Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 03:18   #1

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
Jabsco Joker Valve

The Joker Valve on my Jabsco head last about 5 weeks if I'm lucky. The hose to the tank is clear and I'm using fresh water from my tanks when I "flush". I pump the handle at least 5 times of liquid waste and 10 minimum for solid waste and still they fail allowing the black water back into the toilet.
Any suggestions(other than installing a Raritan head) would be appreciated. My Raritan has been using the same Joker Valve for four years non stop. What's with Jabsco's valves? I'm getting tired of subsidizing the company by buying the things 6 at a time.
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:34   #2

Boat: C&C Landfall 35 HiHo
Re: Jabsco Joker Valve

I had the same problem, finally replaced with a new style Twist 'n' Lock valve assembly. Problem solved!
Hi Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:39   #3

I think that model uses the same "joker valve".
Old 04-06-2014, 03:43   #4

Boat: C&C Landfall 35 HiHo

You are correct they use the same choker valves. The Twist 'n' Lock holds the foot valve closed so it can't back up into the bowl!
Hi Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:46   #5

How long is the evacuation hose??
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:11   #6
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

check to be sure the tank vent isn't blocked
Old 04-06-2014, 05:12   #7

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Practical Sailor compared joker valves, and Jabsco's got some of the highest ratings.

The one that was on our boat when we got it lasted for about 8 years, that we know of. Different model from yours, though (freshwater, but electric).

-Chris
Old 04-06-2014, 07:44   #8

The vent is fine. I can smell it from time to time when outside. As to the hose, it's about 1O feet long to get to the tank. No way to make it any shorter. I make sure to pump the heck out of it even if it wastes fresh water. When I take the old valves out, they are not closed at the juncture of the three triangles on the end of the valve. there is always a slight bit of light showing through the places where there shouldn't be any. I put in a new one checking to make sure it is closes and yet it still starts to back wash a few weeks later. At over $15 a piece out here{if you can find the}, I lay in a bunch when I can. Tomorrow, I'll be taking it apart again and putting in another one. I do save the old ones after cleaning thoroughly and then covering with a bit of glycerin to keep them soft. If I begin to run low, I'll pull out one of the old ones and after checking it, install it and see if it works any better the second time. Still, the new ones only last maybe 5 to 6 weeks. At least my nose no longer complains about the smell.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:32   #9

Boat: Beneteau 423

We replaced the the pump with the locking variety. That was about the same price as a rebuild kit and easier to install. That was early last summer. Still waiting for the results but so far so good. Sadly, the skipper and crew usually forget to lock the handle into place so we may not be getting the full benefit.

Regarding the Practical Sailor article, their results seem completely opposite of the results reported in the other threads on this subject. Those all point to the Raritan. Many also suggest replacing the Jabsco joker with the Raritan Joker. I haven't tried it yet. If you keep searching on CF and you'll probably find some comments similar to that.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:46   #10

Hmmm... seems weird. I've had 7 of the cheap jabsco's over the years. Only ever had to rebuild one... and that wasn't the fault of the joker. Not saying I love them but that's been my experience.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:00   #11

Boat: 1984 Hunter 36ft sloop

I am having the same issue with my backflow into the toilet. I watched some videos on how to change it out, and I will attempt this or next eve. I will take photos and post on here. Not that I will have anything good to "teach" as it'll be my first time messing with it.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:01   #12

If the evacuation hose is 10 feet then I would be pumping a dozen strokes just to be sure.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:35   #13
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Joker valves. Yes, the Raritan and the Jabsco are interchangable (I've had a Raritan valve in my Jabsco for 9 months). The Jabsco resists urine better and flushes a little easier (bigger opening), but the Raritan valve seems to resist scale a little better and thus generally lasts a little longer. So long as you avoid wads of paper or non-flushables, the Raritan valve will not plug. We're still doing side by side testing, but the opinion seems to be changing (Practical Sailor).

That said, if the joker is lasting only a 5 weeks, one of the problems others have suggested is there. They should last 8-18 months, depending on flushing practices (freshwater and plentiful flushes help, being water stingy is fatal).
Old 04-06-2014, 09:36   #14
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
If the evacuation hose is 10 feet then I would be pumping a dozen strokes just to be sure.
Based upon pump volume, the rule of thumb is about 8" per stroke. So at LEAST 12.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:46   #15

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Practical Sailor compared joker valves, and Jabsco's got some of the highest ratings.

The one that was on our boat when we got it lasted for about 8 years, that we know of. Different model from yours, though (freshwater, but electric).

-Chris

I should have edited myself to say we ought to have replaced our joker valve much earlier... but didn't... so it didn't really "last" at least 8 years, just didn't get changed for that period. Didn't have odor, and didn't even have any backflow until about the last couple weeks, though...

-Chris

Tags
jabsco