Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2018, 23:08   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
It's ALL IN THE DETAILS!

This thread is about technical troubleshooting.

Often it's the little things that get you. Things, not obvious in the manual, or subtle changes youve made to one component, that affects something else down the line....
Perhaps sharing your problem solving triumphs, where a not so obvious detail was discovered, may help others.

I'll start as this discovery happened yesterday!

I connected my 4 x 327W Solar paneld about 2 months ago... Breakers before and after MMPT terminating at 24v House bank.

Solar put out 42 Amps @ 24v but Victron Smart meter was not reading input in Amps.

Ok, realized Shunt was beside negative Bus Bar so shifted Neg Solar cable to Negative Busbar , kept positive at Battery.

Meter now worked but output and reading accuracy between Outback/ and Victron smart meter was not good.

Yesterday I mounted the Victron Shunt down beside the house bank, per diagram and moved Neg Solar Cable back to batteries as I wanted to have Solar charging and Victron smart meter reading even if I made all the other 24v Bus a dead ship via Main Battery Switch.

Meter would not read solar input!?? Only when switch was on and still not accurate!

Finaly realised that my Neg Grounding was at Neg Bus Bar, and my 24v Master Switch was a 4 pole Switch (originally I had 2 separate banks for 2 Pos Lines, now Switched for both Neg and Pos. WHICH I HAD FORGOTTEN ABOUT![emoji20]

So bypassed Neg side (always on) and it still did not read Solar Charge, only Victron Multi load/demand. ?? ?

Back to Manual and found nothing..... then.....Eureka!.... Solar Neg had to also be connected to Victron Shunt LOAD SIDE to read properly.

Now I see within 0.2amps the same Charge Values on Outback (slightly higher due to less line loss) but Smart Meter and my own DC Amp meter now measure exactly same data, going in and out of battery!.

This was probably obvious to many, but for me, a small triumph in the details![emoji4]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 00:05   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: It's ALL IN THE DETAILS!

it is all ways a good idea to create some sort of a wiring diagram before installing a new system,even if only for trouble shooting at a later date or adding to an existing system and wiring.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:35   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: It's ALL IN THE DETAILS!

Hi atoll, totally agree

I have the house bank drawing but did not think about the neg ground issue when I relocated the shunt at the batteries

Since I am new to smart chargers/meters and solar i just followed this drawing, except I used 4 pole disconnect breakers for solar (Sunpower recommendation)

Click image for larger version

Name:	2 solar_to_cc_schematic.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	176694

I even queried on here about the need for a shunt and was told, I will get all the info I need from the outback.....
So "assumed" the readings would all harmonize
A continual learning process!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote