanger longer, tube thickness thinner. How will you solve the noise issue with a dry exhaust and the heat problem, I wonder.

Oceanrider
Once I thought I was a Marine Engineer.
Still need exhaust cooling water but not as much, less crucial and can use smaller separator/muffler so exhaust should be quieter yes?
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 11:10   #18

Boat: Cavalier 37ft

Hi Oceanrider thanks for the input. The planned dry exhaust is to be made of SS exhaust pipe and a SS muffler wrapped in exhaust tape and then covered in Pyrogel (http://www.aerogel.com.au/products-and-services/pyrogel) and in a well ventilated engine room with the exhaust exit on the port side of the hull around 30 cm from the waterline. A Friends boat has a similar setup but wrapped in Fibreglass insulation and has no issues with sound or heat (he can actually touch the exhaust covering while engine is running without heat issues).

Stillbuilding at this stage I will not be introducing sea water into the exhaust at all, too many flow on issues with it, as I see it.
cal_d_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 11:19   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I may be misrecalling but isn't there a problem with stainless steel and the sulfur content in diesel fuel, and persumably the exhaust? Maybe with modern low-sulfur fuels less so, but have you checked that out?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 11:29   #20

Boat: Cavalier 37ft

Hi Hellosailor, I was going to use normal exhaust pipe but on the recomendation of the local Exhaust Guy who fits trucks he sugested SS (for corrosion resistance etc). But I will check it out :-) Cheers.

Cal
cal_d_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 11:59   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I may be misrecalling but isn't there a problem with stainless steel and the sulfur content in diesel fuel, and persumably the exhaust? Maybe with modern low-sulfur fuels less so, but have you checked that out?
It's done quite commonly. Life of the muffler...? I'm not sure. for the cost and trouble I'd be tempted to belt another pump and make it wet exhaust all the way.
Looks like a nice cooler setup, many of the old fishing boats up here just used a long pipe with two elbows to enter exit the hull....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:20   #22

Sorry to awake a old thread
How did this go ?
If i read right ur using 22 ft of pipe ? On a 50 hp
Im instaling a ford xld 418 (50hp) and have been told 5hp per foot
So making 10 ft of 1" pipe
Im going to double that so 20ft and will go bigger on pipe aswell thinking 2" or 22mm

Whats ur view on copper or painted copper
For the pipes and use essex flanges for thru hulls
Im in the uk and will be traveling in sea till i get to a canal
Any opinions gratefully received
Canveysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:47   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Canveysteve.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:49   #24

Cheers gordmay
Canveysteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, keel