Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2018, 22:36   #16

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch
Re: Keel Bolts question..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
You should not be using stainless for this application hot dipped galvanized steel is closer electrically to the iron than the SS.
Agree, and galvanized is less prone to sudden failure. I can not see any rust stains on the outside of the keel hull joint, which is a good sign. Looks tidy.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:43   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Keel Bolts question..

Agreed.. the keel bolts are my only real concern.. however despite several emails to the yard at Burnham on Crouch Marina I've not yet received a acknowledgement of my emails.. let alone a reply as to whether they can do, or will consider the job.. but I guess when you have a captive customer base ignoring outsiders is par for the course.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:21   #18

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Phil, its not a big thing. When you are in the UK for the transfer of the yacht you have the possibility to change the backing plates your self or find some one to do it for you, its not a big job. Change the stainless ones for mild steel, if needed also change the bolts. Forget the galvanizing, spray them with for example Rust-Oleum Galva-Zinc. And on your way with this plastic banana...

PS. For me this was not a deal breaker, the keel on the outside doesn't give a reason for big worries.
Tricolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:31   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Never pulled keel bolts before.. standard quality multi socket set be good enough..??

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:05   #20

They may be easy to pull, or they may be tough. Hard to say. And be prepared for stud bolts, these have also been used by some yards. You need a torque wrench for reinstalling. Should not be too complicated.

But basically I would not worry too much. No rust on the outside of the keel is a good sign, and also, keel bolt failures are VERY rare.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:06   #21

Seeing the keel i will expect that actually you will find backing plates and nuts, again with no knowledge of boat nor type, just the pics, i think approx 3/4" diameter. I you supply me more info i can give you a better answer and the torque needed. If you want this info disclosed for the time being you can PM me.

But again, no rust or smile on the outside and replaced backing plates give me already a good feeling.

MartinR was faster..
Old 08-03-2018, 10:28   #22

Boat: 41' yawl
Keel Bolts question..

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Never pulled keel bolts before.. standard quality multi socket set be good enough..??

Depends on what they are! Does that iron keel have a flange around where it mates with the hull? The iron keel I have personal experience with did, and by clearing the paint and fairing from the underside of the flange the slotted heads of my bolts were revealed. I think I held the flats of a crowbar in the heads while a buddy up in the bilge removed the nuts. Some were frozen enough in place that the nuts could be removed with no purchase on the bolt, then the bolt was just knocked down and out.

You'll want a torque wrench for replacing them.

If they are studs (threaded into the keel, no bolt head) how do you remove them if they don't come along for the ride when removing the nut? On smaller and less rusty things I've had luck getting two check nuts tight against each other then getting a purchase on both to get them and the stud turning all together, don't know if that would work here.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:39   #23

Two nuts normally work. If not, you can either buy a special socket for this, or just use a pipe wrench if there is enough space,
Old 08-03-2018, 11:08   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
They may be easy to pull, or they may be tough. Hard to say. And be prepared for stud bolts, these have also been used by some yards. You need a torque wrench for reinstalling. Should not be too complicated.

But basically I would not worry too much. No rust on the outside of the keel is a good sign, and also, keel bolt failures are VERY rare.
Having had a keel fail on a bilge keeler as she was being lifted (my first boat) I've always been a bit twitchy about them.. 48hrs earlier and I would have been halfway across on a return from France..
I'd hate to be the exception to the 'Lightning' rule..

Old 08-03-2018, 11:22   #25

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
In an iron keel, the bolts should be large galvanized cap screws. You should be able to unthread them for inspection one at a time. Replacement is easy. Beneteaus do this, they sell replacment bolt kits just for this. You should not be using stainless for this application hot dipped galvanized steel is closer electrically to the iron than the SS.
This.

Just plan on replacing the bolts and backing plates, yourself. Avoid stainless. When you are on the boat you will see what specific tools you will need to replace the bolts, one at a time.

I've done this job on a Beneteau First 435, Big Bolts supplied by Beneteau. Hardest part was removing built-in furniture to allow access. You'll likely need a very large (3/4"?) breaker bar with handle extender and 6-point socket to match, possibly a socket extension. Also some anti-seize compound.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:38   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Having had a keel fail on a bilge keeler as she was being lifted (my first boat) I've always been a bit twitchy about them.. 48hrs earlier and I would have been halfway across on a return from France..
I'd hate to be the exception to the 'Lightning' rule..
Never leave your keel halfway
Old 09-03-2018, 04:12   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks to a link sent to me by Tricolor.. Cheers mate.. I have made contact with Mike Lucas in the UK who it seems is a font of knowledge on all things Sadler..
Its seems they used Stainless Steel studs for the keels so my concerns about the effect of Stainless plates is unfounded.. he's asked me to call him later and he'll explain the Sadler set up to me in more detail.. likely tell me no sweat or.. otherwise.. will let you know more later.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:19   #28

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Interesting, Boatie. We met David Sadler one time in 1990. If the boat you're buying was built prior to that, it will be better. He told us that under his son's management, the business he'd spent his whole life building, went into receivership in the first year. Sad story.

Ann
Old 09-03-2018, 12:31   #29

first step made..
Old 09-03-2018, 12:37   #30
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yup.. he went to big to fast.. remember a TV series he lent/hired his project the 45ft Barracuda to with I believe the hope it would boost sales.. like you say.. a sad story, they built great boats till the mid 80's or so.

Tags
keel, keel bolts