Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 16:15   #1

Boat: Pearson Wanderer
Is there a "reputable" place to help unstep a mast

Hello all, I have called over 20 marinas in the Sandy Hook area of northern New Jersey and I am only getting one person's name to help me unstep a mast on a Wanderer 30.

After reading on here about other people's experiences with getting their mast's unstepped/ restepped and their costs I was a little shocked when I was quoted $2000 to get it done.

I have been told by some marinas that due to Sandy's destruction people are increasing prices to help get their businesses back faster. I have also been told that since the boat is at a municipal marina I need to have someone that is licensed and/or part of a union. I have been told a lot of things but it's getting to the point of buying some friends a few beers and lower it ourselves (drinking after the lowering to help with the hernias)

Please if someone knows the north Jersey shore area and possibly has had their mast unstepped let me know who you used and about what you paid. I am ok with paying a few hundred dollars, just not $2K
Visionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 17:02   #2

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: Is there a "reputable" place to help unstep a mast

First, I assume you meant to ask where is a boatyard, not a marina. Second, removal of a mast is pretty simple, but you're going to need a boatyard crane or other form of "skyhook", unless your boat is fitted with a tabernacle (look it up). Be sure that all electrical wiring coming out of the base of the mast is labelled and cut. After the crane has secured to the mast and is supporting the load with the sling, up beyond the center of gravity (to keep the mast vertical),remove all the rigging by loosening the turnbuckles and pulling the clevis pins. The crane allows the mast to pull vertically without jamming in the cabintop and causing some expensive damage. The mast will then be lowered to the ground where it can be directed to cradles where it can be worked on. Contact any rigger to do this work for you. It costs about $500 in San Diego to remove and replace a stick. It's not a big deal. Oh, I forgot, it's New Jersey. Fuggetaboutit!
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 17:08   #3

The typical mast on a 30 foot boat can be removed by hand. No crane or yard or rigger needed.

Take all the wires off. Remove it.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 18:53   #4

Boat: Pearson Wanderer
Re: Is there a "reputable" place to help unstep a mast

Thank you both Roy and Daddle for the input. I should have said "boat yard" however most of the businesses that are boat yards in the area I am looking are labeled as "marinas". Replacing the mast step with a tabernacle will make things a lot easier both on the boat and the backs.

Great ideas!!!

Thank you again
Visionary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast