Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 12:57   #31

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
If you even have to ask the question you already (secretly) know the answer...
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 18:16   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1977 Cuttyhunk 59 Ketch, "Diva" in Trinidad
Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff S.
Ahoy Ice Dog;

I don't know phooey about woodies, except that they require more maintenance in the Best Case scenario than I feel like devoting. But I do know something about "saving" a "bargain" fixer-upper.

Take a look at my gallery: start at the end and work backwards to see the whole gory story. I'm in Refit Year 9, I've shelled out over $200K to date, and she's still not quite done. With any luck, I may actually float her by the end of 2011, and I hope like hell that I will happily report that she was worth all the money and deferred gratification. I console myself with the hard-won conviction that she's the last boat I'll need to own.

If I could rewind back to March 2002, before I pulled the trigger and signed the agreement, would I do it again? Um...probably not. Having now spent a lot of time in Trinidad, I now know just how many well-made, pedigreed boats are languishing on the hard, their owners too busy, too poor, or too dead to go sailing in them...and available for very few beans. Easily a thousand or more are for sale this very moment in Chaguaramas alone.

You have some advantages I don't have, though: you'd be living with your boat and doing much of the work yourself, instead of directing the work by email and wire transfer as I've been doing—this certainly accounts for a couple of years' process time. But the sage salts on this board who have counseled you to wait and shop around next year speak boocoo truth.

I know where you're at though, Brother: the Sailing Bug, and the delicious salty Karma of a traditional boat have bitten you hard, and you're jonesin'. You'll get there, and you'll get there sooner and cheaper than I did...if you "play the field" for awhile.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Geoff