Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2015, 07:06   #1

Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Is this a good start?

Marine Refridgerators have always been a huge problem on battery supplies. Now I guess the US government and private companies are going to try to solve an age old problem. Do you think this is the or a better idea?

Refrigerator Goes Green (…and we’re not talking produce) | Technologies content from Machine Design
Old 28-04-2015, 07:36   #2

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Is this a good start?

Yep, it's always a good idea when the government gets further involved in our lives and in the operation of private businesses.

Like the low flow toilets that take two flushes to eliminate the poop.

Like limiting the flow of shower heads so a shower takes twice as long and you still don't get the shampoo out of your hair.

Like outlawing the production of incandescent light bulbs.

Like requiring tire pressure sensor systems on cars where the senders fail in seven years and cost $70 X 5 to replace.

There are others but they slip my mind at the moment.
Old 28-04-2015, 08:17   #3

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

I have to admit I understand your frustration. But like the article implies a privately owned company is doing some of the work here so maybe just maybe it will turn out okay if the idea and concept is sound.
Old 28-04-2015, 15:07   #4

Boat: Bristol 35

rwidman- don't forget the florescent lights that are hazardous waste when they break- but we will now have to use them
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 10:56   #5

Boat: Niagara 35

I fail to see the downside of one of the US government's storied national laboratories helping with research and development of technology to make all of our lives better.

That's what they do. They're good at it.

This has nothing to do with a politician mandating something. It's a great example of publicly funded research scientists and a private company partnering to improve our lives.
Old 29-04-2015, 11:20   #6

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
I fail to see the downside of one of the US government's storied national laboratories helping with research and development of technology to make all of our lives better.

That's what they do. They're good at it.

This has nothing to do with a politician mandating something. It's a great example of publicly funded research scientists and a private company partnering to improve our lives.
You "fail to see ........"? That's a pretty pompous way of saying that you disagree with someone.

As for "It's a great example of publicly funded research scientists and a private company partnering to improve our lives", that's a round about way of saying that the government is taking my hard earned tax money and giving it to a private, for profit business.

If the company ends up turning a profit (usually they don't and go bankrupt), will I receive profits on my unwilling investment like I would if I bought stock in a company that did well? I doubt it.

Better for the government to stick to governing and private businesses to prosper or fail on their own merits.
Old 29-04-2015, 12:21   #7

Boat: Bristol 35

While I fully support our National Labs (still kick myself for turning down a job offer there- young and dumb!) anywoo- the issue is using taxpayer money for initiatives that if financially feasible the private sector would take them on without help. And if government would stay out of private business, stop regulating laws (epa), then we might get somewhere. There are many instances of taxpayer money pissed away- A123 systems, Solyndra, Amonix Solar, LSP Energy, Abound Solar, Ecototality, Evergreen Solar are but a few of just the solar companies that failed which we the tax payers gave money to. Now the trail is harder to follow when it happens to be one of the National Labs that is involved but I'm sure if we do some digging we can find plenty.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 14:56   #8

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Yep, it's always a good idea when the government gets further involved in our lives and in the operation of private businesses.

Like the low flow toilets that take two flushes to eliminate the poop.

Like limiting the flow of shower heads so a shower takes twice as long and you still don't get the shampoo out of your hair.

Like outlawing the production of incandescent light bulbs.

Like requiring tire pressure sensor systems on cars where the senders fail in seven years and cost $70 X 5 to replace.

There are others but they slip my mind at the moment.
OK, since this post has quickly gone from a technical question to a political one, let me weigh in. Sound like you are pretty conservative/anti government. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. The light-bulbs will keep millions of tons of nasty stuff from going into the atmosphere, think coal. While I agree on the double-flush thing, new vacuum-assist technology will eventually solve the problem, think California. Low tire pressure indicators, think Exxon. There are others but they slip my mind at the moment.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 15:02   #9

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
You "fail to see ........"? That's a pretty pompous way of saying that you disagree with someone.

Pompous?

Maybe different parts of the world just have different ways of saying things. I don't see anything pompous about that phrase.

I use it all the time in day to day conversation and I honestly don't think anybody who knows me would describe me as pompous. In fact, I like to refer to myself as a country boy. I did grow up in a town called "Cobble Hill," after all.

I won't bother commenting on the rest. It's clear that we don't and won't agree and there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 29-04-2015, 17:02   #10

I remember having an almost identical discussion with a classic car afficianado once. I personally love 4 wheel disc brakes, mcphearson strut suspension, rack and pinion steering, independent rear suspension, multiport fuel injection (or direct injection), etc on newer cars. Do I embrace the hackable computing environment running the show? Not on your life but new cars are much safer than the old heaps were.

My bro had a 64 Ford Galaxy with a 427cid engine rated at 425 hp, dual quads and 4 in the floor. A new Mustang GT would eat its lunch and get twice the gas mileage while doing it.

How does this tie in with boats? How many cruisers are sailing Aldens or equiv that belong in museums? Who uses cloth sails anymore? Tech drives our lives as it always has because inventors are lazy people who always say, "There's gotta be a better way to do this".

Just my $.02

===
trifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 18:05   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by trifan View Post
I remember having an almost identical discussion with a classic car afficianado once. I personally love 4 wheel disc brakes, mcphearson strut suspension, rack and pinion steering, independent rear suspension, multiport fuel injection (or direct injection), etc on newer cars. Do I embrace the hackable computing environment running the show? Not on your life but new cars are much safer than the old heaps were.

My bro had a 64 Ford Galaxy with a 427cid engine rated at 425 hp, dual quads and 4 in the floor. A new Mustang GT would eat its lunch and get twice the gas mileage while doing it.

How does this tie in with boats? How many cruisers are sailing Aldens or equiv that belong in museums? Who uses cloth sails anymore? Tech drives our lives as it always has because inventors are lazy people who always say, "There's gotta be a better way to do this".

Just my $.02

===
OK I will bite what do you sail on and with
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 18:13   #12

Quote:

As for "It's a great example of publicly funded research scientists and a private company partnering to improve our lives", that's a round about way of saying that the government is taking my hard earned tax money and giving it to a private, for profit business.
Ah, yes, the good old days of Cheney and Haliburton.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 18:17   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Will research more but in the article it sounds similar to the "salt shaker" swing compressor that engel uses
Old 29-04-2015, 18:45   #14

Trimaran, of course... It's an old technology but finished in fiberglass (an engineered product) over ply, LED lights, radar, chartplotter, GPS, painted with epoxy (another engineered product), polyurethane, etc ad nauseum (don't forget those magic sails and the beautiful but engineered faux teak) and where would we be without weather sats, etc. Sheesh... roller furlers. electric capstans and microwave ovens, solar panels and inverters. Anyone wishing to go back to the 19th century is welcome to do so but I won't be making the trek with them, at least not voluntarily.
trifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 18:51   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK just wondered and kinda expected it to be carbon fiber hull trio's are fun had n old tritatum homebuilt 29 about 20 years ago