Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2011, 23:11   #1

Boat: Building a Seaclipper 24
Is this Boat Worth Saving ?

The photos in the link are of a 1960 custom built 35' wooden ketch, built in England and circumnavigated twice. Currently lying on the hard in Costa Rica. Minimal systems, a Yanmar engine with 500 hours. The current owner has had her for 4 years. It looks like it's been on the hard for a while. I would like your input on whether you see any structural issues with the boat such as does it appear hogged and do you see any obvious red flags other than the effect of tropical sun. A friend with a lot of experience has looked at her and believes its worth closer inspection. There are good shipwrights available in the area with experience in wooden boats. I am an expert in electrical, and reasonable competent mechanically and with carpentry but inexperienced with sailboats. I like projects and have built my own home in the past. However I will be working in Iraq for the rest of this year so the boat would have to be stored for up to a year before I did major work on it. The current owner is working to put it back in the water at this time (not sure if that is a good idea Any advice would be appreciated...I know this boat has low potential resale value being old, wooden and custom. I would keep the systems simple and use it for local sailing and weekend trips in Costa Rica. I will be living there next year so I will have time to work on it then.
Should I take time to look at it or run away?
Welcome to Windows Live
IceDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 23:28   #2

Boat: Islander 36
You leave out a detail that would help. Price. By the thread title I assumed it was free (lots of boats are "free"). But clearly it does have an asking price.
Old 20-01-2011, 00:00   #3

Project boat

Hi Minggat,
The price is negotiable at this time but perhaps at around $7000-$8000? The broker listing is at
Costa Rica Boats - Boats, Yachts, Sportfishing, Sportfisherman, Sailboats | 34ft Custom Sailing Ketch
Keep in mind that the pool of available boats in Costa Rica is small and the import duties are high. Otherwise I know of some nice boats in Panama and Guatemala that are in much better shape.
Old 20-01-2011, 00:54   #4

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDog View Post
... 1960 custom built 35' wooden ketch,

Yanmar engine with 500 hours.

The current owner has had her for 4 years.

A friend with a lot of experience has looked at her and believes its worth closer inspection. There are good shipwrights available in the area with experience in wooden boats.

I know this boat has low potential resale value being old, wooden and custom.
Here's your free advice from me. Or better, more questions to ask.

500 hrs. How many of those were put on by current owner in those 4 years? I'd sneak in the question to the owner, what did her really like about the boat and (maybe) why selling? (remembering that his financial situation is not your business of course)

Your friend and local shipwrights might be more helpful than anything here.

But you touched on a real point. Resale. I'd say plan for worst case scenario there. You don't want to buy it for its resale value. You want to buy it to enjoy. It's a WANT. Powerful things, those wants.

My take on boats that live in the water.
They can only be JU$TIFIED if they are you home. Even if you don't live on it full time, it can be your home.

My floating home is floating on concrete while someone else is providing another roof over my head at the moment while I'm on assignment. Makes no sense fro me to have a place in the dirt, but it does make sense to have a place to go to.

hope that helps... but I doubt it.
Old 20-01-2011, 02:00   #5

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Just bear in mind that wooden boats don't like to be out of the water for long. If it's been out for a while, it will have dried out and will probably leak when it's put back in. If you do do the deal, ensure that ample bilge pumps and an alarm are fitted and working before you refloat. After a while, the wood should swell and the leaks should stop. The first week or so will need carefull watching until it does.
Old 20-01-2011, 02:25   #6

By the pics in the broker's link, it doesn't look like it needs "saving"; but maybe those pics were taken 4 years ago? I wonder what it's doing on the hard.

Anyway, my view is always that you shouldn't ever buy a boat long distance. You need to crawl over it before you commit to anything.

That is amplified by the fact that it is a carvel vessel of some age. There is a great deal to learn about the care of carvel vessels. They are high maintenance though I imagine you'd enjoy getting those skills.

But you are in Iraq for another year. Leaving carvel out of the water for a year won't do it any good. Putting it in the water while you're over there presents all sorts of other problems. Relying on your mate to help out is not a wise idea.

So my advise FWIW is to forget it; wait till you're back and give yourself a chance to look closely over a range of boats. There will always be plenty for sale - maybe even that one.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 02:48   #7

Who was the Designer? If well known that does give some value.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 02:50   #8

You MUST inspect the frame ends,the keel bolts,the planking fasteners...prior to a purchase or even a commitment to a free boat. The longer she`s on the hard the worse shape she`ll be in...But Hey, I`ve owned a fleet of un-surveyed wooden vessels.
ncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 03:00   #9

Another Question to ask oneself :- "Am I buying a boat or an engine?"
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 05:06   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
hell from the photos id say she is in pretty good nick,we have restored wooden yachts that you can see daylight through.

biggest problem and what you need to look for is rot on the inside,caused by fresh water leaks through the deck.

she is probably iroko on oak frames,built proffesionally,could be a very nice boat,and the price is right,need to use a spike in the bilges and on the frames.
restored she is probably worth about $40-50k in todays market here in the uk.

personally would not buy it unseen
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 05:10   #11

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 42
Well I would fire up a conversation on The WoodenBoat Forum there are a lot of guys on there (like here) who would love to pitch in with who they think was the designer or builder. There is some serious information needed as in the type of lumber used, fastenings etc etc that are incredibly important in wooden boat maintenance or refurbishment.
ChrisClipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 05:23   #12

Boat: Peterson/Formosa 46 "Hoopoe III"
The photos look pretty good and I would tend to agree that the boat looks in fairly good nick, but photos can be deceiving. I would want it for less than asking and I would enter a job like that expecting the worst. it will take an incredible amount of work and I would be surprised in this economy that the boat would be worth 50/60 k in Europe as the boat market has been dismal, everywhere. When buying a boat, in that state, in this economy, go for the jugular and take no prisoners. Never be afraid to walk away because time is on your side. Nothing is selling except big expensive boats as the rich are buying more than ever.
zoombats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 05:49   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
But you are in Iraq for another year......So my advise FWIW is to forget it; wait till you're back and give yourself a chance to look closely over a range of boats. There will always be plenty for sale - maybe even that one.
My thoughts too, save hard, return home with cash and be in a superb position to bargin hard for something really special to make up for the time you had to spent away.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 06:37   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
if you decide not to buy it,can you post the listing,i have wooden boat enthusiast friends who would kill to find somthing at that price and condition as a restoration project,plus costa rica is a great place to hang out.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 08:53   #15

On my way to Costa Rica

Thanks for the feedback. You folks generally agree with my friends opinion after he looked at it for me He felt the work needed was relatively minor for my purposes (no crossings in my plans). He felt it has beautiful lines and even offered to teach me how to sail it if I bought it. He has offered to crawl through it with me when I get to Costa Rica (I am on my way there, having left Iraq this morning for a three week R&R..) My friend has spent a lifetime on the water, much of it in wooden boats though he has gone over to the dark side (multihulls). It will take two days out of my R&R to look at it but I am leaning towards doing that. I think it will be fun to check it out. My poor wife wanted to take a trip but I dont think this was exactly what she had in mind.