Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2016, 11:24   #16
Registered User
 
S/V Alchemy's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto
Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Posts: 4,574
Re: Is there any way to recycle old rigging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I've found ranchers with fencing for horses or cattle are very fond of my old rigging. It's prized for tensioning fencing and diagonal bracing in swing gates.
One could also use it to brace or guy any light-duty structure, such as trellises or pergolas or the supports for tents or tarps. Quarter-inch stays can support thousands of pounds unless they are visibly corroded: you can cut off the terminals and rig them with rigging thimbles to anything strong enough to take the tensioning.
__________________

__________________
Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 12:05   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sequim, WA
Boat: Pacific Seacraft Dana 24
Posts: 165
Re: Is there any way to recycle old rigging?

Kept mine after standing rerigging. Soaked in a tub of warm oxalic acid then neutralized, came out looking shiny new. Repurposed for lifelines.
__________________

__________________
Xthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 13:42   #18
Senior Cruiser
 
roverhi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kona, Hawaii, Carlsbad, CA
Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Posts: 6,003
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Is there any way to recycle old rigging?

Recycled old 1/4" 1x19 stainless wire into life lines on my old boat. Got the wire out of a scrap pile in a boat yard, inspected it for broken strands or pitting, cut off the swaged ends and used Norseman Terminals to fit to the boat. Way Way stronger than the usual coated wire terminals without the problems of corrosion and more comfortable to lean against. Still in good condition when we sold the boat 10 years later.
__________________
Peter O.
'Ae'a Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 19:40   #19
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29° 49.16’ N 82° 25.82’ W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,373
Re: Is there any way to recycle old rigging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Recycled old 1/4" 1x19 stainless wire into life lines on my old boat. Got the wire out of a scrap pile in a boat yard, inspected it for broken strands or pitting, cut off the swaged ends and used Norseman Terminals to fit to the boat. Way Way stronger than the usual coated wire terminals without the problems of corrosion and more comfortable to lean against. Still in good condition when we sold the boat 10 years later.
I like the lifeline idea. Also plan to use them to rig jacklines.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 20:18   #20
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Re: Is there any way to recycle old rigging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I like the lifeline idea. Also plan to use them to rig jacklines.
How would you run the jacklines? I have enough trouble with the fabric ones; I would think you would be damaging your boat surface?
__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 20:28   #21
Registered User
 
Nicholson58's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Live aboard
Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Posts: 3,466
Images: 83
Re: Is there any way to recycle old rigging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
How would you run the jacklines? I have enough trouble with the fabric ones; I would think you would be damaging your boat surface?
Nicest jack lines I ever dealt with were on a Heritage One Ton. They ran in the inside radius where the deck met the cabin upright, following the curve of the boat. They had snap-on plastic covers. Positioned in the crack, you could never roll on them and they were permanent.

I am afraid our cast-off 3/4 inch stays might be too big for jacks or lifelines.
__________________
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 20:56   #22
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 10,666
Re: Is there any way to recycle old rigging?

True for you, Nicholson 58, but on our 36 footer, we used the old lowers for jacklines. It was convenient to just leave them out all the time, cause the rain washes them clean, they don't sun damage. Downside, is they need to lie outboard so they don'g roll under your feet.

Ann
__________________
Ann, with Jim, aboard US s/v Insatiable II, in Oz, very long term cruisers
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 21:20   #23
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29° 49.16’ N 82° 25.82’ W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,373
Re: Is there any way to recycle old rigging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
How would you run the jacklines? I have enough trouble with the fabric ones; I would think you would be damaging your boat surface?
If I read Nicholson58 correctly, on my last boat I ran them like he described. Mounted pad eyes fore and aft and ran the jack lines on the deck right up against the cabin. This was a while ago but I don't recall any significant scratch or dent to the deck.

I'm looking at options on the cabin top for my current boat as I think having the jack line closer to the centerline of the boat the length of the tether will keep you on deck and not hanging over the lifelines.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 00:37   #24
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Re: Is there any way to recycle old rigging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
If I read Nicholson58 correctly, on my last boat I ran them like he described. Mounted pad eyes fore and aft and ran the jack lines on the deck right up against the cabin. This was a while ago but I don't recall any significant scratch or dent to the deck.

I'm looking at options on the cabin top for my current boat as I think having the jack line closer to the centerline of the boat the length of the tether will keep you on deck and not hanging over the lifelines.
Are you using one or two tethers? As I single hand often, I use two, attaching one to the opposite side when possible, and sometimes to other attachment points such as the mast if I need to go out of the cockpit. In other words, I run two jacklines, one on each side of the boat. It's a bit awkward at times, but not as awkward as trying to make my way back inside of the boat when hanging over the side.
__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 09:39   #25
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29° 49.16’ N 82° 25.82’ W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,373
Re: Is there any way to recycle old rigging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Are you using one or two tethers? As I single hand often, I use two, attaching one to the opposite side when possible, and sometimes to other attachment points such as the mast if I need to go out of the cockpit. In other words, I run two jacklines, one on each side of the boat. It's a bit awkward at times, but not as awkward as trying to make my way back inside of the boat when hanging over the side.
Hanging off the side unable to climb back onboard is a real concern for me. Think I recall an incident where someone was stuck like that and ended up drowning. I think the only crew was his wife who couldn't get him back onboard.

Back in the old days (when I was young and foolish) I used a single line with a single clip. Now I'm older and wiser I have in the locker single lines with double clips but using two separate lines is an idea I'm considering.

Would be really hard for me to rig tethers to jacklines running port and starboard on the deck alongside the cabin. Too many obstacles that would require you to climb back and forth clipping and unclipping to move forward. Hasn't made it to the top of the list yet but if I can figure a way to run tether or tethers along the centerline of the boat that would seem to be the best option.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 10:02   #26
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,342
Re: Is there any way to recycle old rigging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
Why not just call some scrap metal dealers or recyclers? I took all the cables to a local recycler from a 38' sloop and I think I got $14.00--yes all of $14.00. Some hardware is actual stainless and more valuable, but most shrouds and stays are partially ferrous and therefore of little value--they just put a magnet up to it all. The scrap dealer kept saying that somebody ought to sue all these sailboat makers for claiming the cables were stainless. It's my understanding that it mainly is due to strength, but I'm not a metallurgist or materials engineer-but I do trust my rigger and scrap dealer.

The OP even wrote that he did not check with a recycler but a one second web search for metal recyclers in Channel Islands that anyone with a computer and internet can do yielded these Search Results--so why not call them?:
.......

....all of which once again underscores the value of searching online first to contact actual experts rather than posing a question to a broad swath of the sailing community where you will yield a dozen opinions, some reliable, some maybe not. If the OP finds that there are other markets and better answers, that's terrific and we'd love to see them. But I asked my rigger and he showed me a huge pile of other cables tossed into a corner. That pretty much answered it for me and the metal recycler confirmed it a day later.
All SS has iron in it.... a lot. and BTW, even good stainless can be magnetic, once it's been cold worked... which makes it stronger.


304SS is 65+% iron


Component
Wt. %

C
Max 0.08

Cr
18 - 20

Fe
66.345 - 74

Mn
Max 2

Ni
8 - 10.5

P
Max 0.045

S
Max 0.03

Si
Max 1


__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 10:39   #27
Registered User
 
Sailorman Ed's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Boat: Polynesia 40/42
Posts: 685
Images: 15
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Re: Is there any way to recycle old rigging?

I snag all I can, makes excellent porch and stairway railing.
__________________
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 11:08   #28
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Posts: 3,940
Re: Is there any way to recycle old rigging?

I simply can't countenance reusing standing rigging for anything involving a life saving purpose. Sure it's far larger than spec lifeline wires, or jack lines, but this stuff was retired for a reason. It was no longer considered safe for its intended purpose, reusing it in another mission critical application is just false economy.

Wire itself is cheap, just buy some more.
__________________
Greg

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 11:31   #29
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29° 49.16’ N 82° 25.82’ W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,373
Re: Is there any way to recycle old rigging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I simply can't countenance reusing standing rigging for anything involving a life saving purpose. Sure it's far larger than spec lifeline wires, or jack lines, but this stuff was retired for a reason. It was no longer considered safe for its intended purpose, reusing it in another mission critical application is just false economy.

Wire itself is cheap, just buy some more.
Breaking strength of 3/8" 1X19 is 10-15,000 lbs, depending on the alloy and whose data you use.

First, I wouldn't even consider using old wire without a very careful inspection but if it passed, why not?

The difference in breaking strength of the wire vs any strain that could possibly be placed on it for lifelines or even a harness tether is so huge I wouldn't worry, but that's me.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 12:33   #30
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Posts: 3,940
Re: Is there any way to recycle old rigging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Breaking strength of 3/8" 1X19 is 10-15,000 lbs, depending on the alloy and whose data you use.

First, I wouldn't even consider using old wire without a very careful inspection but if it passed, why not?

The difference in breaking strength of the wire vs any strain that could possibly be placed on it for lifelines or even a harness tether is so huge I wouldn't worry, but that's me.
Even assuming you chose to buy 3/8 1x19 wire. The cost for 80' of it would only be $290. So for at most $300 you are willing to use life safety gear that you know is not up to spec anymore?

Just an FYI the four Norseman terminals for jacklines would cost you $320. If you want to use them for lifelines, expect to spend a few thousand dollars on terminals, and save a few hundred bucks on old wire.
__________________

__________________
Greg

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rigging

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One of those hey there, hi there, ho there posts Noreasta Meets & Greets 13 25-09-2013 12:44
How to Recycle Old Sails ? rboom Construction, Maintenance & Refit 8 27-11-2011 11:27
Think Green ! Recycle Before Taking that old Boat to the Dump ! GetGreaner Commercial Posts 0 14-07-2011 12:46
Where to Recycle Oil Sailorman375 Construction, Maintenance & Refit 4 22-02-2011 14:32



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:20.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.