Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2019, 06:49   #1

Boat: Columbia 10.7
Is there really a difference between marine and regular polyurethane?

Many “marine” polyurethanes are pretty expensive. Is there really a difference between marine polyurethanes paints and regular brands? Is the difference worth the premium price?
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 08:42   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Is there really a difference between marine and regular polyurethane?

Practical Sailor did a review of varnishes recently. A minwax product did as well as many marine finishes. Be sure it is for outdoor use, as indoor varnishes don't have the UV protection needed.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 08:58   #3

Boat: center console

I walked into the storefront of a paint manufacturer in Watervliet, NY (Passano)
asking about "boat paint". I was told my boat wouldn't know the difference!

I wound up buying Imron Industrial from them, at about 1/2 the cost of similar 2-part LP's. It rolled & tipped on my Mainship just fine.
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 09:13   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
Many “marine” polyurethanes are pretty expensive. Is there really a difference between marine polyurethanes paints and regular brands? Is the difference worth the premium price?
Yeah, the word "marine" and about a 100% mark up.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 22:24   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

A BigJim,

When it was time to paint our boat, we asked the yard boss of the place where the work was done, and he told us that he could sell us Marine or Automotive LPU for our topsides. We went with the Automotive, huge choice of whites (some 600 different shades), have to survive dust storms and sun, wind, and rain. We've been quite pleased with it.

I would say, if you have a fiberglass boat with gelcoat, do everything possible to renew the gelcoat [check out TSRW or PolyGlo] before you consider painting. Painting needs to be re-done every 20 yrs. or so to stay looking tippy top. Good boat painters are not cheap. Pain is also fragile, prone to chipping, scratching, and if you do dark over light, all those little gouges will show through like stars in the desert night sky.

Ann
Old 17-07-2019, 09:29   #6

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yeah, the word "marine" and about a 100% mark up.

Then if you add Aviation to it take it up another 200% over that.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 09:48   #7

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch

I thought the price order was Normal < Leisure < Marine < Medical < Aviation < Military
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 13:23   #8
Marine Service Provider

I use ordinary "Rust-Oleum," not their marine version, for interior areas like previously gel-coated headliner, cabin soles and sidewalls. Floes own easier and drys faster. Roll and tipping it holds up well (for years so far). I've even used it for small touch-up areas externally and it holds up as well as "professionally" (if there is such a thing) sprayed Awlgrip.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 14:17   #9

Boat: Seafarer36c

There is quite a bit of difference between cheaper paint and more expensive paint. You will notice the better paints use less catalyst. The more solids you have in a paint the smother and durable the finish. Many industrial poly paints are 2:1, a good paint might be 4:1. Then there is the apples and orange thing. Very few cars use polyurethane paint. They almost all use acrylic urethane. It is not nearly as good as polyurethane, but it does shine for a while.
If you went to an airliner paint facility you would see them using all kinds of paint brands. What they all have in common it the high solids content. The only way for the regular person to tell is by how little catalyst is needed.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 14:24   #10

Boat: Edlin 19mt Cruising Ketch.

I used PPG polyurethane auto paint on our interior. On pilot house coamings I sprayed undercoat, 1hr later sprayed poly top coat and looks really good. On interior bulkheads etc I used a epoxy high build (international 256) appyed with a goop loop roller, as used for Kiwi Grip deck paint, which gave a textured surface and then applied poly over that. Easy Pessy, not so much sanding and covers most small blemishes. In the heads I used same high build u/c but rolled on international Reaction Lacquer with a nook and cranny roller, looks like it's been sprayed. This is a very tough finish, and after 7yrs of living aboard, sill looks like new. G.
Bellissima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 15:44   #11

Boat: Fusion 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmika View Post
Then if you add Aviation to it take it up another 200% over that.
I thought aviation was expensive then I bought a boat.
jacktheflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 22:26   #12

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

Dupont was the first to develop linear polyurethane paints (Imron) and dominated the aviation market with it. Awlgrip, produced by a small company, went after the yacht market. In Hawaii, I've painted hundreds of gallons of Linear Polyurethane on the big charter boats. Mostly Imron, but some requested awlgrip. Both look and last a very long time, but awlgrip has had issues of dissolving the primers and fillers used to prep. Imron can and is best painted without primer, over the old gelcoat, epoxy, laquer putty, etc. It bonds extremely well to almost anything. If I'm stripping a planked boat to fair the topsides, I'll use 3 thick coats of epoxy resin as the primer, sand and paint. On existing paints, I use it as it's own primer as it dries harder than primer, sands well within a day, and the gloss shows the imperfections you want to fix. Not to mention wider distribution, more color selection, cheaper, etc.
It used to have a brushable activator available but not recently. Obviously Imron is my favorite, but automotive urethanes are also impressive, but at least as expensive. The clearcoats on autos hold up to 15 years in the sun! Thats worth putting on your teak. Again, right over your varnish! Although for table tops expecting hard wear, I apply 2-3 coats of epoxy resin on the wood first, sand and paint with LP. Mirror finish, hard as glass.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 02:40   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bellissima.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 09:58   #14

The cockpit of my 27 foot Cal was extremely oxidized. I tried buffing it out but it was still dull afterward. I decided to sand and paint and the results are amazing so far.

Here's what the boat looked like before painting the cockpit

Here's was she looks like now:

Old 22-07-2019, 10:03   #15

I used Interlux Brightside Semi-gloss white. Interdeck deck nonskid and Interlux beige.

I had to lay down some new fiberglass on the cockpit sole and bridge deck. Everything looks like new now.

Tags
enc, marine, polyurethane