Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2011, 17:55   #1

Keel Bolts - Quick Fix ?

hello I want to sail a boat from UK to Montreal next june...I had it survayed and the only posible problem maight be the keel bolts...the survayor said that they ar sanwiched between glass and foam...the may have rusted put hes not sure without taking them off.

my idea is to go and do this refit on the spot...id take them out one at a time, then drill a 4in hole 2in deep and fill up with epoxy, then drill a hole for the bolt and be done with it.

heres a photo

your opinion pleas
rgds
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinghy 003.jpg
Views:	907
Size:	425.0 KB
ID:	22912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Harrier yacht 077.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	430.6 KB
ID:	22913  

otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 18:36   #2

Boat: Tartan 30
I don't think I understand how it's constructed.

Is the Hull is foam cored below the waterline including the keel joint? how did the surveyor determine that without removing a bolt (or did he?)?

The photo looks like they are not thru-bolts, they just go through the hull and the threads hold the keel on... is that correct?
Old 18-01-2011, 18:51   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
it looks as if your keel is encapsulated??
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 18:55   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
I don't think I understand how it's constructed.

Is the Hull is foam cored below the waterline including the keel joint? how did the surveyor determine that without removing a bolt (or did he?)?

The photo looks like they are not thru-bolts, they just go through the hull and the threads hold the keel on... is that correct?
yes the hold the keel...the keel is solid steel and the hull is solid glass...only where the bolts are thers some foam...on photo they look like glassed floors.
Old 18-01-2011, 19:15   #5

I'm no expert, but I don't think the keel is held on by the threads alone...

Either Zee is correct and it's an encapsulated keel, and the bolts are just reinforcement. Or, it is bolted through to the keel (instead of the keel being bolted through the hull).

Either way, simply tapping new bolts into epoxy isn't really going to help anything.. I wouldn't even consider it a quick fix. But like i said, I'm no expert...

can you find any sign of a keel-to-hull joint?

What kind of boat is it (looks like a dufour)?
Old 18-01-2011, 19:21   #6

I think the correct 'quick fix', is to drill large holes, and bed the bolts into the keel (so they're sticking up out of the actual keel) then, bolt the keel onto the hull with a backing plate or large washers. Basically the exact opposite of tapping a bolt into the keel.

And this should be done after dropping the keel.

But! I'm thinking your keel is attached backwards... the bolts go DOWN into the keel, then a hole is drilled on the sides of the keel, a nut placed on the bolt, then the holes filled... weird... somebody please tell me I'm wrong.
Old 18-01-2011, 20:01   #7

Quote:
I think the correct 'quick fix', is to drill large holes, and bed the bolts into the keel (so they're sticking up out of the actual keel) then, bolt the keel onto the hull with a backing plate or large washers. Basically the exact opposite of tapping a bolt into the keel.

And this should be done after dropping the keel.

But! I'm thinking your keel is attached backwards... the bolts go DOWN into the keel, then a hole is drilled on the sides of the keel, a nut placed on the bolt, then the holes filled... weird... somebody please tell me I'm wrong.
hahaha its only an illusion...what you see are the nuts not the bolts!!!
I assure you the keel is not attached backwards.
Old 18-01-2011, 20:04   #8

can you find any sign of a keel-to-hull joint?

no its been well finished, I dont know the english word? ferred I think?

What kind of boat is it (looks like a dufour)?

Thompson T27
Old 18-01-2011, 20:10   #9

Well it sure looks like bolt heads in the picture

But since it's not.. I still don't think tapping into epoxy is a good solution even for a temporary fix.

I'll refrain from giving any more advice on how to do it, but I would suggest looking into dropping the keel and properly rebedding/welding new bolts into it.
Old 18-01-2011, 20:24   #10

Quote:
Well it sure looks like bolt heads in the picture

But since it's not.. I still don't think tapping into epoxy is a good solution even for a temporary fix.

I'll refrain from giving any more advice on how to do it, but I would suggest looking into dropping the keel and properly rebedding/welding new bolts into it.
drilling 2in deep is to see first hand the bolts condition...if good epoxy refill is way stronger then the orriginal foam...if the bolts is damaged I will drill a new bolt hole and instal a new bolt beside the old...the idea is that not all bolts needs replacement and a new bolt a few inches will be satisfactory...in anycase a 4in wide by 2in deep solid epoxy puck is more then enough to hold a keel...also I cauld add metal flors across the bilge and bolts thru them...this is how my H28 is built...but then my H28 has 3in solid glass and no foam.
Old 18-01-2011, 20:30   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Jobi, if you told us what an "H-28" was supposed to be someone might be able to determine what the keel construction is, and then the correct way to repair it, assuming it needs repairs.

If the builder is still in existence they would be the first ones to ask about this. Making uninformed guesses or assumptions about structural parts of boats is generally a risky thing.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 20:56   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Jobi, if you told us what an "H-28" was supposed to be someone might be able to determine what the keel construction is, and then the correct way to repair it, assuming it needs repairs.

If the builder is still in existence they would be the first ones to ask about this. Making uninformed guesses or assumptions about structural parts of boats is generally a risky thing.
my opologies, H28 is my sailboat I was making reference to the similarities with the keel on the T27 I want to buy...both have a steel keel mounted (exept for foam) the same way.
Old 18-01-2011, 21:24   #13

Boat: N/M 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
...both have a steel keel mounted (exept for foam) the same way.
Then how is the keel on the H-28 mounted/attached to the hull?

How do you know the Thompson 27 has the keel mounted using the same construction technique as the H-28?

- rob
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 21:39   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle View Post
Then how is the keel on the H-28 mounted/attached to the hull?
its attached with bolts that pass thru metal floors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle View Post
How do you know the Thompson 27 has the keel mounted using the same construction technique as the H-28?
its not the same...I said similar!
seems to me that thompson used dlass encapsulated foam floors to suport the keel...the boat is 40 years old and still solid...his design is good...but im looking for a quick fix...dont have the means to do major refit overseas...just need the boat to cross the pond.
Old 18-01-2011, 21:40   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
cast iron keel,will be holes drilled and tapped into the top of the casting.
bolts will be custom made bar threaded either end
to do it properly you will need to seperate keel,though probaly still okay,no way you will un do a bolt with out destrying the thread.

best/cheapest option is drill new holes and tap in keel,but need a very slow big drill,compressed air to clean holes,then tap.
new plates and 3/4 bar threaded.

did this on a wooden boat a few months ago,but heavy going
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel bolts